★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gameloft Financial Results

11-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Gameloft Financial Results

Gameloft made $44.2M last quarter, most of it on the app store:

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/11/...e-middle-east/

So I'm coming to the following conclusion: in spite of allegedly massive piracy and all the other whining about problems with the app store, those who make good games are still able to make buckets of money.

Edit: by "good" I mean "likely to appeal to average-Joe-gamers with iPhones" or something like that...

David - Hackdirt
Smashed is out: iTunes (promo site)

Last edited by hackdirt; 11-03-2009 at 04:42 PM.
11-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackdirt View Post

those who make good games are still able to make buckets of money.
And Gameloft can as well!

Kidding, Asphalt 5 is good.

11-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Gameloft made $44.2M last quarter, most of it on the app store:

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/11/...e-middle-east/

So I'm coming to the following conclusion: in spite of allegedly massive piracy and all the other whining about problems with the app store, those who make good games are still able to make buckets of money.
Well yeah, when you push out shoddy products to a demographic starved of actual quality games, and do it while shamelessly using the assets and brand recognition of other IP's, you can make a heap of cash...wow!

My friend said to me, "I think the weather's trippy." I said, "No, man, it's not the weather that's trippy, perhaps it is the way that we perceive it that is indeed trippy." Then I thought, "Man, I should've just said, 'Yeah."CS.one R3DC3ll Faction-Join us or die...proud member of TheBeastlyNinja Epic-uber elite comedy crew
11-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by le'deuche123 View Post
...while shamelessly using the assets and brand recognition of other IP's, you can make a heap of cash...wow!
Genuine question - for what games are they shamelessly using brand recognition and assets?

They have a lot of games in the store and I'm only familiar with a few of them.

David - Hackdirt
11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Genuine question - for what games are they shamelessly using brand recognition and assets?

They have a lot of games in the store and I'm only familiar with a few of them.
Gangstar, blades of fury, Hero of sparta, modern combat. All have done well by primarily riding on the success of well known franchises. And not even done well to boot.

My friend said to me, "I think the weather's trippy." I said, "No, man, it's not the weather that's trippy, perhaps it is the way that we perceive it that is indeed trippy." Then I thought, "Man, I should've just said, 'Yeah."CS.one R3DC3ll Faction-Join us or die...proud member of TheBeastlyNinja Epic-uber elite comedy crew
11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Quote:

Remember that Gameloft actually has tools to fight the piracy against its games. They haven't compltely gotten rid of it but many less of their games are pirated than the indies

Gamecenter: Will090
11-03-2009, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will090 View Post
Remember that Gameloft actually has tools to fight the piracy against its games. They haven't compltely gotten rid of it but many less of their games are pirated than the indies
Are you sure? I just did some searching and it only took me two minutes to find torrents of cracked versions of literally all their games.

David - Hackdirt
11-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Yeah but in the dungeon hunter thread I heard of people stating that they couldn't get past a certain level, when the game crashed.

Beta Testing/ed: Undercroft, Baseball Superstars 2010, Battle for Wesnoth, Fuzion, Twilight Golf, Indestructible Tank, Nanomechs Online Multi, Plushed, Ground Effect, Castlecraft, Inotia 2, Boom it Up, Guerrilla Bob, Caligo Chaser, Vanquish, IMO, Crunchy Orbs, Zenonia 2, Luna Story, Aralon, Shadow Era, Hybrid 2
11-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by le'deuche123 View Post
Gangstar, blades of fury, Hero of sparta, modern combat. All have done well by primarily riding on the success of well known franchises. And not even done well to boot.
Actually, of those I would only defend Blades of Fury, which I think stand on its own as a great iPhone fighting game (and one that I still play regularly a couple months after it was released).

Then again, le'deuche and I have disagreed on this very point before .

Oh, and I agree: Asphalt 5 rocks. Guess you could say that's a Burnout clone (sort of).
11-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Keep in mind that's $44m in sales, not profit. According to PocketGamer they had upwards of $160m in sales last year, but managed a net loss of over $2m. In other words, it's easy to spend more buckets of money than you make.

SHREDD GO FAST! FREE!
Nozoku Rush Kick Math's Ass!
Critter Panic Break yer brain! FREE!
Silverfish & Silverfish MAX Hardcore arcade insanity!
Nozoku A casual game of math & logic.
More: cbox.me Twitter YouTube