Latest iTunes for windows, no more app downloads

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by eugenemcardle, Sep 13, 2017.

1. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    Just installed latest iTunes only to discover that apps, books, ringtones can only be downloaded to a portable device. Only handles music, films, TV shows and the like. Caught me by surprise. I have backed up all my apps in the last three weeks, just have to see if I can side load them, or I might as well delete them and recover several tens of gigabytes on my hard drive. Never knew this was happening ☹️☹️

2. happypig

happypig New Member

Apr 24, 2013
    And as there are no more visible iOS apps accessible on iTunes on macOS, the click-to-buy buttons on TouchArcade no longer work. They bring you to a webpage, but do not open to the iOS app on iTunes.

3. Smallville2106

Smallville2106 Active Member

Sep 12, 2013
    So if apps are removed from the store we lose them forever, unless we keep them on our devices?

4. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    f**k, f**k, f**k
    I just updated the OS on my Mac and now I can't access any of my apps on my hard disk. There's thousands!!!

What a load of sh*te!!

I've kept old devices to play through old beauties too.

Hopefully I'm missing something here but if this is how it is then I'm oot!

5. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    oh, well, Apple Support tell me there's now no way I can access my old Apps from my Hard Drive - 7 years worth of stuff most if which isn't on the AppStore anymore. Och, well, it was all nice whilst it lasted but I think that's me done with any new stuff. Christ, I must've spent thousands on these games. Good times, though.
    Laters, all - and great to see PSJ back on the forums.
    Slam!!

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I haven't used iTunes for apps on my Mac for a while now, but this is dumb anyway. Hopefully they see the error of their ways and bring it back.

7. eugenemcardle

eugenemcardle Well-Known Member

May 21, 2013
    Retired, Math/Science Teacher, Air Force Electron
    Redcliffe Queensland Australia
    #7 eugenemcardle, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    I have an older version off iTunes on another PC and that allows me to download my apps still. I've turned off the update check and set it not to ask again.
    I have my library store on a portable drive so will download any newer apps on to that and will set my music to manual. Will see how that goes. APPLE WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD AND TURN US ALL INTO THEIR MINIONS. MUUUUHHHAAA

8. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    I'm with you, slam. What bothers me is that there was no real warning that this update would completely remove the App Store/our apps from our computers, let alone a rationale for this decision. And how does one back up or restore one's phone without iTunes? Hope you're not checking out from the TA forums as well! I'm on here much less than in the past but it's always a treat to read your posts.

9. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    ha - i'll still pop by but mebbes i'm just too old now. This morning I got excited as I could see in my updates that Dragon's Lair and Space Ace and Alone all got updates then I updated my OS - stupidly - and the rest is (no longer even) history.
    Guy at apple asked if I had a time capsule. Told him if I had a time capsule I'd still be dancing in fields.
    I know it's only games and it doesn't really matter but i was f**k of annoyed today.
    still a good laugh though. Off to find my time capsule to take me right back to iOS4.
    \o/

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #10 psj3809, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Sorry for the obvious reply but why do people update itunes and stuff instantly ? Wait to see if something like this might happen specially with the 32 bit apps being culled.

It is frustrating as anything, still cant believe Apple have done this. You just know in x amount of years there'll be a 64 bit cull as they move to 128 bit !

I installed the ios 11 beta a few months back, i knew what i was getting into. Installed all my old 32 bit apps on my old ipad and the culling i had to do on my phone was depressing so i know what you're going through. I had 700 apps installed on my iphone so a lot of tears were shed ;) Losing the Metal Slug games is frustrating, contacted them many times but never get a reply or anything. Those are the ones which hurt the most for me!

Then again its 'forced' me to play recent games as i have so many sat on my device unplayed which i know is ridiculous

11. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I use my computer for work and we're always told to update for security reasons - it helps keep our accreditation with CyberScheme Essentials plus. I'm also an idiot!!

12. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Although I haven't updated in a long while, I'm really pissed to see this happen, and know like always it will be inevitable that I have to face it. I use iTunes to legit buy iPad apps and sideload them to my JB iPhone. Maybe now I should go about it in a non legit way Apple? Is that what you want?
    I think it is an antipiracy move, at least in part, to make it harder to get hold of the .ipa and crack it for distribution.

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    This is so upsetting. I love the app store because I love having my games on the go. That's why I spend money there. Now they're removing it - and trying to stop you from keeping copies of your own damn ipas / syncing them.

Apple wtf is your problem? Apparently they think everyone just uses iPhones to stream videos and play music. They're giving the jailbreakers more reason to jailbreak. Now if someone talks about jailbreaking their device I'll tell them that's a great idea.

I was already miffed about the removal of access to documents inside apps to keep save files. Now we got this sht. I seriously question the direction they are headed. They should've been working towards more customization to compete with Android but they're just locking things down like a tyrant would.

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Just pondering if a class action or some sort of protest could be raised because Apple is now not letting us actually own the game of which we purchase?

I'm saying this having not read the terms, but will do so soon, but yeh, it seems like we pay money for an app, only now not to actually own it. It's closer to renting is what they're giving us?

15. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Go ahead and read the terms. Purchase of an app has never constituted ownership. From the TOS:

"Apps made available through the App Store are licensed, not sold, to you."

16. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    This is a really bizarre change. I can view apps on the web, but the only way I can then purchase them is to go over to my iPhone and search for the thing I'm looking at. Instead of just being able to click a link and purchase the app in iTunes. I don't understand how they could see this as an improvement. Unless they are going to make the app store available on the web instead of using iTunes. That I'd be cool with, except if they are doing that they should have already done it.

17. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I don't get this either. I had a friend comment "this is great, they're removing bloat from iTunes!", then a few minutes later he realized just what that "bloat" actually was. I don't see how this benefits anyone - users, devs, or Apple.

18. Jean pierre

Jean pierre Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Apple went too far. It is sad, but I will never buy any Apple/appstore product again.
    Sorry for the devs.

19. slamraman

Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I picked up Blinkbat's new game last night, Freeways, but that's my boycott still on. I'll still by Michael Brough, Quantum Sheep and Justin Smith's games but apart from that I'm done.

20. Jean pierre

Jean pierre Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2017