★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Good on-rail shooters like Doom: Resurrection, Rage HD, House of the Dead?

10-30-2017, 09:37 AM
Good on-rail shooters like Doom: Resurrection, Rage HD, House of the Dead?

Hello everyone,

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a decent on-rail shooter for iPhone. In the past I enjoyed Doom: Resurrection or Rage HD on the iPhone, but that was some time ago and 32bit apps are no longer supported in iOS 11.

Unfortunately, I never had Sega's House of the Dead on the iPhone, but I heard it was a blast.

Can somebody recommend a good title for today? I'm totally ok with paying for my apps, but I don't like in-app purchasing.
10-30-2017, 01:48 PM
Probably not as realistic as you may be looking for, but I would suggest taking a look at Mad Bullets and Major Mayhem (this one reminds me a lot of the great Operation Wolf, back in the day).

I also had some fun with Gunfinger for a while, but it's got all the usual F2P shenanigans.

And yeah, The House of the Dead Overkill was super fun! I still have it on my old iPad3. I would love to see it updated for 64 bit and back on the App Store.
10-30-2017, 07:13 PM
I love major mayhem myself. It takes a very long time to get the good equipment even with the coin doubler but it's a fantastic game.

Billy
10-31-2017, 12:12 AM
I feel like tapping a screen to shoot takes all the fun out of an on-rails arcade shooter, no?

I remember how disappointed i was in the Point Blank collection on Nintendo DS. Heck, The Wii remote was a lame substitute for the light gun.

Best port of an on-rails shooter to not use a light gun is Typing of the Dead. That's a port I'm dying for.
10-31-2017, 07:49 AM
I have fond memories of Epoch and Epoch 2. Those were quite on rails AFAIK...
11-06-2017, 04:28 PM
Thanks! I will check them all out.