★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Asphalt 5 - low framerate on all Idevices ?

11-03-2009, 04:26 AM
Asphalt 5 - low framerate on all Idevices ?

Hey all,

I've given up playing on the game and went back to NFS.
'Driving' at 15fps-20fps on the faststest Idevice just doesn't cut it for me...
Yes, the graphics look nice, but i would have gotten rid of a few effects for smooth framerate.

The screenshots also have some sort of anisotropic filtering on them, but the game does not (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisotropic_filtering). The road is a big lump of pixels midscreen...not so nice...
Also, unlike NFS, there is some visible clipping on far away building...

Others state they have super smooth graphics on their 3GS, and then later admit that framerate could be improved.. Seriously, what is that about ?

edit: changed "laggy" to "low framerate" in title to be more clear.

Last edited by Ezak; 11-03-2009 at 05:43 AM.
11-03-2009, 04:40 AM
no lag here framerate seems to be fine but not as good as real racing, 3GS, FW 3.0, but you are correct about the GFX ferrari gt lookst much better. And the filter in the pictures is misleading I thought the 3GS could handle that kind of filters, it all seems very low res with some blur effect trying to make it look better

11-03-2009, 05:00 AM
No lag on my 3rd generaton but i admit it needs a framerate update.
11-03-2009, 05:10 AM
Why most gameloft games whinners usually only have a post or two to their credit before making a thread? As it is game runs like butter in my iPhone 3g, multiplayer is good too!
11-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmusic View Post
Why most gameloft games whinners usually only have a post or two to their credit before making a thread? As it is game runs like butter in my iPhone 3g, multiplayer is good too!
Yeah, my post is totally useless because i only have "a post or two" to my credit...

I actually enjoy gameloft titles a lot, but no, the framerate is not butter smooth on a 3GS, so i doubt it is on a 3G. Smooth framerate means 24+fps. The game is at 15+, 20at best when facing a wall...
Lower framerate also means less responsive controls...
Weird thing is that the car displayed in the menu is at the same framerate as in a running race, as if the fps were capped.

Don't get me wrong, the game is ok, but it would be perfect if it were smooth, i wouldn't even care about the "photoshoped" screenshots.
Right now i'm just dissapointed and consider NFSU a more enjoyable arcade racing game =)

edit: grammar police

Last edited by Ezak; 11-03-2009 at 06:04 AM.
11-03-2009, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezak View Post
Yeah, my post is totally useless because i only have "a post or two" to my credit...

I actually enjoy gameloft titles a lot, but no, the framerate is not butter smooth on a 3GS, so i doubt it is on a 3G. Smooth framerate means 24+fps. The game is at 15+, 20at best when facing a wall...
Lower framerate also means less responsive controls...
Weird thing is that the car displayed in the menu is at the same framerate as in a running race, as if the fps were capped.

Don't get me wrong, the game is ok, but it would be perfect if it were smooth, i wouldn't even care about the "photoshoped" screenshots.
Right now i'm just dissapointed and consider NFSU a more enjoyable arcade racing game =)

edit: grammar police
Just because the framerate sucks for you doesn't mean it sucks for everyone. Running fine on my 3rd Gen Touch
11-03-2009, 06:24 AM
For the most part, frame rate on my 3rd gen touch is great, every. Now and then it gets a little choppy, but it doesn't happen frequent enough for me to really care. I really wish developers weren't allowed to docter their "screenshots" before posting them, as another poster mentioned, it is very misleading.
11-03-2009, 09:49 AM
IMO, this is the most enjoyable racer of the idevice! NFS has great graphics but felt like 'on the rails' plus this one got leaderboards and online in NFS when your done your done.
11-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Send a message via AIM to Caltsar
The framerate wasn't too bad for me on my 3GS, but when I restarted the device after playing a game immediately after installing it, the framerate seemed to become better and has stayed there ever since.
11-03-2009, 09:57 AM
On my 3rd gen touch, I would say at least 30 FPS, the framerate's better than Eliminate online! The road is somewhat pixelated, but fine. And the graphics I get in-game are similar to the screenshots. The first one's a bit fake, but I haven't gotten that car yet, so it might be extremely smooth (but I doubt it). The graphics are on the level of the second screenshot, that's how good they are.