Nintendo Switch: recommendation for the best game

Discussion in 'Nintendo Switch Games' started by RinoaHeartily, Dec 22, 2017.

1. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Hi guys I got a switch for Xmas!!! Yahoo!!!

I am not a fan of console games to be honest. I just need ONE recommendation of a game that I can play on this.

On ios. I love RPG and strategy games. For premium games
    I love FF7, XCom, Starbase Orion, chaos rings 3 to name a few.

I dislike social games like animal crossing or the likes.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Can’t go wrong with the main Nintendo games, but I’d recommend Zelda BoW, Super Mario Odyssey, and Mario Kart 8. I’ve heard good things about Mario vs Rabbids and a lot of people love Splatoon 2 (not a big fan myself).

Outside of Nintendo’s stuff, I’d give a look to Steamworld Dig 2 — it’s great. And if you haven’t played Skyrim, the Switch port is surprisingly excellent. Since you are an FF fan, you probably should check out I Am Setsuna.

There’s a lot more good stuff out there. Have fun!

3. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    If you're only getting one game, just get Zelda: Breath of the Wild - it's widely seen as the game of the year, and is one of the highest rated video games of all time. Although critics claim Super Mario Odyssey is also a close contender. Get that too! They're both absolutely top-drawer, but Zelda has the edge for me.

The future for the Switch looks very, very bright, but there aren't a huge number of RPGs just yet. If you really want an RPG rather than the open-world adventure of Zelda BotW or the 3D platforming of Mario Odyssey, then your best bets are Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (very beautiful, rather traditional Switch-exclusive JRPG), Skyrim (2011 WRPG, but still punches its weight despite its age) or Mario + Rabbids (a deceptively good strategy RPG, and should be right up your street if you like Xcom).

4. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Thank you so much guys!!!! I almost wanted to get Zelda since it's like THE GAME for ns. Until u mention Mario and rabbids!!! That's the kind of game I love so much!!! I watched YouTube and YES that's the kind of game I see myself playing!

5. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    I have a silly question to ask... When I buy a console game like this do I expect the game to be permanently at the current state or devs have ways to patch them if needed. Like how we expect games on ios to happen so often.

6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    BoW had a day one patch, and has gotten at least one patch since then. There’s also paid DLC.

7. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Yes, Mario + Rabbids has also had a patch since it launched, and it has already had DLC. That said, you can play it from a cartridge on day one without requiring a download - Nintendo is generally pretty good about ensuring that will always be the case.

However, I'll just add that Mario + Rabbids is on a hefty discount in the eshop over Christmas - now is an excellent time to buy. Enjoy your Switch!

8. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Mario Oddyssey, Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles 2

9. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I got excited when I read this but apparently it's not on sale for North America. I've been on the fence so if it goes on sale I'll pick it up.

10. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Zelda I would say. But honestly I play Skyrim more, it just seems perfect for the screen size and the switching between full screen and portable entertainment. Another recommendation (even if it isn't what you are looking for): Embers of Mirrim. I didn't really like the look of it, but it is clever and one of the most taxing puzzle platformers I have ever played, I enjoy it waaaay too much. There's a free demo, at least try that (it should last you an hour or two actually).

11. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Zelda BotW and Super Mario Odyssey are top notch. I've played a few levels from both, while observing even more. There's also a vibrant eShop catalog of games that you can DL.

I'd get one, but I currently have a backlog of iOS, Android, Wii, and PC/Steam games to get through that I'll hold off for the time being.

12. Toops

Toops New Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Zelda and Mario are obvious choices.

13. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Sorry, Rhess! Hadn't realised it was an EU-only discount.

14. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    We actually got the discount latter that day but I had already spent most of my Christmas gift cards. Ended up with Axiom Verge and Oxenfree. Haven't tried Oxenfree yet but Axiom Verge is great. It's basically Metriod with a different story and different weapons/tools.

I'm still tempted to get Mario and Rabbids before the discount ends though.

15. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Same... got a switch for my kids (they're 4 and 2, so it's basically mine. LOL) and we have LoZ, MOdyssey, MKart 3 and Lego Marvel 2. I think it's pretty much what i need for the next couple months. Ahahaha

Waiting for a proper Smash Bros for the switch, so i can get another set of joycons (really hoping for 4 player in single switch capability).

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Oops, forgot to mention we got Odyssey from the Mario Odyssey Bundle.

17. Jean pierre

Jean pierre Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2017
    I bought also,the Switch. I play Rayman and Mario Kart 8 which are both excellent.
    I ordered also Sine Mora EX .
    I will buy only games in cartridge (no digital shit) with no required download.
    I am interrested in Doom but it is not clear yet if is playable (solo campaign) without an extra download (compulsary for online multi players).
    Does someone know if Doom is playable without any first internet connection?

18. OrangutanKungfu

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    DOOM single-player is wholly playable from the cart, with no internet required. As you say, you only need to get online if you want to download and play the multiplayer stuff.

I'm tempted by DOOM too, but I already have a Switch backlog and I refuse to get anything else until I've finished Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and at least one of my eShop games I haven't started yet (Axiom Verge, Spectre Knight, Shantae or Mighty Gunvolt Blast). As for Xenoblade 2, I'll probably still be playing it this summer.

19. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im glad to have the switch cos of the all-premium titles out so far. On the downside, iOS is cranking out some fantastic premiums recently too, so it makes it hard to juggle between switch and iOS gaming, especially when you have another hobby going on.

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Hands down Zelda - Breath Of The Wild.