★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: What is the best rpg

01-01-2009, 04:12 AM
What is the best rpg

Title says it all. I was looking at a few. Wich one last the longest? The best graphics? The best story? The most armor and weapons to use.
01-01-2009, 04:26 AM
Send a message via MSN to D.Sync Send a message via Yahoo to D.Sync
It's kinda hard to determine which game is the 'best' when you use it. Currently I think there are only a few which I can name of. Chronicles of Inotia, Vay and Arvale: Journey of Illusion. So far I had only purchased Arvale and liked it. The dialogue is pretty humor.

01-01-2009, 05:05 AM
Originally Posted by Zander951 View Post
Title says it all. I was looking at a few. Wich one last the longest? The best graphics? The best story? The most armor and weapons to use.
Which last the longest? Arvale has 20+ hours of gameplay. Vay is a port of a 1994 RPG classic and has a similar play time. Chronicles of Inotia has a bit less physical content, but the sheer amount of grinding and item hunting you do adds a great deal of time.

Which has the best graphics? Arvale was built for mobile gaming, so the graphics are smooth and streamlined to the device as expected. Chronicles of Inotia has an excellent graphic style, but has a low framerate which bothers some players. Vay is a straight port with widescreen graphics and touchscreen controls.

Which has the best story? Arvale has tremendous humor and draws you into the world well by giving you numerous dialog options when speaking to NPCs. The plot and quests are the standard fair, but are scripted very well. Chronicles of Inotia has little to no story. When there is story, you can count on several misspellings in the text. Vay has an excellent story, as it is part of the reason it was ported in the first place.

So to sum things up: each game has their own strong suits. You honestly cannot go wrong with any of the three choices, I have them all.
01-01-2009, 05:28 AM
Thanks I'll look into arval
01-01-2009, 11:16 AM
If you're looking for an RPG in the vein of Final Fantasy, Vay is your best bet
01-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Buy Vay! Its cool.
01-01-2009, 11:31 AM
i personally like Inotia. it's 8 bucks but its a pretty good deal for the amount of gameplay. they could have a game like this on the DS and sell it for $30.

When shooting a mime, don't use a silencer or his friends will hear you.
01-01-2009, 11:36 AM
You can't go wrong with Vay. Have loved this game since it's SegaCD days.

Some of it's nostalgia, but it truely is a fantastic game.

Web Designer & Developer since 1999.

Games I highly recommend: CozyQuest, Gemmed, Jabeh, Blue Defense, Blue Attack, geoDefense, Hospital Havoc
01-01-2009, 12:03 PM
i would go with vay, its one of my favorite apps, i diding get arvale instead i bought chronicles of inotia and so far its fun but it takes time to get used to dying when fighting everything at such a low level, with vay u get more for what you pay for, fun gameplay, fairly good story, and very corny acting which is funny
01-01-2009, 12:08 PM
My vote is for Vay first, then Chronicles. Arvale is fun, but I found the size of the print on screen for dialogue and story to be so slow that after playing for a while I would get a headache. If it wasn't for that fact, I would reverse Chronicles and Arvale - I kind of think that the story is important to an RPG, and Arvale's is better then Chronicles.

I think Vay got it best so far, though.