★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: App Store: Games Category Needs Sub-genres

09-19-2008, 08:30 AM
App Store: Games Category Needs Sub-genres

As I type this, there are over 800 games in the Games section, of all types. There really needs to be sub-genres now, as searching through all the games in a particular type such as Solitaire for example, is nigh on impossible.
Example sub-genres could include:
Puzzle Games
Card game
Board games
Driving games
Retro Arcade games
Etc, etc.
09-19-2008, 08:32 AM
There are sub-genres already. Go into the main Games section and on the left column you'll see a list under the title 'More Games'

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website

09-19-2008, 08:35 AM
That's only in iTunes. On the device itself you just gotta scroll and scroll and scroll. The same categories in iTunes should be in the store on the device.

Devs also need to be scrupulous as to how they categorize their apps. There are quite a few where I'm like, no this is not an arcade game, this is not an RPG etc.
09-19-2008, 08:37 AM
My apologies, I should have clarified.
I meant when browsing App Store on the device, not from within iTunes.
09-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Ah of course. I rarely use the one on my iPhone because it's so limited (not just sub-genres, I find the whole thing clunky.)

"Arthur & Charles Present Create & Play" now available on the App Store
iTunes - Arthur & Charles Website
09-19-2008, 08:46 AM
As much as I hate what Atari is doin' to folks, I bet we wouldn't need sub categories if Nikoli made everyone take down their Sodoku clones.
09-19-2008, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmdowning42 View Post
As much as I hate what Atari is doin' to folks, I bet we wouldn't need sub categories if Nikoli made everyone take down their Sodoku clones.
HAHA

The modern puzzle was invented by an American architect, Howard Garns, in 1979 and published by Dell Magazines under the name "Number Place". It became popular in Japan in 1986, after it was published by Nikoli and given the name Sudoku, meaning single number. It became an international hit in 2005.

Courtesy of Wikipedia :P
09-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Actually, I think they both are pretty terrible. The AppStore app on the iPod/iPhone is limited because it doesn't have subgenres and because it doesn't have the "All iPod Touch Apps" (etc) listing, which is nice for seeing what's new. The one in iTunes is lousy because I find it difficult to navigate and, in fact, all the sub genres and such are completely worthless because you can't get a complete listing of just Games in backward order of release (which you can on the iPod), you can only get a listing of "All iPod Touch Apps". Also the highlighted "New" section is completely worthless. It lists stuff that isn't new at all. In fact the only useful part of the iTunes version of the store is the "All iPod Touch Apps" listing and the search capability.

Both the iTunes and iPod versions stink because the update mechanism is still ridiculously broken. I don't know about others, but the latest thing for me is that any time I choose to download all free updates, it doesn't actually download anything. I have to then go to the Store menu and choose "Check for Available Downloads" and only then does it download them. I have to presume that there's plenty of people out there who simply are never getting any updates even though they think they are. Of course that's only one problem with it. You have to wonder when they are going to get it working properly.

Both version are also lousy because they should be in the browser and not in iTunes or an App. Why? Because often I'm looking at stuff and I just want to make a note of a certain title, and there is no way to do that. You can't open the app listing in a new tab (like you could in a browser), you can't make a bookmark (like you could in a browser), etc. It would be greatly simplified and also more useful if it were browser-based (which would be easy to do since it is essentially browser-based, you just can't open the pages in your web browser.) Removing the store from iTunes would also allow iTunes to trim down and perhaps become more spritely.
09-19-2008, 09:22 AM
I agree. I'm not allowed to install iTunes at my job, so I can't browse music or apps or anything all day. 'Course if they did make it browser based I'm sure it'd be all Web 2.0, and I ain't allowed to install FireFox or even update this ancient version of explorer we use.

HAHA
Wiki is where I got my info too. Woulda used Garns' name, but apparently he's dead.