The October-November 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Final Fantasy Tactics

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Hello gentle readers, and welcome to the RPG Reload Play-Along. Each month, we'll be playing an iOS RPG together, sharing laughs and tears in equal measures. The post on the front page is basically here to announce the game in question and give a few tips on getting started. The real action will be happening here in the TouchArcade forums, where you'll find a thread dedicated to each month's featured game. Sign up if you haven't already, post your screenshots, ask for advice, or just chat about your misadventures with others. We've got a great community of RPG fans here at TouchArcade, so let's make the most of it!

September saw the Play-Along finally changing gears from our JRPG-laden summer. Instead of menus and medieval settings, our intrepid Reloaders got a dose of action and the abstract with Supergiant's Bastion. With the game being a little on the short side and fairly straightforward, the thread wasn't among the busiest we've seen this year. On the other hand, a few commenters opted to narrate their adventures in a similar style to the in-game narrator, so I still think it was a win overall. Thanks to everyone who participated in the September Play-Along, and I hope to see you join us again!

As is usually the case with my larger-scale projects like this, I have a schedule written fairly far in advance for the Play-Along. I wasn't sure if my original schedule was going to hold out this time around, but fortunately, the game got its 64-bit update and all is well. Thus, it's time for the RPG Reload Play-Along of Square Enix's Final Fantasy Tactics, the legendary TRPG that has a place in the hearts and devices of many of our readers. Now, I know what some of you are thinking: this is a really long game, and one month isn't enough time. I agree! So like Final Fantasy 5's Play-Along, this one will be two months long. That's right, you have all of October and November to get through. Let it never be said that this is not the TouchArcade age of kindness to the readers!

2. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    #2 falcon815, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    I've played this through at least 30 times - why not another? I've got a party of 5 Orators (Mediators if you prefer the older translation) ready to go, and I'll be using the old GameFAQs Single Character Class rules for this playthrough. I will only use Mediator and Mediator abilities from Dorter Trade City through the rest of the game.

Team, I'm here to help on this game. Strategy questions, mechanics questions, whatever you've got, send 'em my way. I have a couple tips for new players to start off.

1) There are several sequences of multiple battles in this game where you will have the opportunity to save between fights, but you will not have the opportunity to exit out to grind / buy equipment / etc. This includes a point of no return late in the game. It's good policy to keep multiple save slots going just in case you run into a fight that you just can't pull off.

2) For those familiar with the FF series mechanics, some standard mechanics have changed in this game. Notably, gravity spells and other things that do damage based on % of HP always do so based on Max HP, not current HP. So, no matter what the enemy is, from Goblin to final boss - if you land Demi four times, it's dead.

3) GameFAQs is a great resource on this one. In particular, I recommend the Battle Mechanics Guide, which is a ludicrously detailed document that gets into the nitty-gritty of all the damage and success formulas, and how to maximize them.

4) Your Zodiac sign matters. Zodiac compatibility is a component of just about everything in the game that isn't a self-targeting ability. Typically it affects either the damage dealt or the success rate of the ability. My wife wrote a Zodiac compability guide that is also on GameFAQs. I will point out that if you are a Gemini like me, you might want to consider changing your birthdate in-game; there is a particularly nasty boss late in the game that is a Sagittarius, and with his HP regen, you're going to have a rough time offing him as a Gemini.

Attached Files:

3. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Well I've been wanting to give this another try so I'm in. I've tried a couple times before and just couldn't get into it. I'm one of the minority that doesn't like the job system games. The last time I played it was on my PS2 so it's been awhile. Maybe I'll see it a little differently this time around.

4. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    now is the time

I have been meanigto get in on a playthrough here AND I've been meaning to play this from top to bottom for ears ( i always start and then quit frustrated very shortly after).
    So, it seems now is the time.
    Any advice for a guy that has years of experience with TRPGs, but "strangely enough" finds thing title hard as hell?
    I just don't know what is wrong with me and this title (I had the same problem with BG2, always going first for Nalia's castle and getting beaten up and quitting then and there. Then I changed strategy and started doing other quests earlier, then got more and more into it and found it easier).
    Will download and start it now so I have more time lol

5. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Orator Challenge - Slums in Dorter

This one took a couple tries because I had horrible luck with guest behavior. I eventually had to remove Defend from Argath, else he'd forget he had a crossbow, and just sit there like a tool holding his arms up and hoping they'd stop arrows and flames. Similarly, I started off with Delita as a Knight with Squire secondary, hoping he'd build strength once or twice and go beat stuff up. Mostly, he also just sat around, so I changed tactics.

I gave Delita and Argath both Item secondary; Delita had earned enough spillover JP from the first couple of battles to get Potion and Phoenix Down, while Argath just had Phoenix Down. Made Delita a Knight and fully equipped him with the buyables at Eagrose. Made Argath an Archer with same.

My four ... Orators (still can't get used to calling them that) went in with the best available equipment from Gariland (Mythril Knife / Plumed Hat / Leather Clothing / Battle Boots). Three had Entice (low chance to permanently turn an enemy Traitor) and Enlighten (target Faith -20), while Ramza just had Enlighten.

I spent round 1 running up the building and using Enlighten to lessen the threat from the Black Mages. When my first two people reached the top, I tried two Entices on the Archer up there; both missed, so I beat him up. I left Ramza on the first level of the roof to block the Knight from being able to chase us. There's only one panel he can possibly climb up, and if you block him, he sits there on the front step of the building like an idiot and lets you beat him to death. So, that's what Ramza did for the next few rounds.

Meanwhile, Argath got murdered by both Black Mages and the weaponless Archer. I beat up the weaponless Archer easily, then landed an Entice on the Black Mage who was partnered up with an Archer. That caused the other Black Mage and the remaining Archer to waste valuable time and MP killing the traitor while I hung back and let Delita raise Argath with a Phoenix Down. Ramza finished off the Knight, and at that point, it was six of us against two of them, and their remaining mage was out of MP. Winning from there was easy.

(Note for less experienced players: "Spillover JP" = each active member of the party earns approximately 1/6th of the JP that other party members do when they perform actions. So, if you're sitting there in Squire and someone else gets 12 JP for performing a Chemist action, you as the Squire get 2 Chemist JP. It's not much early on, but it can really build up, especially if everyone is in the same class for a fight or three.)

6. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    It's hard for me to nail down what might be wrong since I don't know where or why you're having trouble, but here are some thoughts:

- Aim for learning attack abilities that are unavoidable, e.g. Physical attacks with guns, Summons, Meteor, Holy, etc.

- Always keep plenty of healing in the party, especially someone who can use Ethers if you're running mages. Many battles can be easily won as wars of attrition because enemies rarely have decent healing, and even more rarely have MP restoration.

- Speed is probably the most important statistic in the game. Classes that are faster than most include Monks, Thieves, and Archers. Time Mage is also a very, very worthy ability set to go for.

- If you prefer to have the AI do the fighting for you, go for Lancer; Lancer AI is pretty smart on the whole.

7. Avaniar

Jul 26, 2016
    @Falcon815
    Thanks for the tips.
    Truly my problem is in the beginning. Like the fourth battle or so when there are some white and black mages and some powerful fighters.
    I have now won the two first fights, church and the delita past thing.
    I will keep playing and come back when i get to the part i find stupidly hars (i say stupidly because i know i am being stupid around it and that is why i am not winnng).
    Also i have a deep hatred of chemists. Really, it is such a stupid class for me. Don't see the point in it, except as a stepping stone.
    One think I hate in the game in the xp jp system and the way some units get left behind just because they cannot do something productive.
    I prefer games where you get xp at the end of the battleand youbget a nicely rounded out party all at the same lvl.

8. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    How is the experience and Job Points handled? Is there a pool that gets divided evenly at the end of a battle or do all charecters get a set amount? Just wondering if a smaller party would level faster.

9. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like Dorter, then (2x Black Mage, 1x Knight, 3x Archer), or maybe the Brigand's Den (couple White Mages there). Dorter seems to be a common roadblock. Having plenty of healing makes that battle a lot easier. The enemy mages run out of MP pretty quickly and are utterly useless afterward. There's also an Archer who doesn't have any weaponry, you can ignore him until later in the fight. Also, move to the roof early and try having a unit camp on the spot I've marked with an X on the attachment. The Knight will try to chase you, but he'll get stuck on the step below. You'll be able to attack him, but he won't be able to do anything about it.

Chemists are fine. They're a little weak early since they're a starter class, but they're really hard to kill and a team of them can annihilate pretty much anything once guns are available in chapter 2.

If you're having trouble with units not being able to do anything productive, put Squire secondary on them and have them throw rocks or use Focus to get quick JP.

Attached Files:

10. Avaniar

Jul 26, 2016
    Yeah

Yeah that is it. Tks for the tips i will try it like you say. Will be back, hopefully after passing that successfuly

11. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    EXP is gained with each action on an individual basis. You get 10 EXP for an action performed on yourself or on something of the same level. +/- 1 for each level up or down the target is from your level. +10 EXP bonus if you kill a target.

JP is also gained with each action on an individual basis, but you get bonus JP for actions other party members take (see my comment earlier about "spillover JP".

Party size does not affect EXP/JP gain.

12. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Orator Challenge
    Sand Rat's Sietch

I took advantage of the initial layout and landed an Entice on the lead Knight on Argath's side of the map. This gave us a couple rounds of him as a meat shield to lob Entices past him to turn the other Knights as well. Meanwhile, on the other side of the map, Delita and two of my folks beat up the Monk and charged in to finish off the enemies, who were nearly done hacking each other to bits.

Stripped the equipment of the Invited Knights, booted the Traitors, passed equipment on to Delita and Argath that they could use, then sold the rest to upgrade the hats and clothes of my team in Dorter.

Brigand's Den

Argath was targeted with a nasty spell in round 1; I hit him with two Enlightens to knock his Faith down and prevent most of the damage. Landed two early Entices on a Thief and a White Mage. The Thief Charmed the other White Mage and I Enticed the other Thief while the enemies were busy fighting each other. Turns out 8 on 1 isn't much of a fight. This fight is actually really sad plotwise if you turn the mooks Traitor.

Stripped equipment, booted the traitors, moved on.

Had enough JP to learn Threaten (Target Brave -20) on three of my five characters. Threaten's a fun one - if you get a target's Brave below 10, they literally turn into a chicken, run away, and can't act until their Brave recovers back up to 10. It's a great, high percentage way to neutralize an enemy or two to get them out of the fight for a bit as an Orator.

Lenalian Plateau

Took two tries; Delita wasn't super smart about using Phoenix Downs and kept reviving a Black Mage that I turned Traitor, except the Mage kept dying before he could ever get a turn. Meanwhile, I lost an Orator in the melee on the other side of the board, and Delita never came over to help her.

Next time around I turned both Knights Traitor, Enlightened the Black Mages into oblivion, and there was a lot less damage flying around. Eventually we cornered the boss and Threatened her counterattack damage away.

13. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks. I was toying with the idea of trying to keep things simple by limiting myself to a 3 member party. I still might do it. Are there times where you are forced to use certain characters?

14. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    #14 falcon815, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Typically, you will be allowed to select four characters in addition to Ramza.

Sometimes, you will only be allowed to select three characters in addition to Ramza because you have a guest or two in the party. You can never control guest characters.

There is one rather infamous battle that is
    a forced 1v1 duel

15. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    How did I miss this starting today??? Alright, let’s go. I’ve played through this at least twice already this year, time for the third.

I’ll give the strategy for the end game some thought. I generally power through chapters one and two as not a lot of resources are available. Chapter three is when I start getting creative.

16. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm ready to get company in this game ^^ Already a fair bit into it. I'm on the slower side though so I won't start a new save. I'm exited!!!

17. Avaniar

Jul 26, 2016
    Ok, So I have defeated the bandits and their doggy (lol) on the third mission and I have been to the Beoulve castle and I am on my way to the next mission. I will probably be deploying Ramza, a squire, an archer and a white mage. I have bought like 10 potions and a staff for my white mage. I will probably start getting the equipment and go broke lol.
    Now, as far as strategy goes, I always think JP boost is a must and the first Squire ability I need to purchase (aaaand counter tackle). Is it so?
    Tks :)

18. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Generally, my first purchased abilities are focus and JP boost. Together they let you grind out battles fairly well early on for JP.

For those playing it the first time, I’d add my usual strategy is to stick with Ramza and 4 generics. The story characters are really flashy, but Tactics is a game that is easy to totally break wide open. Generics can get focus plus JP Boost while a lot of story characters can only get JP boost. That means generics can accumulate abilities easily and become demigods.

19. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    #19 Milotorou, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    I feel up for it ! But are we only having this game for 1 month as the play along ?

I dont think i can finish in one month #

Edit : I can declare myself an idiot, havent read the topic itself before posting, sorry Shaun, I shouldve known youre smarter than this...

Gotta start the game later today, I bought the HD version on sale a while ago (I went hard enough to buy FFT, FF3 and TWEWY in both versions...lol) So ill give it a shot on my iPad pro, will allow me to check if the iOS 11 patch works good !

Ill provide some feedback once I get a bit further, last time I played this game was in 2012 when I got my first iPhone hahaha

20. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    I started last night before bed. I'm not far, just the intro battle and the first battle of chapter 1. I was up late enough as was and stopped there. Pretty happy with the randomly rolled generics I got. I'm thinking despite my advice about the generics earlier I'll do a "story run" where I ditch the starting generics after Chapter 1 and pretty much stick with the characters I receive in the story as it goes along. This simulates the situation Ramza finds himself in at the end of chapter 1. I did that for my power run prior to iOS 11 when I was scared the game was going away for good, but I didn't run the sidequests. I'll do that and the sidequests for sure this time.

A couple of things to know as you all play:

Hold on to the generics you get at the start of Chapter 2 (Rad, Lavian, and Alicia), despite the fact they're outclassed immediately. The two female knights are required for the "Gift of the Magi" mini-event that was added in War of the Lions. And all three make great quest runners on the jobs board at the taverns that show up around Chapter 3 (though possibly earlier).

Last but not least: Keep a thief around. Seriously. There's some pretty awesome and unique equipment that's not available in stores that is found on the mooks and bosses in this game.

Also, I'm doing a "Game Cleared" run. That won't make a difference for Chapter 1 and 2, but starting in Chapter 3 you'll get access to the Poacher's Den. If you're doing a "Game Cleared" run that means you'll have access to high powered weaponry at that point. Even without a "Game Cleared" mode available, I'd suggest you dabble in poaching as it can unlock pretty sweet stuff starting in chapter 3.

One request: As you all play through let me know how you handle Boko. In particular, do you keep him in the party and let him fill your roster with all those eggs, or will you all end up setting him free. Chocobos seem to breed like rabbits on viagra.