iOS 11 Thoughts and the Death of the TA App

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by moonwax, Sep 16, 2017.

1. moonwax

moonwax New Member

May 9, 2012
    So what are people thinking of the iOS 11 updates?

I have just installed the release candidate and it strike me that this is a minor update, for iPhone at least. The iPads enhanced multitasking, copy-pasting and file support should be big for productivity (I’ll trial all that later today).

The big change to me is the App Store, this has seen a complete revamp and it’s certainly for the better. Daily curation of the latest and greatest apps, seperate sections for Games and Apps and a beautiful new UI. I’m a big fan.

However it does make me crave the biggest feature that I have wanted since first using the App Store, a Wishlist. It just seems so strange that you have a great experience finding new apps but there is no way to record the ones you are interested in. This issue is amplified further with the biggest problem of iOS 11, the loss of support for the beloved TouchArcade app.

That’s right, I upgraded forgetting that the TouchArcade app was going to die and now I have a dead icon sat in my dock. I suppose I am going to have to get used to viewing the blog on the web and having no more alerts of game news and deals. How will TA app, how will we cope without you!

Attached Files:

2. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    The old App Store has a wish list. The new one doesn’t sadly that I can find. I’m not super happy with the new store, but that could just be change.

3. gamingaficionado

gamingaficionado Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    wait it doesn't??!

then again i am not surprised. no idea what apple is doing. even the ibooks appstore doesn't have a wish list on the app itself, so i have to go through itunes to see which books i have added. i don't think i can even add books to my wishlist on the app. again, have to go through itunes.

sometimes these things turn me off so bad from the whole mentality of the ecosystem. and the way they treat the gaming market is just horrid. they know they can get away with it, sadly, and they do it.

4. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Yeah I’ve been frustrated for a long time the bookstore doesn’t have a wish list. I’ve been pouring through the new App Store since I joined the ios11 beta and didn’t find a wishlist anywhere. Individual apps don’t have an option to be placed on the wish list either. Very frustrating.

My only thought is that Apple is hoping this stops the race to the bottom on prices. Will you check for price drops every day or just give up and spam the buy button?

5. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    What I did, to lessen the bitterness of losing the app, was to delete it when iOS 11 was announced. Then after around a month, I just got used to it not being around, as new releases and updates are posted on their twitter feed anyways.

6. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    I saved the website to the home screen.

Not exactly the same, but better than nothing.

7. happypig

happypig New Member

Apr 24, 2013
    I think the actual list of apps in our wishlists have been removed. I tried accessing my wishlist using an older version of iTunes (<12.7) linked to my account, and the resulting page was empty. So it's gone in iOS11, gone in iTunes 12.7, and empty on lower versions of iTunes.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I royally messed up. Had ios 11 beta for a while, 'presumed' ios11 would just install on top of that. Nope ! Had to go back to an earlier cloud backup (ios10) install that and then install the proper ios11.

All the apps are 'waiting' and its a major pain trying to get them to install. Doh !

9. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Will inbe able to still use the app in the new ios?

10. Patjelol

Patjelol Active Member

Jun 22, 2017
    I've got iTunes 12.6 and my wishlist is still there, with all the apps I had on it.

I already knew I wasn't going to update both iTunes and iOS, after all I've read and heared I'm glad I decided not to. :D

11. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    You didn’t need to do that. The GM which was released about a week before the official release is the same build, so all you needed to do was install the GM and then remove the Beta Tester profile and you’re good to go.

12. Aurizen

Aurizen Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Yeah I plan on waiting to update until the new TA app releases. To find out the new app store doesn't have a wishlist wtf Apple!

13. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Anyone else having a battery issue with os11 and their ipad? I have a 1st gen pro12.9 running iOS11. Just started in the last hour or so if I unplugged the pad from the charger at 100% battery charge about 10 seconds later the ipad shuts off. When I try to turn it back on it shows no battery charge. I then plug it back in to the charger cord and bam, powers up and shows 100% battery.

Didn’t do this yesterday. Started this evening after I turned the ipad off completely for about an hour.