★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Completely free. No ads. No in-app purchases.

Arctopia is a classic turn-based puzzle game.

Solve 147 levels across 14 chapters of varying difficulty.

In each level of Arctopia, your goal is to strategically use blocks of ice to extinguish all of the sinister eyebrowed flames that menace the level. Unfortunately, this is rarely straightforward, as fires may be inconveniently placed, blocked by burning oil barrels, or defended by blockades of ice.

You can create and destroy ice, but only below your current position, so thinking ahead is mandatory. . . and there are many traps for the unwary!

(Note that if you find early levels too easy (or you find a particular level too frustrating!), you can always skip to a different level and come back later.)

The number of moves taken for your best solution is saved for each level, so you can strive for maximum efficiency if you so desire.

The intro levels are (skippable) tutorial stages, so don't worry about learning the basics of the game.

Good luck!

Summary:
- Completely free. No ads. No in-app purchases.
- Designed for both iPad & iPhone.
- Arctopia is a turn-based strategic puzzle game
- 147 levels, across 14 chapters.
- No time limits or requirements for fast reflexes.
- Skippable tutorial section to introduce the game mechanics.
- High scores and progress are saved automatically after every level.
- Levels can be completed in any order.

ImNoSuperMan's comments:
Lite Version: Arctopia: A Puzzle Intro (Chapters 1-4)
--------------

11-04-2009, 02:52 PM
This is a fantastic puzzle game. The only vaguely similar game that I have played is Zep's Dreamland. My only quibble is the lack of sound effects. Highly recommended to puzzle fans.

11-17-2009, 11:09 PM
It is pretty good. The graphics are simple and clear. It looks like something out of gameboy SP. The controls are alright, the buttons are large. The tutorial stages properly shows and explains the basics of this game.

The objective is to put out the fire sprites using ice blocks - either by pushing existing ones towards the fires, collapsing ice stuctures on top of fires, or creating ice blocks in the right position so you can push them and put the fire out.

The menu system for selecting levels is clear. It's a pity that it's a thoroughly silent game. You can listen to your own tracks but it would've been nice to have some sound effects. And the icon doesn't reflect anything about the game.
11-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Thanks for bumping this with a review. I'll put this game on my watch list

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG
11-18-2009, 01:13 AM

Youtube link | Pop Up

Best I could find. :/
11-18-2009, 09:24 AM
The video gives a pretty good overview of the basic gameplay in the early levels; it's just the young reviewer does seem to move the device about too much.

BTW, all levels are unlocked from the start.
11-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Web site for Arctopia

Here's the web site:

http://arctopia.robotocracy.com/Arctopia.html

It doesn't have much information on it, but it's slightly better than the iTunes page.
11-20-2009, 08:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykr View Post
Here's the web site:

http://arctopia.robotocracy.com/Arctopia.html

It doesn't have much information on it, but it's slightly better than the iTunes page.
Yes it does have more useful information about the game.

I like this game more and more as I'm progressing. Challenging after mid chapter 3 or so.
05-19-2010, 07:16 PM
The game is $.99 and the Version 1.4 is out:
What's New

Added ten new levels--130 total now!

Added native high-resolution iPad support.

Added world record high scores for you to try to beat.

Added the ability to save your best solutions by emailing them to yourself.
05-19-2010, 08:18 PM
iPad version looks great!! At the current price this should be a no-brain purchase.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer