★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

sick of copy-cat games

11-03-2009, 05:39 PM
sick of copy-cat games

i am sooooo sick of all these copy-cat games! every time i go on this site and look at the new games, it seems like they all are similar, if not almost identical, to previous games! what is happening to all the original games! Spider for example! I WANT NEW GAMES!!!!

what do y'all think?
11-03-2009, 05:41 PM
What are you on about?
Please give some examples of games which you consider 'copies'.

Hakuna Matata

11-03-2009, 05:49 PM
an endless # of
~duel stick shooters
~doodle jump-like games
~line drawing games
~archer games
~castle defense
~tower defense games (only the myriad of crappy ones)
~time management
~un-blocking games (such as blocked or parkinglot)
~marble shooters
~ball rollers (at least the crappy ones)

i want to see some more original games such as (what i own)

Invisible links
Rolando
Spider
iblast moki
zen bound

u know what i mean?

some indie developers make crappy copy-cats of vague genres of games (such as castle defense) and corrupt the app store with their horrible titles!
11-03-2009, 05:53 PM
And with each new game, it will be that much harder to think of a completely new game.
Take Aqua Globs for example. It is a line drawing game, but:
-It connects two moving objects not one
-Different graphical theme from others
-Numerous levels with their own challenges and different globs, something other LDs are missing

And if you think indie developers make 'crappy copy-cats of vague genres of games,' why don't you try? I don't see you producing anything better...
11-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGH94 View Post
And with each new game, it will be that much harder to think of a completely new game.
Take Aqua Globs for example. It is a line drawing game, but:
-It connects two moving objects not one
-Different graphical theme from others
-Numerous levels with their own challenges and different globs, something other LDs are missing

And if you think indie developers make 'crappy copy-cats of vague genres of games,' why don't you try? I don't see you producing anything better...
Hahaha. +1 to this. Creating new games isn't easy. Creating new genres is harder. So basically every game can be placed into a game genre, and each game will have its own uniqueness. Some will be hard to find, but others will surely stand out. There's plenty of great games out there, trust me.

Beta Testing/ed: Undercroft, Baseball Superstars 2010, Battle for Wesnoth, Fuzion, Twilight Golf, Indestructible Tank, Nanomechs Online Multi, Plushed, Ground Effect, Castlecraft, Inotia 2, Boom it Up, Guerrilla Bob, Caligo Chaser, Vanquish, IMO, Crunchy Orbs, Zenonia 2, Luna Story, Aralon, Shadow Era, Hybrid 2
11-03-2009, 05:56 PM
geez! no need to get all worked up!

i said SOME indie developers... and i never said that i could make a good game...

and you seem obsessed with aqua globs.... so i cant trust what you are saying... u seem biased
11-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Are you familiar with the word genre?

/sarcasm
11-03-2009, 06:01 PM
.....hmmmmm... i have wurdle and muddled...

if thats what ur talking about?

??
11-03-2009, 06:06 PM
I have a bit of a different take on this.

I love my match 3s and line drawing routing games!

My deal, however, is that while I don't mind developers jumping on the bandwagon to make YET ANOTHER match 3 or line drawer, you need to add a unique twist OTHER THAN a graphical tweak ("Oh sure it's Tetris but look, all of the pieces are based on Simpson characters.")

There are WAAAY too many Bejeweled clones that add absolutely nothing and can't even reproduce the original's cool progressive scoring!

So, for example, if a fan of Flight Control, don't be so quick to write off Harbor Master, Airline Conqueror, or the just released Astroserf which are all very unique takes on the genre.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
11-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGH94 View Post
I'm not sure if that is a viable argument. As a customer, I think he has a right to complain just as I might have a right to complain about the stupid music and movies that have come about in recent years.

As an artist, I learned long ago to develop a thick skin. People who have no education nor particular interest in Art are allowed to criticize my work.

The real problem is that original and innovative games are hard to categorize and difficult to sell. Not only that, an original or innovative concept does not necessarily make it fun nor interesting.

At one time, the dual-stick shooter WAS new. Now it is almost a genre by itself. I would say that the quality has improved overall, so copy-cats aren't necessarily a bad thing.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone