★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Armello is a grand swashbuckling adventure combining three styles of play; The deep tactics of card games, the rich strategy of tabletop board games, and the adventure of fantastical RPGs.

As a hero from one of Armello's Great Clans, you'll quest, scheme, hire agents, explore, vanquish monsters, cast spells and face off against other players, with one ultimate goal in mind; becoming King or Queen of Armello! The Kingdom of Armello is as dangerous as it is beautiful. Perils, banes and bandits hide around every corner and a spreading corruption known as the Rot leaves no creature untouched.

Easy to Play but Hard to Master: Armello is easy to pick up and experience, yet its deep and emergent possibilities emerge as you play. Includes acclaimed story-driven tutorial mode.
Fast & Thoughtful: Adventuring in Armello is fast-paced fun filled with deadly, tactical and politically complex decisions.
Multiple Playable Heroes: Each unique Hero possess a special power, stat line, AI personality and can be equipped with an Amulet and Signet Ring to further match your playstyle.
Dynamic Sandbox: Gorgeous dynamic world which procedurally generates a new map each and every game, complete with a dynamic quest system ensuring no two games of Armello are ever the same.
Turn-Based Day & Night Cycle: Use Action Points to journey across Armello's hex-based board and use our fuzzy turn-based system to play cards even when it's not your turn.
True Tabletop Feel: We've spent years cherry-picking the best parts of the tabletop experience, like our physics-based dice.
Animated Cards: Over 150 beautifully animated in-game Cards from artists all over the world.
World Class Soundtrack by Michael Allen and internationally acclaimed artist Lisa Gerrard.

Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/armellogame
Follow us on Twitter: @armellogame

Privacy Policy: http://www.armello.com/privacypolicy/
Terms of Service: http://www.armello.com/termsofservice/

NOTES:
1) Compatible with iPad Mini 4, iPad Air 2, iPad 9.7" and iPad Pro, iPhone 6 and up. Armello WILL NOT be able to run on earlier generations, even if able to be installed.
2) Armello is a graphically rich game with advanced features. To OPTIMISE your playing experience, you may want to turn off other apps before playing.
3) Armello's Monthly ($5.99 USD), 3 Month ($13.99 USD), & 12 Month ($35.99 USD) Subscriptions grant access to premium content, including all Heroes, all Hero Skins, The Bandit Clan, Seasons Board Skins, all Premium Dice, all Novellas. Subscribers also gain access to exclusive, evolving subscriber Badge and Dice and a 10% discount on Chests! Please note that subscriptions in Armello will be charged on your iTunes account after purchase. Your membership or subscription will renew automatically if you do not cancel at least 24 hours before the renewal date. Your subscriptions can be managed and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your Account Settings after purchase. Should your subscription lapse, purchased content will persist, however all content granted via subscription will be inaccessible until subscription is renewed.

Talbs's comments:

Armello

League of Geeks
Genres: Games Board Strategy
Free

Quote:
Experience the internationally acclaimed and award-winning digital card and board game that has enamoured PC and console players!

Armello is a grand swashbuckling adventure combining three styles of play; The deep tactics of card games, the rich strategy of tabletop board games, and the adventure of fantastical RPGs.

As a hero from one of Armello's Great Clans, you'll quest, scheme, hire agents, explore, vanquish monsters, cast spells and face off against other players, with one ultimate goal in mind; becoming King or Queen of Armello! The Kingdom of Armello is as dangerous as it is beautiful. Perils, banes and bandits hide around every corner and a spreading corruption known as the Rot leaves no creature untouched.

Easy to Play but Hard to Master: Armello is easy to pick up and experience, yet its deep and emergent possibilities emerge as you play. Includes acclaimed story-driven tutorial mode.
Fast & Thoughtful: Adventuring in Armello is fast-paced fun filled with deadly, tactical and politically complex decisions.
Multiple Playable Heroes: Each unique Hero possess a special power, stat line, AI personality and can be equipped with an Amulet and Signet Ring to further match your playstyle.
Dynamic Sandbox: Gorgeous dynamic world which procedurally generates a new map each and every game, complete with a dynamic quest system ensuring no two games of Armello are ever the same.
Turn-Based Day & Night Cycle: Use Action Points to journey across Armello's hex-based board and use our fuzzy turn-based system to play cards even when it's not your turn.
True Tabletop Feel: We've spent years cherry-picking the best parts of the tabletop experience, like our physics-based dice.
Animated Cards: Over 150 beautifully animated in-game Cards from artists all over the world.
World Class Soundtrack by Michael Allen and internationally acclaimed artist Lisa Gerrard.

Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/armellogame
Follow us on Twitter: @armellogame

Privacy Policy: http://www.armello.com/privacypolicy/
Terms of Service: http://www.armello.com/termsofservice/

NOTES:

1) Compatible with iPad Mini 4, iPad Air 2, iPad 9.7" and iPad Pro, iPhone 6 and up. Armello WILL NOT be able to run on earlier generations, even if able to be installed.
2) Armello requires asset installation after updates. We recommend you do this from a stable WiFi internet connection to avoid disruptions or cellular network fees.
3) Armello is a graphically rich game with advanced features. To OPTIMISE your playing experience, you may want to turn off other apps before playing.
4) Armello's Monthly ($6.49 AUD), 3 Month ($16.49 AUD), & 12 Month ($38.99 AUD) Subscriptions grant access to all premium content, including all Heroes, all Hero Skins, The Bandit Clan, Seasons Board Skins, all Premium Dice. Subscribers also gain access to exclusive, evolving subscriber Badge and Dice and a 10% discount on Chests! Please note that subscriptions in Armello will be charged on your iTunes account after purchase. Your membership or subscription will renew automatically if you do not cancel at least 24 hours before the renewal date. Your subscriptions can be managed and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your Account Settings after purchase. Should your subscription lapse, purchased content will persist, however all content granted via subscription will be inaccessible until subscription is renewed.

Supported Devices:
  • iPad2Wifi-iPad2Wifi
  • iPad23G-iPad23G
  • iPhone4S-iPhone4S
  • iPadThirdGen-iPadThirdGen
  • iPadThirdGen4G-iPadThirdGen4G
  • iPhone5-iPhone5
  • iPodTouchFifthGen-iPodTouchFifthGen
  • iPadFourthGen-iPadFourthGen
  • iPadFourthGen4G-iPadFourthGen4G
  • iPadMini-iPadMini
  • iPadMini4G-iPadMini4G
  • iPhone5c-iPhone5c
  • iPhone5s-iPhone5s
  • iPadAir-iPadAir
  • iPadAirCellular-iPadAirCellular
  • iPadMiniRetina-iPadMiniRetina
  • iPadMiniRetinaCellular-iPadMiniRetinaCellular
  • iPhone6-iPhone6
  • iPhone6Plus-iPhone6Plus
  • iPadAir2-iPadAir2
  • iPadAir2Cellular-iPadAir2Cellular
  • iPadMini3-iPadMini3
  • iPadMini3Cellular-iPadMini3Cellular
  • iPodTouchSixthGen-iPodTouchSixthGen
  • iPhone6s-iPhone6s
  • iPhone6sPlus-iPhone6sPlus
  • iPadMini4-iPadMini4
  • iPadMini4Cellular-iPadMini4Cellular
  • iPadPro-iPadPro
  • iPadProCellular-iPadProCellular
  • iPadPro97-iPadPro97
  • iPadPro97Cellular-iPadPro97Cellular
  • iPhoneSE-iPhoneSE
  • iPhone7-iPhone7
  • iPhone7Plus-iPhone7Plus
  • iPad611-iPad611
  • iPad612-iPad612
  • iPad71-iPad71
  • iPad72-iPad72
  • iPad73-iPad73
  • iPad74-iPad74
  • iPhone8-iPhone8
  • iPhone8Plus-iPhone8Plus
  • iPhoneX-iPhoneX

Minimum iOS Version: iOS 9.1

Download Size: 197.4MB

10-29-2017, 07:10 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Been super excited about this. It has a very high score on steam and is well regarded. I've never played but iOS is my chance to try it out.

Just downloaded but alas it's crashing on startup on my 6+ iOS 9.3.3

Be warned, it does a massive data download on first launch. Yep....it's one of THOSE games. Hopefully that's just a soft launch thing, or hopefully doesn't need to do it again. Took like 5 minutes or more for me to download the data.

Really wish I could get in to this. I'm sure they'll sort it soon though.

10-29-2017, 06:45 PM
Downloading now, will give some feedback once I start playing.

The point in the description about subscription is worrying. We have to pay monthly subscription to play a single player game? Anyone know what's that about?
10-29-2017, 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanster27 View Post
Downloading now, will give some feedback once I start playing.

The point in the description about subscription is worrying. We have to pay monthly subscription to play a single player game? Anyone know what's that about?
You can play against the AI, but it's meant to be a multiplayer experience like most digital board games. If you don't care about multiplayer or the expansions, the game is ostensibly free. It should be noted that there is no single-player campaign beyond the tutorial prologue.

The long term appeal of the game is in multiplayer matches, and that's where the subscription comes in. That said, I had to do quite a bit of calculation to figure out the advantages, which is bad news for the devs if they want to sell subscriptions. A big part of the problem is that rather than charging real money for the DLC like on other platforms, they've added the ability to grind for it with soft currency, or buy it for premium currency.

For example, The Bandit Clan DLC can be purchased for 9800 soft currency (spoiler alert: that will take a LONG time), or 700 premium. The cheapest you can get 700 premium currency would be 500+80+80+80 or $14 (AUD). Or you can get 1200 for $15 (AUD)

With the subscription, you get immediate access to ALL of the DLC, not just Bandit Clan (skins, dice, etc) and get a discount on chests, all for $7 (AUD)/ month or a really good deal at $30 (AUD) for 12 months. There's a clear advantage there, especially if you do't know how committed you'll be to the game over the long haul. However, you lose the content if you stop paying the subscription, so your mileage may vary.

Personally, I like the fact that customers have options that allow them to be competitive in multiplayer without a whale-oriented pay-to-win scheme. Then again, I don't engage in competitive multiplayer as a rule, so none of this is really targeted at me.
10-29-2017, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the explanation.

If this is the case, I doubt I will be touching the subscription side of things. I only play single player games on mobile (multiplayer games, either turn based or real time are very fiddly and inconvenient for me), so I guess it's just the AI and me then.
10-30-2017, 06:30 AM
I don't like multiplayer either so I downloaded the game to try out the AI gaming. Pretty cool I must say. However I decided not to continue playing because it seems that it just burns way too much battery on ip7. I need to be on a charger. And to top that off, I have a case on my phone and the device gets ridiculously hot. Way more so than the average 3D mobile game.

TOP5: Chaos Rings 3 / Monster Hunter Freedom Unite / Iron Marines / Never Gone / Hero Emblems
My Artwork: http://pixiv.me/raidriar / SAO Memory Defrag NA / Fate Grand Order JPN / Arena of Valor NA: Altria
10-30-2017, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Lawliet View Post
I don't like multiplayer either so I downloaded the game to try out the AI gaming. Pretty cool I must say. However I decided not to continue playing because it seems that it just burns way too much battery on ip7. I need to be on a charger. And to top that off, I have a case on my phone and the device gets ridiculously hot. Way more so than the average 3D mobile game.
I find a similar issue too, very quick battery drain. About 1% per min on my 6S IOS 10.3.3.

Regarding the gameplay, wow is there a lot of mechanics to learn. There's battle, challenges, using cards in your turn, using cards when not your turn, traps, quests... it goes on. And this is only second stage of the tutorial. A quick tab that acts like a glossary or summary of the keywords will be appreciated, but currently lacking.

Last edited by Lanster27; 10-30-2017 at 05:15 PM.
10-30-2017, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanster27 View Post
A quick tab that acts like a glossary or summary of the keywords will be appreciated, but currently lacking.
Did you look on the main menu under More-->Game Guide?
10-31-2017, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucepolicy View Post
Did you look on the main menu under More-->Game Guide?
I think most people would prefer a shortcut to that while in a game.
10-31-2017, 06:10 AM
Crashes

Crashes for me at the language confirm screen. iPad Air iOS 10.3.3. Funny as I beta tested it and it worked fine.

iPad playing: Door Kickers, Warhammer Quest, XCOM EU, Space Hulk, Deathwatch, and Breach & Clear
iPhone playing: Crossy Road, M.U.L.E., Hitman GO, The Paris Dossier, River Raid and Deathwatch