★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: "Ive never had so much fun with a castle defense game before." iPhone Footprint

"Bar Defender replaces the traditional medieval based theme of most castle defense style games with a zainy compilation of sounds, graphics, and Simpsons like cartoon characters. (...) If youre a fan of castle defense style games and are open to trying one with a new twist, we recommend you check out Bar Defender." SlapApp

"I like the setting of this castle defense game, the humour and the strangely artsy graphics." TouchGen

"The game's creative concept and comic touches will appeal to players looking for a change from traditional TD games." App-reciation

"Can there be anything nobler than a half-sozzled barfly defending his pub against 'The Man'?" Pocket Gamer

Bad news a huge multinational corporation wants to build a business complex on the site of your favorite bar, and you are the only one standing between the bulldozers and the booze. Still, the situation is not utterly hopeless not before you run out of bottles! Wave after wave, you will repel the enemy with your barrage of beverages. Sooner or later they will learn not to underestimate the powers of a (not so) peaceful civil resistance!

Features:

Classic castle defense game brought into a new level of fun

5 types of drinks, each with different stats such as weight, damage and special effects

Realistic flying trajectories for each type of beverage, making it possible to make hits on enemies behind cover, riot shields, etc.

5 types of enemies, from construction workers to teargas-wielding riot squads

5 end-level bosses, from a heavy-duty bulldozer to a military APC

Plans for future versions:

Endurance mode
Online High Scores
New weapons

Tips and tricks:
http://extropiagames.com/bardefender/
11-03-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.

Last edited by Prab; 11-03-2009 at 10:29 AM. Reason: hd

11-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Too bad the video only shows the bulldozer, I would have loved to see the other 4 bosses, especially the APC

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG
11-03-2009, 10:55 AM
this does look to have the potential of being a fun game...hope the devs discover TA and this thread

Quote:
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
11-05-2009, 10:30 AM
did anyone try this?

...also, sent email to the devs, so hopefully they will join us here on TA

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Devilishly Good; 11-05-2009 at 10:41 AM.
11-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks to Devilishly Good for the kind invitation and to all for your interest in our first game for the iPhone, Bar Defender.

I'm with Extropia Games and we've already planned to release gameplay videos on a bi-weekly basis, so eventually, you'll be able to see all the bosses – with time.

It will also interest you to know that we've just finished a lite version of the app, so when Apple finishes reviewing it (approx. two weeks), you can play the first two levels for free.

We all hope Bar Defender will be to your liking, and shall keep an eye on this thread to read your comments – they're all highly welcome.

Cheers!
11-05-2009, 01:52 PM
hi and welcome to TA

definitely looking forward to the future videos and lite version as well

Quote:
Quote:
11-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Ok, I have been playing this and faced down the first boss and now I'm on to the second...a police car. Devs...I could use some tips to defeat this boss.

If you like tongue in cheek humor and castle defense games, you should seriously check this game out.

You play a lone defender of bar which is slated for destruction by a "large multinational corporation". The only weapons you have are the supplies of alchoholic beverages around you. As you kill the invaders, you earn cash which you can then use to upgrade your weapons, purchase different liquors, area of effect attacks, or increase your morale.

Your morale is your life...run out of morale and it's game over. If you are defeated in a level you can try again. There are 3 save slots so if you need to share your device, then you are set.

Gameplay is really easy. You fling bottles of beer at enemies coming on screen from the right. To throw, simply drag away from the barfly and a red arrow is shown. The more to the right you drag, the harder your throw. Move your finger up and down to alter the trajectory, release and the bottle is thrown. Your rate of throwing is limited by barfly's drunkeness so you'll want to aim and not just spam shots.

Pros:
-love the humor and art style - from the intro movie, to the menus, and the actual gameplay screen, the art style is charming and distinctive
-easy launching of projectiles - the arrow drawing mechanism works really well
-store for upgrades

Cons:
-there is a "Tap screen to continue" button on the upper right of the screen shown just before a level begins - it can take multiple taps to hit for it to register

Here's a couple of screenshots so you can check out the art style for yourself:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bartender1.PNG
Views:	2
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	10302
Click image for larger version

Name:	bardefender2.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	10301

Overall, definitely a fun take on the castle defense genre, and I am definitely enjoying it.

Quote:
Quote:
11-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Wow! Thanks for the positive and elaborate feedback.

We'll definitely put a progress bar on those screens to give feedback on successful tapping.

Once again, I speak for all Extropia when I say we really appreciate this rewarding reception of our game.
11-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queue [q:] View Post
Wow! Thanks for the positive and elaborate feedback.

We'll definitely put a progress bar on those screens to give feedback on successful tapping.

Once again, I speak for all Extropia when I say we really appreciate this rewarding reception of our game.
I am really enjoying the game, but it is tough, I'm now on level 4 and facing waves of riot police...I've upgraded my basic beer bottles and I've tried buying the liquor ammo. However, the liquor does not seem that potent as a weapon...I was expecting it to be fairly powerful since it costs $4/throw to toss.

My only other issue, is that is almost impossible to hit an enemy once they are right at the building...once they get too close it is game over so you need to try and take them out as quickly as possible.

Finally defeated the police car boss on level 3 and I had to LOL at the giant donut in their trunk.

Quote:
Quote: