★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iTunes 12.7 and app backups for PC?

09-28-2017, 11:44 PM
#1
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 40
iTunes 12.7 and app backups for PC?

hey! so how are you backing up your apps on pc wih the new itunes? are you using another program?

this sucks because what if an app disappears from the appstore? how are we supposed to have a digital backup on our drive for later use? what about families with one itunes and multiple devices? are they supposed to download updates on every single device? what about not having internet connection to download a game?

i cannot comprehend the logic behing this shitty move.
09-29-2017, 04:11 AM
#2
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 9,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingaficionado View Post
hey! so how are you backing up your apps on pc wih the new itunes? are you using another program?

this sucks because what if an app disappears from the appstore? how are we supposed to have a digital backup on our drive for later use? what about families with one itunes and multiple devices? are they supposed to download updates on every single device? what about not having internet connection to download a game?

i cannot comprehend the logic behing this shitty move.
I can't either but I've come to terms with it. It's just Apple being Apple.

Everyone's favorite chamber of death, doom and decomposition.

09-29-2017, 11:46 AM
#3
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 40
thanks for chiming in.

i accepted that my WHOLE ebook library got erased even though i had spent HOURS tweaking titles, authors' names, book covers. i am now rebuilding it from the ground up on caliber. 800+ ebooks.

but apps?? seriously this is so messed up. if apps didn't get removed without notice then i wouldn't have had problems. but i have apps that i have downloaded, never touched but still reassured that they're "there" when i come around to them. now i am forced to waste some precious space on my device to keep them on it.

and what if they get removed eventually like the 32 bit fiesta? all our money down the drain.

sorry for whining but i have very strong feelings towards my hobbies (reading and gaming), and to see myself and other customers 💩💩💩💩ed over with a shrug and a "get used to it" seems like an insult.
09-29-2017, 01:07 PM
#4
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingaficionado View Post
thanks for chiming in.

i accepted that my WHOLE ebook library got erased even though i had spent HOURS tweaking titles, authors' names, book covers. i am now rebuilding it from the ground up on caliber. 800+ ebooks.

but apps?? seriously this is so messed up. if apps didn't get removed without notice then i wouldn't have had problems. but i have apps that i have downloaded, never touched but still reassured that they're "there" when i come around to them. now i am forced to waste some precious space on my device to keep them on it.

and what if they get removed eventually like the 32 bit fiesta? all our money down the drain.

sorry for whining but i have very strong feelings towards my hobbies (reading and gaming), and to see myself and other customers 💩💩💩💩ed over with a shrug and a "get used to it" seems like an insult.
It is pure lake of consideration of the small percentage of the customers like us... My long story with Apple is getting to a near end.
09-29-2017, 02:25 PM
#5
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 40
for real? ughh

the ONLY thing still keeping me with them is the fact that many games launch a lot sooner on ios, the achievements, and the fact that a lot more devices are supported compared to android which is far more fragmented.

i loved the fact that itunes centralized everything digital in my life: from books, to games, to music. i just spent the last hour reorganizing my whole ebooks library on caliber and it's such a waste of time.

do you really think we are a small percentage? many ebook readers for example must be fuming.
10-02-2017, 01:47 AM
#6
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingaficionado View Post
for real? ughh

the ONLY thing still keeping me with them is the fact that many games launch a lot sooner on ios, the achievements, and the fact that a lot more devices are supported compared to android which is far more fragmented.

i loved the fact that itunes centralized everything digital in my life: from books, to games, to music. i just spent the last hour reorganizing my whole ebooks library on caliber and it's such a waste of time.

do you really think we are a small percentage? many ebook readers for example must be fuming.
I also have a big backlog of ebooks but fortunately I have been using Goodreader to manage them + a copy in Dropbox and my PC.
If you are on IOS 11, you can install IFile and use the "document" folder to store safely your ebooks and whatever you want. There is a video tutorial on FCE365 website.
Trusting itunes to manage your documents is a foolish for me.
10-02-2017, 03:45 AM
#7
Joined: May 2013
Location: Nr Cairns Australia
Posts: 307
I have all my ebooks on Calibre. I don't buy from iTunes because of the DRM. All my books have had DRM removed. I use iPad mini as my ebooks reader. Calibre is a great FREE programme, worth having a PC just for that one programme. I have many thousands of ebooks, spent hours organising them. I also read a few😀

All my apps are still in the library as per before 12.7, just not visible in iTunes. If you install an older version they will come back. You can drag and drop apps from explorer ti iPad/iPhone just can't see the icons. I'm pretty sure books will also still be in you computer library, just not visible with 12.7. I have had my iTunes library, music and apps, on a portable drive for about 18 months now. Luckily I have an older version of iTunes on a second PC so I can access the apps as before. I've checked and new purchases still update, as well as all my older purchases, when I use the older iTunes and click check for updates. I believe that it's only the music sync that needs to be done from the same PC to avoid rebuilding library on the iphone. I've never had any issues with apps, although I now tend to purchase direct to device then download overnight to my PC about once a fortnight.

12.7 is much better handling the music side of things now, I can sync in a couple of minutes where as before I had to keep cancelling backup.
10-02-2017, 12:01 PM
#8
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenemcardle View Post
I have all my ebooks on Calibre. I don't buy from iTunes because of the DRM. All my books have had DRM removed. I use iPad mini as my ebooks reader. Calibre is a great FREE programme, worth having a PC just for that one programme. I have many thousands of ebooks, spent hours organising them. I also read a few😀

All my apps are still in the library as per before 12.7, just not visible in iTunes. If you install an older version they will come back. You can drag and drop apps from explorer ti iPad/iPhone just can't see the icons. I'm pretty sure books will also still be in you computer library, just not visible with 12.7. I have had my iTunes library, music and apps, on a portable drive for about 18 months now. Luckily I have an older version of iTunes on a second PC so I can access the apps as before. I've checked and new purchases still update, as well as all my older purchases, when I use the older iTunes and click check for updates. I believe that it's only the music sync that needs to be done from the same PC to avoid rebuilding library on the iphone. I've never had any issues with apps, although I now tend to purchase direct to device then download overnight to my PC about once a fortnight.

12.7 is much better handling the music side of things now, I can sync in a couple of minutes where as before I had to keep cancelling backup.
thank you for chiming in! i spent all my weekend tweaking and updating my library on caliber. 400 books.

like you, i purchase legit kindle books and strip the drm because i want to own that shit fully.

also rocking an ipad mini 1 currently (looking into a new ipad to install all of the games i have since apple also 💩💩💩💩ed us over apps and i am scared to lose games i really wanna play.

like you (also lmfao) i have everything backed up on a couple of external hard drives, however i am worried about the long term. like, yes, our apps before 12.7 are there but what's next? for the next few years? we just have to deal with this crap sadly. honestly apple is frustrating nowadays.
10-02-2017, 01:10 PM
#9
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingaficionado View Post
thank you for chiming in! i spent all my weekend tweaking and updating my library on caliber. 400 books.

like you, i purchase legit kindle books and strip the drm because i want to own that shit fully.

also rocking an ipad mini 1 currently (looking into a new ipad to install all of the games i have since apple also 💩💩💩💩ed us over apps and i am scared to lose games i really wanna play.

like you (also lmfao) i have everything backed up on a couple of external hard drives, however i am worried about the long term. like, yes, our apps before 12.7 are there but what's next? for the next few years? we just have to deal with this crap sadly. honestly apple is frustrating nowadays.
i bought only 1 ebook from Kindle but the book is not in pdf format in my ipad, just sliced and crypted. Do you think I can create a pdf with Calibre?
10-02-2017, 01:11 PM
#10
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: NYC suburbs (New Jersey)
Posts: 1,561
What happens if you have iOS 9, and you use iTunes 12.7 to sync/backup? Will the 32 bit apps disappear, or will they remain on your device since iOS 9 is installed?

Thank you for any help.

240,000+ Game Center Achievement points
Gamecenter ID: Donny K76
PSN ID: donnydj76
Let's go Yankees!