Developer renaming advice please

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Moonjump, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I have been operating as an indie for years under the name "Moonjump", but since starting I have companies in related fields with the same name. There were also 2 games with pretty much the same name on the iOS App Store. Plus it keeps getting written wrongly, typically "MoonJump" or "Moon Jump". So there are a few issues with my current name. Downloads of my previous games had drooped to pretty much zero, so this is perhaps the ideal time to rebrand. But I am finding it difficult avoiding similar issues to the old name.

"Vertex Vortex" was a possible new name, and the .com was free, but both words are trade marked around the world.

Any suggestions for strategies to find the right company name?

I am considering just going with my name. Some advise against it as it appears unprofessional, but it works OK for many music creators. On the plus side, any coverage I got would not be diluted by only having my name or company name. Do you think using my own name (Andy Cowe) is a good idea?

2. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate Well-Known Member

If you're creating good games, I love when people brand things with their name if the games are good. This dude is a really good example of it:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/philipp-stollenmayer/id580506869?mt=8

Otherwise, I don't think the name makes that big of a difference for iOS games. It's more a combination of a logo / name / overall branding that make the studio memorable in my opinion. : )

Cheers,

Dave

Moonjump likes this.
  3. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I have worked long and hard on my upcoming game. I am very happy to put my name to it. The only worry is perception. Maybe some will judge a personal name as amateur?

4. DaveMApplegate

DaveMApplegate Well-Known Member

For me, it's the game that makes the game look amatuerish. A company name won't make it feel more or less professional in my opinion.

Cheers,

Dave

Moonjump likes this.
  5. Brianna Taeuber

Jul 24, 2018
    Female
    There are plenty of indie game companies out there with very strange names. So long as you are producing great content, most people probably won't question the company name.

Moonjump likes this.