★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Daniel Nora
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 70.0 MB
  • Version: 1.0.1
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Cardinal Chains is a minimalist puzzle game centering on the concept of non-decreasing sequences.

Each puzzle begins with a monochrome grid of numbers, plus a few colored cells marked with an X. Starting at these cells, you must link up numbers in non-decreasing order until the whole grid is filled with color.

500 unique, carefully handcrafted puzzles, each with a single solution
Varied difficulty and puzzle types to keep things lively
Minimalist, elegant design with a clean interface and smooth animations
Looks great on all devices and screen orientations
No timers, ads, purchases or other annoyances of any kind - just pure gameplay
Features achievements and cloud saves

Daniel Nora's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up
03-29-2018, 05:35 PM
Daniel,

Curious about the mathematical principles behind this game. How do you guarantee that each layout has a unique solution? Saw the screenshots but did not quite grasp the game's mechanics.

03-29-2018, 06:52 PM
Hi, thanks for asking!

Maybe the video can clear it up a bit. The game itself introduces the mechanics in a way that is simple to understand.

Basically, you start filling up the board from the cells marked with an X. From an X, you can link up to any number, e.g. X -> 2. From a number, you can link up to any other number that is NOT inferior, e.g. X -> 2 -> 2 -> 3 -> 5 (but not X -> 2 -> 1). You do this until the whole board is linked up. Eventually the rules become second nature.

As for guaranteeing unique solutions, I made my own automatic solver which is basically an heavily optimized recursive backtracker. So I can just make/edit a puzzle by hand and immediately check how many solutions it has. All puzzles have exactly one solution, except for two specific puzzles which were intentionally designed to have multiple solutions (puzzles 145 and 383).

Apart from the solver, making puzzles is a manual process, something I set my mind on from the beginning because personally I prefer handmade puzzle games to autogenerated ones. Making a puzzle can take anything from 10 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the size, number of holes, etc. They were also tested multiple times (in different days) to verify that the difficulty conforms to my intentions and that the tricky spots remain tricky long after I forget how I made the puzzle.
04-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Hello again guys!

Just wanted you to know that you can try out the first 100 levels for free on your computer. The demo is up on itch.io and plays right on the browser!

Happy chaining!
04-07-2018, 04:15 PM
i actually bought the game on itchio where i discovered it. then nabbed it on android for portability and will definitely grab it again on ios down the line.

fairly simple premise but so addicting. good luck with your game.
04-07-2018, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingaficionado View Post
i actually bought the game on itchio where i discovered it. then nabbed it on android for portability and will definitely grab it again on ios down the line.

fairly simple premise but so addicting. good luck with your game.
Thank you so much! By the way, check your PMs
04-07-2018, 07:32 PM
150 levels in!
As a logic puzzle fan, what drew me to this was the promise of unique solutions to every level - I consider this really important for logic puzzles and not enough games out there do this. It’s really awesome that this is something you’ve included in the design philosophy for this game!

It’s definitely addicting and the difficulty is starting to ramp up - can’t wait to see what the later parts of the game are like!

Huge amount of carefully made content. I like it!
04-08-2018, 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Nora View Post
Thank you so much! By the way, check your PMs
ok you guys, you better support this dev! he is genuinely really nice and dropped me a nice pm just like that.

here is his itch.io page: https://danijmn.itch.io/cardinalchains

i bought the game 2 weeks ago there and haven't stopped playing the game since.
04-08-2018, 04:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatEscaper View Post
150 levels in!
As a logic puzzle fan, what drew me to this was the promise of unique solutions to every level - I consider this really important for logic puzzles and not enough games out there do this. Its really awesome that this is something youve included in the design philosophy for this game!

Its definitely addicting and the difficulty is starting to ramp up - cant wait to see what the later parts of the game are like!

Huge amount of carefully made content. I like it!
Hey, I remember you... you were one of the first people who left me some feedback about Flip Grip!

Thanks a lot for the kind words!! Keep playing and you might find a little surprise
04-08-2018, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingaficionado View Post
ok you guys, you better support this dev! he is genuinely really nice and dropped me a nice pm just like that.

here is his itch.io page: https://danijmn.itch.io/cardinalchains

i bought the game 2 weeks ago there and haven't stopped playing the game since.
A huge thank you... this makes me really happy!