★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Doom, Skyrim & Wolfenstein coming to Switch. What about mobile?

09-14-2017, 04:00 AM
Doom, Skyrim & Wolfenstein coming to Switch. What about mobile?

It's weird, with all this talk on how powerful the iPad Pro and the new iPhone X lets be honest.

The App Store is reminiscent of the state of gaming that lead up to the video games crash of 1983..

I.E. 600,000+ flood F2P/P4F crappy "games", Cash grabs, and copy cats all pandering to the lowest common denominator. (Whales and dolphins)

I know Apple is proud to tout $$figures, but the truth is %70 of those revenues come from less then 1% which means an overhwhelming number of people find F2P/P4F not worth paying for.

-I don't care about the hardware excuses anymore (Bioshock ran decently on an iPad Air 2-3 years ago)
-Apple has made some efforts with the whole 'metal' development
-iPhones/iPads are multimedia devices like pcs and have the added benefit of long battery lives that people can choose to manage themselves
-There are the occasional ports like Autogrid, XCOM, NBA2K8, Rome.
-There are MFI controllers on the market that have proven to be good = Steel Series Nimbus and Gamevice.
-people are willing to pay $700+ for these devices and $30+ for professional apps, but find $5-$10 for console/pc class games expensive

The App Store when it comes to games has remained abysmal and shown little improvement since 2009.
So what's going on?

There are high expectations and standards for Apple devices, but the very opposite for game content.

Yeah, yeah, if I want console/pc class games on the go it is best I get a Switch, the question that needs to be brought up more is why can't iPhone/iPads do this?

IF La Noire was available, only able to run on the three of latest generations of iPhone/iPads, 8GB, and was $30+ with convenience of able to play it on the go (even if you have to conserve battery life) would you?
09-14-2017, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Bison View Post
The App Store when it comes to games has remained abysmal and shown little improvement since 2009.
So what's going on?

-people are willing to pay $700+ for these devices and $30+ for professional apps, but find $5-$10 for console/pc class games expensive
I do agree with some of your points but i wouldnt say its been abysmal since 2009. I do think theres been a 'slight' increase/surge of premium priced games recently, lots of games i've seen on Steam then seem to be on iOS and i've spent a lot of money the last few months on some of these games. I arrived to iOS in about 2011 and theres been plenty of classic games, i buy so many. Obviously a lot of shovelware as well but there have been some gems.

I totally agree that people buy these expensive devices and then you see begging posts from people asking the dev when will there be a $1 sale off their latest game etc ! Then moan when its all freemium when devs dont make enough money with premium games !

Its sad that Doom/Wolfenstein arent on ios. I mean we dont even have these old 'ports' of Doom/Wolfenstein/Duke Nukem anymore as they've been lost to the 32 bit cull. Would LOVE to see Quake II appear on iOS but sadly hasnt happened.

Would like more 'big name' ports though on iOS, for me Baldurs Gate was great (just about playable !) but Bioshock was a huge letdown, had that for i think a few months before the latest iOS killed it.

As a retro gamer the 'pinnacle' of ports seems to be GTA San Andreas, the rest are older games (Baldurs Gate about 1999 or so). I think we need some big name ports to really shake things up

Last edited by psj3809; 09-14-2017 at 07:57 AM.

09-15-2017, 01:43 AM
If not Skyrim, then maybe Oblivion? I agree, iPhones and iPads have come a loooong way, and now the graphic capabilities of the new devices rival that of the PS3 and Xbox360. I think they are also on par with the Nintendo Switch, which is getting Skyrim. IIRC,Todd Howard of Bethesda before promised an Elder Scrolls games, TES travels I think, and that was in the 3GS/4 era? I'm quite sure present devices can run Oblivion and Skyrim. Heck even a game like Morrowind would would be 1000000% sure to run on ultra high settings.

Hearthstone BattleTag: SlighMD#1173; (Americas region)
Currently playing: Hearthstone, Planescape: Torment, Cat Quest
09-15-2017, 04:30 AM
If only people were willing to pay. We made our own bed. And Apple doesn't help with pushing game-breaking updates often.
09-15-2017, 04:52 AM
It comes down to the money. Nintendo owners have been shown to happily pay $70 for a game; iOS owners tend to shy away from anything over $2.99. I have no doubt that the current generation of iPads and iPhones could run Skyrim, but not enough people would pay for it to make a touchscreen port worth the effort. Apple really needs to start packing in controllers with iPads - it would completely redefine it as a gaming device.

2017 GOTY nominations: SAO: Memory Defrag, Death Road to Canada, Spaceplan, Arkanoid vs Space Invaders
Switch ID: Krillin 5948-6652-1589
09-15-2017, 12:48 PM
Doom is about 70+go
Good luck storing that on your phone.

Twitter: @realtech_VR
Visit realtech VR Facebook page.
09-15-2017, 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmamba View Post
Doom is about 70+go
Good luck storing that on your phone.
Some could if they want to.
09-15-2017, 07:46 PM
Quote:
So what's going on?
This has to be sarcasm, right?

Quote:
IF La Noire was available, only able to run on the three of latest generations of iPhone/iPads, 8GB, and was $30+ with convenience of able to play it on the go (even if you have to conserve battery life) would you?
You just nailed it on the head. Yes, people being unwilling to pay much on mobile has something to do with it, but in many instances a port of an existing game (where the major costs have already been sunk and hopefully recouped on other platforms) can work really well on mobile, even at lower prices. See the GTA games selling in the ten dollar range and constantly being in the charts.

But the second you start bringing newer generation big open world games over, then you're going to start sacrificing your battery. And for 99.9999999999% of people that is unacceptable. You can live with playing a game like that on Switch and only getting 3 hours out of it because you aren't relying on your Switch being charged to get a call from your kid to pick them up from practice, or using it to find your way when you get lost on a road trip. Or in a serious emergency, possibly being the difference between life and death. "Why did Gary die? Welp he bled out because I couldn't call 911 after playing LA Noire all morning." For the vast, VAST majority of iOS device owners, gaming is secondary to the myriad of other things they rely on their phone to do. YOU might be willing to have your device die in a few hours, or carry around a battery pack, or only play while plugged in, but you're in the minority. And I mean TINY TINY minority.

That's not even touching on the control factor. Yes, MFi controllers are pretty good and make a lot of games much more playable. But sales numbers for these things are depressingly low. People don't WANT controllers for their mobile devices. The entire point of gaming on a mobile device is that it's quick, it's always on you, and you always have everything you need right there with you. The second you start needing to lug around some form of controller peripheral, you've lost basically everybody.

The "hardcore" gaming segment of the mobile community will always exist, and will be more willing to make some of the concessions noted above. But we're talking a handful of people within a market in the BILLIONS. Even if thousands of people want to make their mobile device a full blown gaming platform with controllers and higher priced games, they are still a minuscule sliver of the pie, which very few companies will be in a position to realistically cater to.

The reasons the Switch is doing so well is because it's a dedicated gaming device. The only reason you buy one is to play games. It comes with built in physical controls, and it offers a number of different ways to play both on the go and at home on a TV like a regular console. It's also CHEAP compared to iOS devices.

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of amazing premium games on mobile. Enjoy them for what they are, and if you absolutely MUST have a console-like, AAA or whatever gaming experience on the go, then get a Switch. It's never going to happen for iOS in our lifetime.

Fondle me on Twitter:@JaredTA
09-19-2017, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardumb View Post
. It's never going to happen for iOS in our lifetime.
We never know what the future might bring to us. Don't rule it out entirely.
09-20-2017, 01:34 PM
Switch has Tegra X1, which is in the Pixel. X1 benchmarks: https://browser.geekbench.com/android_devices/331
Single-Core Score: 1347
Multi-Core Score: 3034

iPhone X benchmarks: https://browser.geekbench.com/ios_devices/52
Single-Core Score: 4204
Multi-Core Score: 9944

iPad Pro 10.5" benchmarks: https://browser.geekbench.com/ios_devices/46
Single-Core Score: 3889
Multi-Core Score: 9217

Yes, iOS devices are fast enough to run Doom, Skyrim, and Wolfenstein.
No, iOS users are not willing to pay $60 for any of these games.