Any platformers on iOS as good as Crash Bandicoot?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Brightsiderus, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    Well... it bothers me for years, but I haven’t seen any game on iOS as fun as My childhood (and now too) favorite Crash Bandicoot. Do you know any game that plays as CB?

2. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Crash bandicoot was legendary. I have come across two vaguely crash bandicoot-y. Can't remember names, one was just a game running away like some of the CB levels. And the other is just a fairly playable platformer.
    I should know the second.

3. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    If either still exist on the app store:
    1)Boulder Jack
    2) Cartoon Survivor

Worth a check out if a fan of Crash Bandicoot but not like it:
    Faily series (accessibility, bold cartoon style)
    MrCrab2 (platforming)
    Wind up Knight (platforming)

There is one game I have forgotten and is worth a download.

4. thumbs07

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Nono Islands (platformer)

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
  6. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    I've played a few levels of some of the Crash Bandicoots on one the various PS consoles, but never from start to finish. Fun stuff, but to me they're similar enough that I'd recommend Super Mario Run. Played and finished on Android, but I hear the iOS version is the same difference.

Requires an online connection to play, but at $10 and goes by the premium model, worth every penny. Bummed that all the reviews and complaints will probably get Nintendo to go freemium from now on :(

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    The always online feature of Mario on iOS was annoying. But I was more disappointed it was a runner and no a platformer

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It's stll a decent runner-platformer though. It is one of the most "platformer" than any other runner on the appstore.

9. ackmondual

ackmondual Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    U.S.A., earth
    Curious... you were aware of this BEFORE playing the game right? At the very least, before you purchased it? Because I thought the title did a good job of implying that.

Getting past that, I'd go with the standard "it's a feature, not a bug" for the following reasons...
    1) It would've been too much to shoehorn a full Mario title into a phone with a just touch interface (and don't say you can always buy controller peripherals. Dollars to donuts, most people wouldn't bother. With their own consoles and handhelds, these are mostly built-in/included).
    2) Having a runner IS still a platformer, and given it has Ninteno's touch, a unique one at that.
    3) They didn't want to cannibalize sales of their own consoles and handhelds (one of the main reasons they're not quitting the hardware business and putting all of their games on iOS).

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I knew it was a runner when I downloaded it but when they first mentioned a Mario game on iOS I was hoping it would be a traditional one. Granted still better than nothing but I’ll stick with my Mario games on the GB and GBA emulators instead.

And yeah I agree with point 3. Nintendo I suppose were never going to release a special iOS exclusive platformer as their customer fan base who buy Nintendo products wouldn’t be happy.

Be great if months later they released an update to get rid of the online connection though.