★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Developer renaming advice please

03-18-2018, 09:53 AM
Developer renaming advice please

I have been operating as an indie for years under the name "Moonjump", but since starting I have companies in related fields with the same name. There were also 2 games with pretty much the same name on the iOS App Store. Plus it keeps getting written wrongly, typically "MoonJump" or "Moon Jump". So there are a few issues with my current name. Downloads of my previous games had drooped to pretty much zero, so this is perhaps the ideal time to rebrand. But I am finding it difficult avoiding similar issues to the old name.

"Vertex Vortex" was a possible new name, and the .com was free, but both words are trade marked around the world.

Any suggestions for strategies to find the right company name?

I am considering just going with my name. Some advise against it as it appears unprofessional, but it works OK for many music creators. On the plus side, any coverage I got would not be diluted by only having my name or company name. Do you think using my own name (Andy Cowe) is a good idea?
03-19-2018, 09:56 AM
If you're creating good games, I love when people brand things with their name if the games are good. This dude is a really good example of it:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/philipp-stollenmayer/id580506869?mt=8

Otherwise, I don't think the name makes that big of a difference for iOS games. It's more a combination of a logo / name / overall branding that make the studio memorable in my opinion. : )

Cheers,

Dave

Rawr! For A Reason - Our first game "Undie Rush" is coming soon - 50% of profits from our free games goes to charity
03-19-2018, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMApplegate View Post
If you're creating good games, I love when people brand things with their name if the games are good. This dude is a really good example of it:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/philipp-stollenmayer/id580506869?mt=8

Otherwise, I don't think the name makes that big of a difference for iOS games. It's more a combination of a logo / name / overall branding that make the studio memorable in my opinion. : )

Cheers,

Dave
I have worked long and hard on my upcoming game. I am very happy to put my name to it. The only worry is perception. Maybe some will judge a personal name as amateur?
03-20-2018, 09:49 AM
For me, it's the game that makes the game look amatuerish. A company name won't make it feel more or less professional in my opinion.

Cheers,

Dave

Rawr! For A Reason - Our first game "Undie Rush" is coming soon - 50% of profits from our free games goes to charity