★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: powARdup is an AR exclusive game with unique 'laser pointer' controls, short bursts of gameplay and gripping arcade progression. Augmented reality allows you to battle through intense waves of enemies on any flat surface, so you are able to start a game wherever you happen to be.

The replay feature allows you to focus on the significance of the real world location while recording immersive and mind blowing gameplay footage.

Pause the game at any time to explore the frozen chaos of powARdup! Get a up close and personal with the detailed explosions and madness happening right where you're standing. Re scale the game to the appropriate size by pinching from the pause menu. chose whether your ship is the size of a real car, or the size of a pea!

Personalise your ship with the skin selector with over 20 ships to chose from! The Supercharged Pack brings you 5 Hot Rod inspired ships which give you 20% more speed right from the start of the game so you can achieve your highest score yet!

GlennX's comments:

09-21-2017, 05:56 AM
$1.49, not free in Australian store, FYI.

09-21-2017, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the info but the game was only free because someone (me if I'm honest) managed to mess up the permissions on V1.0 so that anyone with iOS11 could download the game, even if their device couldn't run it. V1.1 fixes this. Presumably appshopper needs to catch up.

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
09-22-2017, 05:03 AM

-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-

Last edited by GlennX; 09-22-2017 at 06:27 AM.
09-25-2017, 06:18 AM
The controls are what we built this whole game around but they do seem to confuse anyone who has ever played a tilt game for about 30 seconds. It isn't a tilt control. Your ship follows the target in the centre of the screen. You point that by moving your camera. It's easy and incredibly precise, making powARdup possibly the fastest AR action game around. It's certainly a welcome change from furniture arranging...

-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-

Last edited by GlennX; 10-12-2017 at 07:13 PM.
10-04-2017, 08:55 AM

New update. Faster ships, reflections, better audio. Still the fastest AR blaster on the app store.

-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
10-06-2017, 04:04 AM
Nice. But I have the feeling that there should be a possibility to switch the tilt controls to inverted.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
10-06-2017, 09:07 AM
Controlls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
Nice. But I have the feeling that there should be a possibility to switch the tilt controls to inverted.
Hey, thanks for the feedback.

We have tried using other control systems but for the most part they don't work. powARdup doesn't use tilt controls at all, but instead has the ship follow the target which always stays in the middle of the screen. Reversing this would make the ship fall off the edge of the screen and reduce visibility. Think of it as pointing the camera as oppose to tilting the devise and it will quickly begin to feel much more natural.

Thank you for the feedback though! I think a solution could possibly be a better explanation of how the controls work while the game is being set up. It's tricky as there doesn't seem to be a standard for AR control systems yet!
10-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the feedback
We get that reaction quite regularly, mostly from people who have played a few tilt games. I understand why, you tilt the phone to the right and the ship moves to the left. The thing is that it isn't a tilt control. Your ship chases the target in the centre of the screen in the same way that an enthusiastic cat might chase the dot from a lazer pointer. It's actually extremely precise and as simple as pointing your camera at something. I had the same reaction myself but when you think about it, reversing the controls isn't an option. If it was tilt controlled it would simply leave the right of the screen as the camera view panned left. One of our main focuses was to minimise this 'the controls are reversed' effect. This is why the target became so large and obvious with a very visible trail.

The problem is, as you develop something you get used to it. We were hoping that by dropping the player straight into an in-world UI they would quickly get the feel of it and by the time they'd figured out how to stop on the play button but some sort of tutorial is probably needed.

After a bit of practice it feels like the ship is attached to the target by a rubber band and after a bit more, you're swinging it around in huge controlled drifts, we need to take the player through this learning process. Maybe I should draw the rubber band...

-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
10-06-2017, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the info. Interesting. As far as I understand: Its NO tilt controls (but it feels like that)but "camera panning" controls. I should have recognized that earlier since I'm a camera operator (DOF) in real world.

When I concentrate on the laser pointer (kind of cross hairs) then it is fine to play. When I'm watching my ship I have the feeling the controls are inverted. But hightech anyway, everybody should try that.

Maybe add some info that you can catch the red enemies when your ship is sparkling. I found that out late.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)