★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Armello (by League of Geeks)

03-14-2018, 11:26 PM
Armello (by League of Geeks)

Last edited by Gumshoe; 03-14-2018 at 11:34 PM. Reason: No idea why itís not showing up...
03-15-2018, 02:08 AM
Not sure why but the game runs terribly on my iPhone 6. Took minutes upon launch to get into the tutorial, and once I started a single player game it wouldnít load away from the King. Hopped back into the tutorial and could barely move a few spaces. Decided to exit the app for the night.

I did some browsing of the game. Iíve been a fan of Armello since launch on the PC many years ago. At the time I was waiting for the iOS release and decided to bite the bullet for PC and then double dip on mobile. Of course, that took a lot longer than expected, and now here we are years later with the game (sorta) on my iPhone, tiny screen and all.

I have about 90 hours sunk into PC and Iím not sure how to feel about the F2P mechanic of this version. I dislike F2P a lot, it drove me away from Hearthstone after years of casual dabbling. I much prefer a base price with DLC then this subscriptionóespecially since I already own everything on Steam. I guess itís just a workaround to hook this crowd.

I do like, in a sense, that I already know my favorite hero, and thus I can just spend $5 to grab him and call it a day. I know where my enjoyment lies in this game. For some reason it just feels weird to see a fully-priced game go F2P with the tacky ďgemsĒ, chests, and questing system.

I hope it works out though. Armello is a good game with a lot of potential to grow.

03-15-2018, 04:54 AM
Well you're doing better than me. iPhone 6+ iOS 9.3.3. It just crashes on startup for me. It even caused a reboot of my phone. I had early access and it's been like this since then. They actually raised the iOS requirement in a previous update to like iOS 10 and phone requirement to iPhone 6s or 7. I actually think it's a mistake they've allowed it for iPhone 6 and iOS 9 this update.
03-15-2018, 05:05 AM
Subscription based? Can't you just buy the game and all premium content outright on Steam?

Social Games: Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
03-15-2018, 05:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
Subscription based? Can't you just buy the game and all premium content outright on Steam?
We like to do things differently here on iOS.

**prods with a stick** - You're not from round 'ere are you.
03-15-2018, 06:49 AM
While I don't do subscriptions, it does look like you can play the game without one and just purchase the DLC you want. Am I correct?
03-15-2018, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbs View Post
We like to do things differently here on iOS.

**prods with a stick** - You're not from round 'ere are you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBSNellie View Post
While I don't do subscriptions, it does look like you can play the game without one and just purchase the DLC you want. Am I correct?
last week I asked the developers about the subscriptions and they said that you can unlock the contents permanently with coins and crystals or other IAPs so you don't have to subscribe and don't worry about it

the premium gamers and the freemium gamers in the mobile game world despise one another. did you notice they never sit in sight of each other? the fools. what good comes of childish rivalries? we are all gamers here
03-15-2018, 08:25 AM
Quote:

I guess this is how you make money on the App Store nowadays? Premium apps must not be worth it anymore. I own the full game on PS4 so I doubt Iíll be subscribing anytime soon. Itís not a bad game. Looks a bit rough on the 6s though.
03-15-2018, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almyn View Post
I guess this is how you make money on the App Store nowadays? Premium apps must not be worth it anymore. I own the full game on PS4 so I doubt Iíll be subscribing anytime soon. Itís not a bad game. Looks a bit rough on the 6s though.
well not everyone is gonna buy the subscriptions and I have to disagree because premium games are worth, I also have Armello on PS4 and it would be painful for me to wait for three years for the port

the premium gamers and the freemium gamers in the mobile game world despise one another. did you notice they never sit in sight of each other? the fools. what good comes of childish rivalries? we are all gamers here
03-15-2018, 10:19 AM
I'm in the beta and I'm pretty much not going to touch it. Everything is so low res even on my 12.9" iPad Pro. The hardware can handle it, it's too bad they're not going that route.