★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gladihoppers - A 2D Physics Gladiator Game (Devlog)

11-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Gladihoppers - A 2D Physics Gladiator Game (Devlog)

(incredibly work in progress logo)

Gladihoppers is a physics based 2D gladiator game where you rise to glory as a fighter in the arenas of Rome by defeating opponents in gruesome duels, earning denarii, and upgrading your character and equipment in the process.

Gameplay

The character movement and attacks are controlled by directional swipes (left, right, up, down) with your thumbs on both sides of the screen. A combination of the inverted pendulum physics (popularized by Soccer Physics) and 2D animations are used for this.

Planned Features

- 2 game modes: Career mode (singleplayer) and Quick Fight mode (singleplayer and same-screen multiplayer).

- Play as fighters from three different peoples (for now); Romans, Gauls, and Nubians, unlocking more characters by earning denarii in Career mode.

- Lots of unique pieces of equipment of various sorts to buy and unlock: swords, axes, maces, hammers, shields, armours, tunics, helmets, wrist guards, gloves, pants, shin guards, boots and sandals.

- Gain Fame with your gladiator in Career mode by winning duels and completing certain objectives. Fame will determine things such as the arena you fight in, the crowd size and ultimately be the highscore as your character is defeated.

Screenshots

The game is still in very early development and everything is obviously subject to change.

About This Devlog

I plan on keeping this thread up to date with the current state of the game and share the progress. Please feel free to come with critique and suggestions! I realize it's not super detailed right now but I'm still kind of figuring things out as I go, so I'll add more information with each post.

Thanks for reading!
11-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Looks amazing, let me know if you're looking for testers!

Chris Lefebvre | Ads @ TapDaq. Publishing @ DoubleJump. Weirdo @ Petty Vindictive. Judge @ Indie Prize & Big Indie Pitch

11-10-2017, 04:17 AM
Please sign me up if you are open for beta test! ID zoeyliu0@gmail.com =)
11-18-2017, 12:03 PM
Thanks! I'll make sure to let you know whenever I need beta testers if you're still up for it then!

This week I haven't done a whole lot. I wanted to make the game a bit more bloody but things, uh... Things quickly got out of hand... Who needs an E rating anyway, am I right?

11-18-2017, 12:16 PM
Would also like to check it on the real device :-)
11-19-2017, 08:43 PM
Hey it looks cool! Is there a beta test available already?
11-23-2017, 09:47 PM
whoa, ragdolls!
11-25-2017, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAF<3 View Post
Hey it looks cool! Is there a beta test available already?
Not yet unfortunately, it's still early in development so expect a couple of months at least.

So this week I think I've finished working on the damage calculations.

The base multiplier is determined by the body part hit (head and torso hits cause more damage to health where as leg and arm hits cause more damage to stamina [which I haven't implemented yet]). The impact velocity (the two characters' combined movement speeds) also affects the base multiplier, meaning that you'll take more damage if you run into your opponent's weapon as opposed to moving away from it.

An attribute multiplier and an equipment multiplier is then added to the base multiplier. These are simply the attacker's strength and weapon stats weighed against the defender's endurance and armor stats (the armor of the body part hit, that is). In the screenshot above the character being hit has no leg armor so the stat is 0 and his endurance is 0 as well (which is a bug I need to fix because everyone is supposed to start with at least 1 strength, endurance and stamina).

The resulting multiplier is then multiplied with a base damage number before a random damage (between -3 and 3) or a critical attack damage (more likely to happen with a high strength attribute value) is added to give us the final damage of the attack.

It's not a very complex method of calculating the damage of an attack but it was a lot more complicated than I had originally thought. I will probably leave it like this unless it turns out to be unbalanced later on when I've added more equipment. Next thing I'll do is to work on the Career mode because I need to get started on everything surrounding the actual gameplay to make sure things make sense and that there's actually some kind of purpose to playing the game.
01-24-2018, 12:57 PM
Hello again.

I didn't work on the game for most of December and January but I'm back now with a small update on how things are going. I've started writing the CPU opponent script because I'm kind of getting to the point where the game loop is almost closing and I want to play test with a proper enemy. So far I've only managed to get the CPU to block somewhat decently (I don't want to make it OP).

I've also added some smaller things like shields breaking.

Last edited by DS Anders; 01-24-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Typo
01-24-2018, 03:23 PM
Very much reminds me of the king fu in Paris scene from Team America.

Looks good. I shall keep an eye on this. Nice work.