iPad Chasmic Rush - A Mazing 3D Flyer

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by chasmicgames, Sep 26, 2017.

1. chasmicgames

chasmicgames Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Probably the longest maze in video game history. How far will you get?

Launching November 4th 2017

Chasmic Rush is a high-end 1-Button flyer where the player has to guide his ship through the longest maze in video game history. The goal is to offer players a unique challenge over and above "Infinite Runner” style games, in a carefully designed maze that balances out positive and negative space which makes it more interesting to play.

[​IMG]

Note: This is a very difficult game to complete :D

Easy to play, but extremely hard to master as it needs 1-button precision at supersonic speed. It is unlikely you will ever reach the end, but you will have lots of fun trying!

GAMEPLAY
    - Controls: Tap to jump, Hold to thrust, Release to drop
    - Fly through the chasm and don’t hit anything
    - Rescue Astronauts
    - Collect Coins to trade for faster Ships
    - Avoid the BlobEmoji

FEATURES
    - Furiously fast finite flyer with genuine 3D graphics
    - Highly addictive, just “one more go” gameplay
    - Fabulously fun with innovative game mechanics
    - Play Landscape showing full view or Portrait for a demanding one-handed challenge
    - Colourful gorgeous graphics running at a silky smooth 60fps
    - Maze segments in the Chasm are precision placed for optimum design and non-repetitive feel
    - Finite level design lets you develop a strategy to improve, while retaining challenge

If you reach the end of the Chasm you will be awarded XP based on the ship you used. To score more XP you have to win with different ships.

ENHANCED WITH METAL
    Due to the complexity of the 3D graphics, only Metal devices are supported because they permit super-smooth frame rates of up to 60fps.

This will be a paid game, and I am currently thinking about what the price should be….

Nalin Sharma
    Developer

Follow us!

web: www.chasmicrush.com
    blog: www.chasmicgames.com - plotting the end of the Infinite Runner
    twitter: https://twitter.com/chasmicgames
    facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chasmicgames/

2. chasmicgames

chasmicgames Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Small Beta Test - anyone interested?

Hi Everyone,

I recently made some changes to Chasmic Rush including providing Shields on the Red Lobster ship for the first 10 seconds which will make it easier for new players to get into the game. I also reduced the number of Emoji monsters in the maze and made them move slower to make it easier for players to navigate through.

Therefore I am looking for a handful of testers to with iPhones that are metal-enabled to join the TestFlight beta and share their feedback here on the following:

- How far did you manage to get?
    - What do you think I can do to improve it?
    - Any other feedback?

If anyone is interested then please could they PM me with an email address and I will sort out a TestFlight beta in the next few days.

thank you

Nalin

3. Simoqsa

Simoqsa Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    I'll give it a go when it's out.

4. chasmicgames

chasmicgames Member

Sep 25, 2017
  5. sYntiq

sYntiq Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Thanks for the Beta-Invite.

I played the first iPad-Version on an iPad Pro 10.5 with iOS11.1 for some days now.

It´s kind of addicting like „Ok, just one more round…“.

The Game looks good. (Especially the Backgrounds.)
    For „the first iPad-Version“ it runs really fine. I couldn´t find any bugs or reproducable problems. (
    The Game crashed as I was scrolling through the different ships. But that happened just one time so maybe its not the game but the iOS11.1 Public Beta. :))

Some things I miss or wish:

- Is there a function to pause the game?

- Maybe you should add some more music. Listen to the same notes of the same song over and over again with every new run could become a pain in the neck over time…

- Actually you show the Highscore in the top-Left Corner of the screen but only the points, not the percentage of how far the player got. In my opinion the distance is more important than the Score I got through a run.

My longest run was about 47% with the Lobster and I thought „Huh? Maybe this game is not THAT hard“ but then I looked at the Video you posted in the Thread-Opener. Have you changed the speed of the lobster after recording this Video, or is there actually a problem with the iPad-Version? The Lobster moves way slower on my iPad than in the video.

I had planned to add some iPad-Screenshots here. They will be added later. Forgot iPad and Screenshots at home today…

6. chasmicgames

chasmicgames Member

Sep 25, 2017
    @sYntiq

Many thanks for posting your feedback and experiences - very much appreciated :)

- The Game looks good. (Especially the Backgrounds.)
    Awesome - means a lot to hear you say that

- It´s kind of addicting like „Ok, just one more round…“.
    Great to hear and you're not the first to say that, so thank you!

Glad you could find no bugs, apart from the Ship Selector - thought I had crushed that bug, but it's still there, please let me know any repro steps, as it seems well hidden

Other points:

No pause yet - will add to the feature requests
    Same for music, or at least give the option to play own audio
    Highscore % - hmmm - at present this contains a point per percentage. I had % in earlier but found it cluttered the screen - will have a think about this

47% - that's really good. The video is a bit faster and fine tuned from an earlier build as it has to fit into 30 seconds for the preview. Since then I made the Lobster start slower, and then it accelerates to a max speed. I also added a shield as a request to help new players (and my mum) into the game

Screenshots would be great!

cheers

Nalin

7. sYntiq

sYntiq Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I played around with the Screen-Recording-Feature you offer within the app. So here is a little run from about 10minutes ago. :) (Its also the first time I tried to upload a video to YouTube on my iPad. )

YouTube: video

8. chasmicgames

chasmicgames Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Awesome - glad the record worked - you beat me to it as I was just about to ask if you could check it.

Can I just ask about the aspect ratio, as the video seems a bit squashed horizontally?

Does the game look ok on the actual iPad? some screen shots would be fab :)

Nalin

9. sYntiq

sYntiq Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Here are some Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no iPhone, so I can’t compare it directly but as you mention it...yeah, maybe it was stretched a little bit from top to bottom (or squeezed from left to right. :)

10. chasmicgames

chasmicgames Member

Sep 25, 2017
    hmmm - yes it does look stretched.

While I try and figure this out I have sent you an invite for the iPhone version which may run in letterbox mode. Please give this a try if you can and let me know if this runs ok at the correct aspect ratio ( as per the Youtube video)

cheers

Nalin

11. sYntiq

sYntiq Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Heyho.

Here is a new little video made with the newest Chasmic Rush-Version. The game looks better now. The aspect-ratio seems to be correct now, I think.

https://youtu.be/hW7JOhkO4Og

12. chasmicgames

chasmicgames Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Awesome - and thanks for testing & posting!

13. chasmicgames

chasmicgames Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Free webGL preview of Chasmic Rush on Facebook....

I managed to coax Unity into building a WebGL/Facebook preview of Chasmic Rush which is completely free to play in a browser (Chrome recommended), so if anyone fancies a go it is here:

https://apps.facebook.com/chasmicrush/

It may take a couple of minutes to load, so your patience will be appreciated :eek:

Have fun :D

14. chasmicgames

chasmicgames Member

Sep 25, 2017
    Portrait for a Dangerous Mode

I’ve always been a fan of having a portrait view of a mobile game because it feels such a natural way to play a game, and it is in harmony with users who normally hold a phone in one hand - Crossy Road did this really well.

I had built the portrait / landscape autorotation into my game engine but I never expected to use it for Chasmic Rush - I only left it in by accident. What I found was that not only did it work, but it made the game significantly more dangerous, because you have less visibility over what's coming, and hence an additional challenge.

The irony about the Dangerous Mode is that it actually raised my concentration levels to the point that I’m more likely to go further when I play it :p