★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Games on the store will never be taken seroiusly unless...

01-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Games on the store will never be taken seroiusly unless...

The games have higher quality sounds.

Two days ago i read an article, one of many that have the title "iPhone vs PSP" both have their own unique factor's but something which they both share is sound!!!

Today i made three purchases, snail mail, warfare incorparated and god of war chains of olympus. all three amazing but if i'm honest the sound in snail mail is shockingly bad! fine warfare is port (the gameplay rules btw) and the dev has promised better sound but i mean all games on the store seem to have bad sound, sim city, rolando, hero of sparta, ferrari gt. You name it! in fact the only game i can think of on the app store with decent sound is super monkey ball! in fact i would say thats the only "complete" iPhone game.

*note* i'm not talking about gameplay or graphics here, i love must of games i've bought
01-01-2009, 02:22 PM
I can see your point. I'm not sure how serious of a problem that is, but I think odes make a difference.

Good sound files can be very large. CroMag is a large file because the sound is pretty well done. With lower quality sound, it'd be much smaller. That's the reason I think most games have poor sound.

01-01-2009, 02:26 PM
I have ablsolutely no complaint with the games you mentioned (Snail Mail, HoS..) do you listen with headphones or the speaker?

Check out Randomness is green
some youtube comment:
Quote:
She's smart...
in a parallel universe, 100 billion years ago
01-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
I don't listen to the sounds/music anyway. So it doesn't matter to me. I don't think that it will stop devs if they find the platform appealing to develop for...
01-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Sound from the speakers or with headphones or both?

Gamecenter: dub.D.dub
01-01-2009, 02:40 PM
dude you're crazy! Rolando has great sound and the majority of good games do. Sound is an added bonus in any situation, and I'm sure the majority of people play all the games silent anyways.

dirty deeds and their dunderchee
01-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Apple makes it very difficult to put good sound in a game. The code they provide to implement sounds is VERY unstable and has memory leaks.

It only supports playing uncompressed .Wavs for sound effects which are LARGE (a 10 second clip is 1.1 megs) It supports background music in .MP3 but this eats up CPU power.

Loading a bunch of sounds all into memory at the same time is not an option because you're limited to maybe 30megs of ram before you have to worry if there will not be enough and your App crashes.

This is one of the reasons why Apps usually are more stable once you Reboot. Apple makes sure that all of the First party Apps have all the RAM they need and do not free it up for third party Apps to run.

You need to write a lot of your own code and deal with audio packets etc.. to get something better than what is provided. Not all devs have the resources or time to write a custom Audio Class that is stable and supports compressed files to keep the size down.

So you may have a App that's rock solid and never crashes but you add audio and you get an unstable buggy feeling App. That's why some people just end up leaving sound out all together or use low quality low sample effects to save space in RAM.

Das Boot had a few issues with this in it's initial release (we use a lot of sound)

But after a low of work we have rectified this issue for version 1.1.

It's Interesting that with a device that was made to play music & sounds does such a bad job of letting you program sounds for it.

Support Your Local Developers! Purchase Apps!
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...300161812&mt=8

Last edited by SudoWorks LLC; 01-01-2009 at 02:47 PM.
01-01-2009, 02:44 PM
I think Sim City's Sound production is flawless....???
What an odd statement my friend...

Gamecenter:1337brian
01-01-2009, 02:47 PM
I tried to put good sound and music into Blue Skies. It's a lot better if you use headphones for stereo because the iPhone only has one speaker.

I didn't have any troubles with slowdowns when using streaming compressed music.

Apps: Mech Pilot, Zombies HD, Zombies The Last Stand, iFishing (and all spinoffs), Puppet Jump, Pocket Farm, Dark Raider, Blue Skies, and more! (www.RockingPocketGames.com)
01-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Send a message via MSN to aghartastudio
we had a flawless sound implementation of sound (5 original musics tracks and hundreds of sfx) in 1112 ep 01, but it was barely mentioned in reviews (Except the one from pocketgamer)

Alexandre leboucher - Agharta studio
Designer of 1112
Check out my twitter for latest updates!