★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: babaroga, llc.
  • Genre: Word
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 3.8 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: If Sudoku and Crosswords had a baby, this would be it!!

- Do decoding puzzles intrigue you?
- Do you find problem solving fun?
- Does completing a Soduku or crossword feel satisfying?
- Do you have a way with words?
- Are you up to a challenge?

This is your kind of application!

Decode the symbols on the crossword grid and bind them to letters on the Ring to make meaningful horizontal and vertical words on the crossword grid.

Using intuitive and smooth touching and scrolling on the Ring, letters and symbols are bound or unbound for ease of puzzle-solving.

Gameplay is designed to satisfy experts as well as novices, and everyone in between, complete with hints and reveals, timing and rank.

This is a don't-miss for everyone looking for a non-mindless game!
11-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the post!

Hi! Thanks for the post! babaroga is the developer of this title as well. We have 2 other out there living in their corresponding threads:

Babaroga Eats Children ( http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...?threadid=4061 )
Horror Trivia Master ( http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...threadid=25091 )

However, this time we came back with an innovative game that really taps into crosswords / sudoku crowd. If you like them, and if you like cryptograms, this really is the game for you. It is no nonsense, casual use-your-brain word game.

Minimal visual design allows the player to concentrate on the puzzle and work on solutions by substituting symbols for letters. Both vertical and horizontal words need to make sense, just like in crosswords. But then strategy has to come to play, clues in terms of double letters ( e.g. double-o, double-s, ... ). It is addictive…I think unbiased as developer

And as always, I do invite all of you to give us feedback. If you like this type of games – let us know what is on your mind.

Babaroga team

Last edited by babaroga; 11-02-2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Added one word - 'visual'

11-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi All,

So I noticed that OpenFeint has 3 times the user base the actually purchased apps shown by iTubes. Well, that much for developer recovering the money on the product. So we knocked down the price, hopefully making it accessible to more people. The price is now .99 cents

Last edited by babaroga; 11-06-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: adding the price
11-09-2009, 01:01 PM

I have a new contest I would like to post.

The highest score in 'Decoder Ring' as captured by OpenFeint in 'Normal' difficulty will win a Babaroga T*shirt. The contest will last until Friday at noon CST.

To see more about the developer, please go to http://babaroga.com

Good luck!

11-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Surprised the word games crowd haven't picked this topic up yet...

゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
11-09-2009, 01:50 PM
I picked this up a few days ago. I've played an online game that was similar and liked it, so figured this one was worth a try.

Seems pretty good. It's exactly what it looks like from the screenshots - you've got a grid of symbols, each symbol represents a letter, you've gotta choose the letters so that you get a grid of words. The easier the difficulty, the more starter letters they give you. On expert there are no starter letters.

The difficulty levels are decent - the easy is actually easy and the expert is actually hard. Something inbetween hard and expert would be nice - I can finish a hard in under 5 minutes and flailed away at an expert for 20 minutes before giving up on it.

Anyway. Worth the buck, for me, and probably for other word puzzle nerds.

A few suggestions for the dev:
- it looks like each level always gives you the same starter letters (S, T, and N for the hard, etc.) would be nice to change it up a bit and start with different letters
- would also be nice if tapping a symbol on the grid would bring up that symbol in the list (though this might require some kind of zoom function since the grid is so teeny)
- tiny nitpicky thing! but the font on the buttons (new game, sound, etc.) looks sloppy
11-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Hi! Thanks for the post. I am glad you are enjoying the game. Thanks for the review. We'll definitely look into incorporating your comments in the next update.

Have you used the reveal button much on expert? Reveal allows you to pick a symbol that you would like to substitute with the correct letter. There is a time penalty associated with it, but it allows you to create a strategy in your approach. It also helps when if and when you get stuck. If you don't mind, please let me know your thoughts about 'reveal' and 'check' - if you find them useful.

Thanks again, randomcyn, it looks like you are very close in reaching the 1st place on Normal. This will win you the very fine and very rare babaroga t*shirt (Black T with the company logo, you can see the logo at http://babaroga.com )
11-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by babaroga View Post
I have a new contest I would like to post.

The highest score in 'Decoder Ring' as captured by OpenFeint in 'Normal' difficulty will win a Babaroga T*shirt. The contest will last until Friday at noon CST.

To see more about the developer, please go to http://babaroga.com

Good luck!

It's Friday afternoon CST -- how can I claim my prize?

I friended you on Feint.
11-20-2009, 04:09 PM
Decoder Ring Featured in Hot New Games

The 'Decoder Ring' is currently featured in Hot New Games!

Thanks everyone, and please let me know if you have any suggestions about what you would like to see changed / added. We are getting ready to unroll another update soon.

Team Babaroga