★ TouchArcade is in READ ONLY mode this weekend while we upgrade. Please support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Kenny Sun
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 106.6 MB
  • Version: 1.0.2
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: A Hollow Doorway is a meditation on the meaningless. A love letter to nothingness and an introspective look at the heart of purposeless infinity. Desperately swipe and spin your doorway in a futile attempt to match the rotation of rapidly approaching concentric walls as sweat pours from your armpits and your soul pours into your trembling thumb. It's fun!

- Pretty cool gameplay (it's all right)
- 9 levels with an infinite array of difficulty modes
- No filler: a veritable infinity of meticulously handcrafted doorways
- 10 brand new tracks from JACK+JIM (they're good)
- Loot boxes (I'm sorry)
- Put a face on your doorway!
- An in-app purchase to remove loot boxes from the game (I'm sorry)
- Game Center support: 34 achievements & 5 leaderboards
- iCloud support
- Taptic feedback (iPhone 7 and newer)
- iPhone X support
01-31-2018, 10:49 PM
Damn, the F2P/lootbox/ads systems in this game are atrocious (Kenny was right to apologize for their implementation in the App Store's description). Bought the two $0.99 IAP's as soon as possible to disable those features. I usually avoid F2P games, is this what every other F2P game is like nowadays?

Art style is top notch. People who've played Kenny Sun's Yankai's Triangle/Yankai's Peak know what type of psychedelic visual to expect. Gameplay is completely different from those two prior release though. Rather than being a puzzler this is more of a endless/mindless/rhythm/twitch/meditation game. Reminds me a lot of a less complicated version of Super Hexagon (in a good way).

Hate the barrage of leveling up systems and customizable options. Doesn't work well with this genre of games in my opinion. Really takes you out of the moment after "zoning out" in a level. Also could care less about customizing the look of my "Doorway", especially since it looks like the changes are only cosmetic (I may be wrong with this assumption). Still... I respect that Kenny and his team had to figure out a way to monetize the game.... guess I just wish it was a lot less cluttered between levels.

I do like the basic concept/gameplay quite a bit. Going to try to stick with A Hollow Doorway for a little bit and see if it grows on me. I could see myself playing a few levels while commuting around during the day... at least until the next great time waster app comes out...

Last edited by D Wo; 01-31-2018 at 11:02 PM.
02-02-2018, 02:52 AM
I love it! There’s something strangely poetic/beautiful/alluring about each of Kenny Sun’s games, and this is no different. Yes, it’s a freemium game but there is, as per usual for this dev, a great amount of love that is obvious. Each level has it’s own soundtrack, and strangely, I’m starting to love the fact that a level’s soundtrack cuts off suddenly when the level finishes, always *just* before you think it’s about to hit some really special moment.

Simple, pretty, strange and addictive - can’t ask for more!
02-02-2018, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatEscaper View Post
I love it! Theres something strangely poetic/beautiful/alluring about each of Kenny Suns games, and this is no different. Yes, its a freemium game but there is, as per usual for this dev, a great amount of love that is obvious. Each level has its own soundtrack, and strangely, Im starting to love the fact that a levels soundtrack cuts off suddenly when the level finishes, always *just* before you think its about to hit some really special moment.

Simple, pretty, strange and addictive - cant ask for more!
Well put! You should cut and paste this into an App Store review.
02-19-2018, 08:56 PM
I have high hopes for this, even though it is in a free to play model.