★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Block Fortress: Empires

09-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Block Fortress: Empires

Hi guys - we are excited to announce our next game, Block Fortress: Empires!

Much like in the original Block Fortress, you will be playing as a solitary marine, but in BFE you will be building both a home and defenses (more on this later). There are two primary game modes: a single-player campaign, and multiplayer base-raiding. The campaign plays very much like Block Fortress, in that you set up mining outposts on various planets (10 different biomes), build your defenses, and defend them from the other races that inhabit the Blockverse (namely Goblocks, Blockbots, Blockoids, and Zomblocks). Established mining outposts generate a steady flow of minerals, which are used in crafting and upgrading your defensive blocks and equipment.

The main way to play BFE, though, is multiplayer 1st- or 3rd-person base raiding. Think Minecraft meets Clash of Clans. As you can probably see from the screenshots, your home world is very long and fairly narrow (I think around 300x40 blocks to be exact). Don't worry; the maps are big, and still offer all the building freedom and strategic opportunities you have come to expect from the original Block Fortress.

At one end of the map you have your home, a large area that is protected by a massive shield. Here, you don't have to worry about strategic placement of turrets, etc. You have access to a huge inventory of decorative blocks that you can use to build your home however you want (we've got statues, paintings, radios, furniture, tons of block types, planters - even an arcade game cabinet). Of course, you will be able to show off and share your home with friends and other players.

In the front of your base, there is a huge door that leads out into the planet and defensive area. This is where you will build your defenses using turrets, traps, walls, and bot spawners. Strategic placement of turrets and clever traps are even more important in BFE, as these defenses are meant for the most dangerous game - human raiders. When a raiding player attacks, they must fight to, and deactivate shield generators. Once all the generators are deactivated, they must still get to your base's front door to open it and be victorious.

Before a raid, players can scout a base and choose their equipment loadout (5 slots) based on the defenses they see. Equipment includes a variety of weapons, but also things like a cloaking device, a trap sensor, decoys, a time-rewinder, and more. Once a player chooses his or her loadout for a raid, it is locked. Also, weapons don't reload during a raid - so use your ammo carefully!

One quick note for those wondering about the map shape - the long, narrow shape allows defenders to build a defense that they know the player will have to fight through. During early builds (with a large, square map), we found it very unsatisfying to build traps and turrets in various areas, only to have players attack the base from the other side of the map. The longer and narrower maps make it much easier to build defenses that a raider will have to deal with (while still allowing enough width for an attacker to sneak around poorly placed turrets).

Whew - that's about it! Of course, there's a lot more to the game like building your own raiding ship, clans (or factions, or alliances, or whatever we end up calling them), and customizing your character - but that's for another post. We hope you're as excited as we are about this one!

09-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Super excited

Looks very promising! Cant wait to see your first multiplayer focused game!

09-13-2017, 03:43 PM
Oh baby.
09-13-2017, 04:33 PM
I was expecting Block Fortress 2, but I'm actually way more excited for this! This will be quite the mash-up of the first 2 BF titles, with more of an emphasis on multiplayer as well! I like the 'attack from one direction' aspect because the later levels of BF1 make it really hard to defend your base from enemies attacking all sides.

One question: When you say "bot spawners", is that talking about your own blockmen ai units, or actual bots like in BF1?
09-13-2017, 05:59 PM
In multiplayer will the raiding party actually steal the defenders resources? If I am successfully raided will my resources be lost?
09-13-2017, 06:30 PM
1) Will it work on iPad 4 just like Noblemen?^^
2) Will it have some kind of a volcano biome?
09-13-2017, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albeolupus View Post
In multiplayer will the raiding party actually steal the defenders resources? If I am successfully raided will my resources be lost?
Nope - we wanted to make the motivation in this game about being rewarded, not a fear of loss. When you raid a base you get rewarded, and if your base successfully defends an attacker, you also get rewarded. On a related note, you also have a separate raid and defense auto score, which goes up and down with wins and losses when attacking and being attacked. You can progress by being a proficient attacker and/or having a great defense (of course you'll advance faster and farther if you have both!)
09-13-2017, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenan2000 View Post
1) Will it work on iPad 4 just like Noblemen?^^
2) Will it have some kind of a volcano biome?
Yes and yes! We'll probably post some screens of the other biomes later...
09-13-2017, 07:03 PM
Dear god! It's happening... again!

Just brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
09-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykeryso View Post
One question: When you say "bot spawners", is that talking about your own blockmen ai units, or actual bots like in BF1?
In BFE, the bots are AI units that are spawned from blocks placed in your defenses. There are several bot types, with different weapons and spawn rates that attack raiding players. When you raid a base, it is pretty much just you and your command ship (although there are a few pieces of equipment that can spawn NPCs to help you).