★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Ali Mehrez
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 133.5 MB
  • Version: 1.0.6
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (4)
App description: « Grapple Gum will be a must buy when it finally launches » TouchArcade.com
« Grapple Gum is an intense and action-packed arcade action platformer shooter that you're bound to get stuck to because it's so good. » AppAdvice.com
« Grapple Gum is super fun and charming. » (Mike Gordon, Iron Horse Games, LLC)
« Grapple Gum's visuals and music are both lovely and really make the game stand out among the competition. » TouchArcade.com

Grapple Gum is an award winning SlingShot-Action-Platformer in which you play as a little pink piece of gum and grapple across moving objects. It's a neat mix of mechanics as you can float through the space, hitch a ride by hooking on the various platforms, and slingshot your way from one piece to another while also shooting at all kinds of targets, including big bosses and the little various sooty critters nibbling at your toes.

Grapple Gum was awarded "Best Mobile Game" and "Game Of the Year" by the Tunisian Game Awards 2017 with a jury composed by Susan Gold (founder of the Global Game Jam), Leevi Rasila (GDWC Event Producer) and Moacyr Alves Junior (ESL Brasil Partnerships Director).

DENSE CONTENT
- Play 10 levels filled with 10 Gigantic bosses and hordes of hand painted, kid friendly, critters.
- Discover 6 Awesome and Unique Weapons, with 3 levels of upgrade for each.
- Unlock 42 Bonus, which offer exceptional replayability.
- Enjoy Fast paced, touchy and crazy satisfying action.

BEAUTIFUL GRAPHICS
The doodle artwork is brought to life with fluid animation and popping visual effects. Every component has been recreated in meticulous details!

INTUITIVE TOUCH CONTROLS
Grapple Gum features a One touch control. Tap, hold or swipe and hitch a ride with your grapple or shoot at everything and leave a mess of bursted monsters! Intuitive controls deliver a gaming experience both fun and challenging.

ONLINE LEADERBOARD
Compete with players all around the world and see who is the very best

FUN FOR EVERYONE
Grapple Gum is easy enough for anyone to pick up... but it requires tenacity and quick reflex to master.

liva's comments:

Hi guys!

Grapple Gum for iOS is out! The awesome news is that Grapple Gum is also featured in many countries, including China woot woot!
I'd like to thank all of TouchArcade awesome beta testers for participating in my beta test. The builds I shared with you saw plenty of installs and, more importantly, some fantastic feedback. Please feel free connect via email, Twitter, Facebook -- whatever you'd like.

All the best,
Ali "Liva" Mehrez

EDIT : After ~1800 hours of solo development and 2 Awards, Grapple Gum is OUT and is the first Tunisian game being featured world wide on the Apple AppStore!

Here is a short summary of my journey

Quote:

Hello everyone! I'm Liva, a French and Tunisian indie game developer.

Two years ago, Aged 29 and working for a multinational corporation assurance company based in Paris, I decided that it was now or never for a career change, so I gave it a shot. I left everything and went to Tunisia, a small country in north Africa. Since then, I’ve been dedicated to my passion for game design and development.

Also, we got a dog.
Quote:

I had the ambition to make something that really tries to nail the "action shooter" feeling. So I began to work on a prototype.

There are few thing my previous game easyBoat taught me, and one of them is that I really dont like virtual joystick, touchpad or buttons on touch screens, but I had to find a solution to give the player the ability to move and shoot, so I came up with this prototype. Nothing crazy but I really liked the grappling mechanic and I taught to myself that It was the perfect solution for a mobile shooting game. I was hooked.(sry)
Quote:

The next thing was to work on the shooting mechanics and make it works with the grappling hook.

There were many design issues.

- Should I tap "on" things or just tap on their direction to shoot/launch my grappling hook?
- What does the character do if I tap on a monster but there is a platform between me and the target?
- In that case, does the character attack or launch his grappling hook?

It took days to finally have something that felt really good.

Quote:

This is a splatter shader effect I use, after few enhancement and dozens of emails between many game dev WAY better at this than me, it is now super efficient on mobile!

One of the things I'm really proud of is being part of the Game Dev community. The community is always helpful and has become a great source of information for beginners and experienced game developers. If you need a question answered or just want some feedback, there is always someone to help on reddit, discord or many others forums.

Quote:

I quickly began to work on a new art direction and I've decided to emulate the aesthetics of doodles and drawings, and came up with various style of monsters and critters.
Quote:
As well as creating each bosses and making sure that every monster of the game is fun and interesting, it had to be designed so that the player can always understand their mechanics in a fraction of second.

Quote:

It also had to be designed so that the player can always find a way to hook on something and move easily and smoothly.

Quote:

This game has rogue-like progression, and some of your upgrade choices will carry over into the next run.

Additionally, to make things a little more complicated, I wanted to make the game like a pseudo open world, where you sling yourself around to fight baddies, collect stars (3 stars per level), and do boss fights. How much time you spend on a level will depend on your play style

Quote:

Designing Grapple Gum was tough, so I had to take care of myself. Running and swimming are part of my weekly routines. Working solo on a game is hard, spending most of the days alone on a computer can do a lot of damage but I really think that most of my motivation came from the discipline of my life style.

Quote:

And ultimately, work always pay off. Grapple Gum was awarded "Best Mobile Game" and "Game Of the Year" by the Tunisian Game Awards 2017 with a jury composed by Susan Gold (founder of the Global Game Jam), Leevi Rasila (GDWC Event Producer) and Moacyr Alves Junior (ESL Brasil Partnerships Director).

This was the first time I won something doing what I love the most, I was, and still am, so proud.

The result of months of work, what I would call a "SlingShot-Action-Platformer" in which you play as a little pink piece of gum and grapple across moving objects and shoot everything.

I really think it's a neat and original mix of mechanics as you can float through the space, hitch a ride by hooking on the various platforms, and slingshot your way from one piece to another while also shooting at all kinds of targets, including bosses and various little sooty critters nibbling at your toes.

I'm still working on the game, and I hope to release some cool updates with news boss, monsters and everything.

Was it fun ?
Yes

Did I learn anything ?
A lot.

Do I regret it (months of unpaid work and countless of sleepless night ) ?
No.

Would I do it again ?
HELL YEAH!

Quote:

On of the other things I'm really proud of, TouchArcade reviewed Grapple Gum and gave it 4/5! I'm gonna update the hell of my game and get that last star guys!

Quote:

I launched the game few days ago and it got featured in many AppStores including China, USA, Canada, Brazil..., which is super cool and gave the game a MAJOR boost of downloads.

What is next?
- Well, Now that the pressure of a failed launch is gone, I'm back working on few updates and new features. Hopefully I'll have the update ready before my departure to the Indie Prize competition, where I am a finalist!

How is your dog?
She's cool!

Quote:

Her name is Leia, and I think that rubbing her belly gives a bonus of +5 on luck or something
09-17-2017, 08:39 AM
Congrats on the release. I did not get in on the beta, so, I'm coming in fresh. I'll report back with some impressions in a bit.

09-17-2017, 11:47 AM
Pulled the trigger.. Getting ready to fire this one up and see what it does..
09-17-2017, 12:22 PM
I am looking forward to hearing your feedbacks
09-17-2017, 12:37 PM
My first run.. it's definitely unique arcade shooter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1006.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	116809  
09-17-2017, 12:41 PM
Only 10 levels? I think so short!
09-17-2017, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyClash View Post
My first run.. it's definitely unique arcade shooter.
haha, good game!
09-17-2017, 02:24 PM
If your first run lasted 15 min maybe this is a little to easy ?? Imprrsssions ?
09-17-2017, 03:03 PM
It looks great, I will certainly buy it when Apple will give back the possibility to backup our apps on our computers.
09-17-2017, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean pierre View Post
It looks great, I will certainly buy it when Apple will give back the possibility to backup our apps on our computers.
go, jean pierre. I'm in the same boat but I have a feeling we'll be waiting a while.