★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Pick a new name for Gamelab and get a free copy of the game.

12-31-2008, 02:26 PM
Pick a new name for Gamelab and get a free copy of the game.

Today I got a very interesting email:

Quote:
Peabrain Games,

I was recently pointed to your website and your new service, called "Gamelab."

As you may or may not know, Gamelab is the name of a company that I co-founded in 2000. We make and distribute computer games under that name, and therefore your use of "Gamelab" is an infringement on our established trademark. We have consulted with our IP counsel on this matter and it seems like a very unambiguous situation.

I assume that this was an honest mistake. However, while we very much support independent game development, it is imperative that you cease using "Gamelab" as the name of your product. Please confirm that you received this communication and that you are taking action to change the name as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Eric
So now we get to come up with a new name for Gamelab. Luckily this is happening now, before we hit the top 5 in the app store (knock on wood).

David and I have been brainstorming ideas but nothing is jumping out at us. We have been calling it Gamelab for over 6 months now and we need some fresh brains on this problem. So I turn to you. Let's hold a contest where you get to pick the new name for Gamelab. The top 3 choices will get promo codes to Gamelab (or whatever it ends up being called).

Some Rules:
  1. Game names can't be names of companies that already make games. During our brainstorm we really liked greenlight games but it was allready taken.
  2. We know we may have to change the radioactive logo we have now to accommodate a new name so don't let that hinder your creative thinking.
  3. We can't use names that are too risky, like GameOrgy.
  4. Be Creative and Have Fun!

We want the name to somehow convey some of the things we find important with Gamelab. Some ideas we embrace are grassroots movement, collaboration, game independence, gaming revolution, etc.

To get you started you can look at the mindmap David and I started by clicking here.

Well let the contest begin! Maybe if we are lucky Gamelab will have a new name in the new year.

Thanks in advance for your creative input!!

If you want to talk things over or ask any questions you can call or text me at the number below. Or you can email me.
(eight oh one) 712-5177

Also I'll be posting what I like or don't like about the games on our Twitter Page as we go along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New_Product_Name.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	502  

Nacho
(801) 505-9115

Last edited by nachorevolution; 12-31-2008 at 03:34 PM.
12-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Playmix. Or Gamemix(er). I dunno. Appplay, that's a nice play on p's. I'm not very creative. Any of these work, at least based on your mindmap.

12-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Big Ol' Bunch O Games

GameF**k

Stüf

dirty deeds and their dunderchee
12-31-2008, 02:31 PM
PlayBuffet, GameExchange, PlayRevolution, GameFlood (Flood as in the parasitic hiveminded creatures from Halo)

↪ GameCenter : Igoo

Last edited by Igoo; 12-31-2008 at 03:02 PM.
12-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Games Lair

I'M ON A MAC MOTHAF*@%!

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95
12-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Funspace

Game Now

Spark Labs

I dunno...
12-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Cumulation
Game-o-rama
TouchLab
12-31-2008, 02:42 PM
I would suggest Gamebox, but PDAMill owns that. Uhhhhh.... GamePlay?
GamePod?
I like GamePod...
12-31-2008, 02:44 PM
GamingRev
Touch2Play

I LOVE A P P L E !
12-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Send a message via AIM to istopmotion Send a message via MSN to istopmotion
Multi Puzzler
Game Mash (lots of games in one)
Constant Change (always new games?)

I like those, but it's really up to you. Good luck everyone with coming up with new names

Please follow me on Twitter!
I LOVE all Guitar Hero/Rock Band games. Gamertag is 'istopmotion' Add me if you want a challenge