★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Apple just smashed a final nail 32-bit apps coffin!

09-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Apple just smashed a final nail 32-bit apps coffin!

This move has right pissed me off. Seriously, I am genuinely mad with Apple right now. It's the iPod Click Wheel Games chop all over again.

You know all the work we have put in to out 32-bit culling thread & News item?

Well, one of the back up plans was to download them to iTunes (desktop) to keep. If an app developer decides they no longer want to keep their Apple dev licence, their apps get removed from not only the store, but your purchased list too. Well, with a backup, we could just sync them over to our 32-bit devices right? Not anymore.

Apple have just removed the iOS store from iTunes desktop with iTunes 12.7.

Apps? Not listed showing in iTunes.
Updates? Not updated in iTunes.
Connect your device? iTunes doesn't show a single app (not even the file sharing feature for supported apps).

So, what does this actually mean? Well, those downloaded games are now useless. There's no way (in iTunes at least) to sync those backed up apps back to your device.

Your folder of downloaded apps is still on your computer. They're just useless files.

This move coupled with the 32-bit culling is literally banishing games that are no longer on the App Store.

I'm currently dumping them to an external hard drive in the hope that one day there'll be a way of using them. Though I doubt it.
09-13-2017, 04:48 PM
Okay,

Should have done this sooner. I'll not delete or edit that first post for prosperity.

I went searching after posting & found this page. Seems we can drag items from our computer to the device (although this feature isn't actually working for me at the moment).

This does of course mean;

[A] We'll need to remember the app by title rather than recognise the icon
[B] If an app is (finally) updated to 64-bit, we'll not actually know or be prompted via iTunes

So, still not perfect. Not great at all. But not quite as 'final nail' as first thought.

Last edited by FuZion; 09-13-2017 at 04:56 PM.

09-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuZion View Post
Okay,

Should have done this sooner. I'll not delete or edit that first post for prosperity.

I went searching after posting & found this page. Seems we can drag items from our computer to the device (although this feature isn't actually working for me at the moment).

This does of course mean;

[A] We'll need to remember the app by title rather than recognise the icon
[B] If an app is (finally) updated to 64-bit, we'll not actually know or be prompted via iTunes

So, still not perfect. Not great at all. But not quite as 'final nail' as first thought.
i couldnae get this to work today. Did you get it to work? It wouldn't work with Apps for me.
09-13-2017, 05:24 PM
No, it didn't work for me either.

09-13-2017, 05:33 PM
So the only way to keep them is to have a working iOS device with the 32-bit app,that's it?Well,that's exactly what I thought.
09-13-2017, 06:26 PM
I just installed apps from the app store onto an iPad air2 using the previous version of iTunes on windows 7. Ios10.3.3
Worked fine, maybe try later on ios11 but don't see the point as yet.

Different note BGII:EE just been updated to 64 bit. When their other two games are updated I'll be a happy man.
Tried to post this as a new thread, won't let me😏

Last edited by eugenemcardle; 09-13-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
09-14-2017, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuZion View Post
No, it didn't work for me either.

deid!

What a real shame.
09-14-2017, 02:33 AM
Wait, file sharing is gone? What do you do with apps like VLC or GoodReader now!? O_o

Everyone's favorite chamber of death, doom and decomposition.
09-14-2017, 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Wait, file sharing is gone? What do you do with apps like VLC or GoodReader now!? O_o
unless they're on your Device you cannae get them even if you've got them. First they came for game center and i didnae speak up as I thought it was all a bit of misunderstanding, then they came for my old apps, and i cannae be bothered any more.

😢
09-14-2017, 03:09 AM
Yeah i heard about this happening to itunes. I wont be installing it !

Got an old ipad 2 so i went through my list of apps which wouldnt work on my iphone 6 ios 11 and installed as many as i could to my old ipad. Its frustrating i cant have these on my phone (Surely Apple could create some sort of '32 bit emulator' but there we go.

Have all the old games on my ipad and backed up as many .ipa files as i can on my home PC.

I'm an 'app dipper' so i tend to go in and out of so many apps i have on my phone (256 gig) but i'm gutted i cant play some of my old old favourites. Shame the devs wont update them but obviously if they're not making money theres no point. Think thats why its so important people buy games rather than wait for price drops/promo codes, help the devs out. If their games are successful they'll do updates for sure