★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Play Harry Dresden and his friends as they take on the cases from the bestselling Dresden Files novels in the ultimate what-if scenariowhat if Harry was on the scene with allies who werent there in the original story? The core game includes Harry, Murphy, Susan, Michael, and the Alphas and plays through the first five novels as well as Side Jobs, a random scenario generator based on the short story collection of the same name. Designs are already well underway for expansions featuring more series characters and more novels.

Game Information

Number of players: 1-5
Length: 30 minutes
Type of Game: Cooperative

This is the officially licensed version of the tabletop game by Evil Hat.

The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game, the Fate logo, and related images are trademarks of Evil Hat and are 2016 Evil Hat Productions, LLC. Based upon the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. All rights reserved.
01-07-2018, 03:34 AM
Nice! that’s an unexpected surprise.

Edit: just went to revisit Stately Play desktop review. Looks interesting but not robust MP (friend invite only). I think I’ll wait for some impressions after my previous card game excursion...

Last edited by skoptic; 01-07-2018 at 04:24 AM.

01-07-2018, 07:19 AM
The Steam release was accompanied by 4 DLC options (extra player decks and the like, not consumables).
Can someone tell if there is IAP in this release and what's included in the main game?
01-07-2018, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratAll View Post
The Steam release was accompanied by 4 DLC options (extra player decks and the like, not consumables).
Can someone tell if there is IAP in this release and what's included in the main game?
Well on the game page it says offers in game purchases, so i assume it must have the rest as dlc.
Wow it's 8, but i reeeeally want this, and it ends up less espensive than the bg. Will do it later on and try to post some thought after i do.
01-07-2018, 01:57 PM
So I took the plunge. It has 4 IAP, 3 of then roughly 4,50 euros and one 3,50.
The three expensive ones have 2 books and 2 characters each. The lesset one has Mouse/mister and some card variants.
This is an expensive game, but I find it less obscenely so that 8minute empire (at least in the beginning).
The only thing I dislike about the base game is that you only have 3 characters, which does not give you any choices.
The tutorial and the game are well implemented though.
In the base game you get 5 books, 3characters and 2 game other game modes called random book and side jobs.
01-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaniar View Post
So I took the plunge. It has 4 IAP, 3 of then roughly 4,50 euros and one 3,50.
The three expensive ones have 2 books and 2 characters each. The lesset one has Mouse/mister and some card variants.
This is an expensive game, but I find it less obscenely so that 8minute empire (at least in the beginning).
The only thing I dislike about the base game is that you only have 3 characters, which does not give you any choices.
The tutorial and the game are well implemented though.
In the base game you get 5 books, 3characters and 2 game other game modes called random book and side jobs.
Thanks for the info.
For comparison, the Steam release has 5 characters and 5 books.
As you said, it is a bit expensive to get the full package, but I prefer this type of IAP over consumables.
5 books will give you a good idea of the gameplay (which is tactical and hard but fun and unique) and if you want more you can pick up the DLC that interest you the most.
01-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Would someone mind explaining what you actually do in the game? Not familiar with the story or characters but I'm always up for a new mobile card game
01-07-2018, 04:22 PM
In short, you control 1 or more characters with a deck of ability cards that interact with cases and enemy cards place in front of you. These cases and enemies come from a fixed deck called a book. Only there placement on the grid is different. You need to solve the cases and/or kill the enemies. Between these cards there are some obstruction cards you need to clear (they have a passive penalty when you don't like e.g. make enemies harder) and opportunity cards that give benefits (like e.g. give extra cards).

You don't cycle through your deck but only get to play the cards you have once and you need to balance fate points by sacrificing some of your lesser cards to gain fate so you can spend it on using your other cards.
Each character also has a passive and a stunt which is a once per game special move.

In the end, when your hand is played there is a final showdown that lets you spend final fate on a last attempt to solve a case or defeat an enemy.

In short : it is a sort of story based patience in which you need to plan out the order to play your hands to strategically remove cards on the grid to obtain the victory condition. Hope this helps, there should be some videos from the Steam version online to show gameplay.
01-07-2018, 04:53 PM
Thank you, that helps a lot. I'll probably give it a try if people seem to think it's worth the $7.
01-07-2018, 05:22 PM
I'm a kickstarter backer of the actual card game and that's really fun. I haven't tried this yet but once I do I'll come back and report on it. I love the books and characters