★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: ZPLAY
  • Genre: Adventure
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 1295.7 MB
  • Version: 1.0.1
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (4)
App description: - IGF CHINA 2015 Excellence Award
- GMGC 2016 Nomination
- Golden Plume Award 2017 Most Expected Console Game

Original Journey is a shooting game with 2D graphics in cartoon style. Its fun gameplay consists of roguelike stages and various sci-fi mechas and weapons.
Deep in the universe lies a mysterious planet called the Planet Shadow--A ogreish name that implies lethal gas, floating islands and dark secrets. To save your motherland, you will be travelling to this dangerous destination with the Ato-Ma to explore the magical energy there.

You will be playing as a recruit of the Ato-Ma forces, exploring the planet under the leadership of Captain Colin, the legendary hero. In order to change the destiny of your homeland, you must improve your skills, upgrade your equipments and find out all the secrets hidden behind this expedition.

What would you do to save your own race, even if you are only a soldier?

Feature

· Breath-taking story of the Ato-Ma

· Countless combinations of weapons

· Deployment strategies of supportive turrets

· Secrets hidden behind hundreds of roguelike maps

· Various mechas

· Fun side quests including the shooting match against the Old Hunter and the running race against Lovely.

Jane Wang's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up
04-08-2018, 11:38 AM
This is a very cool dual-stick shooter/base defense game. The graphics are gorgeous, the writing is smart and engaging, and there’s a fair amount of depth — including weapon and armor crafting and RPG elements. The controls are a bit fiddly but forgiving.

This is still available on Steam for $12.99 (with mostly positive reviews), so it’s kind of a steal at $2.99 on iOS. It’s fully premium, too.

A very nice surprise...

04-08-2018, 12:24 PM
I have heard that ZPLAY has recently become a provider of good indie game developers.
04-09-2018, 10:52 AM
I played this pretty obsessively over the weekend and I’m still very impressed. The RPG elements are stronger than I thought, and the mission structure ties well with the action. And I really like the risk/reward system.

But the real plus here is that there is so much personality to the art direction that it’s just a joy to spend time in this weird world. Though visually very different, there’s something very Oddworld about the vibe here.

This is one that our Premium-only contingency should definitely not passed up.
04-09-2018, 11:12 AM
What about errors or balances in the game? This was a disadvantage of Steam's PC version. And There was a comment that the player could not check the ability of the monster. But game art itself is wonderful.
04-09-2018, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deresi View Post
What about errors or balances in the game? This was a disadvantage of Steam's PC version. And There was a comment that the player could not check the ability of the monster. But game art itself is wonderful.
Not sure about balancing — I may not have gone far enough to find the issues. I can see where a beastiogy might be useful, but the mystery fits the game/story.
04-09-2018, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Not sure about balancing — I may not have gone far enough to find the issues. I can see where a beastiogy might be useful, but the mystery fits the game/story.
From what I have played, I have seen anything that rubs me the wrong way aside of the controls every now and then.

The platforming / race encounter was more difficult than I thought it would be because of this. But I still managed it on the first try! Bubble Gun time!!!

Coordinator @ Fat Thunder
www.Fatthunder.com
04-09-2018, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrco View Post
From what I have played, I have seen anything that rubs me the wrong way aside of the controls every now and then.

The platforming / race encounter was more difficult than I thought it would be because of this. But I still managed it on the first try! Bubble Gun time!!!
I switched over to the left stick/ right fire control set up and that’s working better for me. Though the platforming style controls are probably best for the “lovely race.”
04-09-2018, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
I switched over to the left stick/ right fire control set up and that’s working better for me. Though the platforming style controls are probably best for the “lovely race.”
Mode one is working great for me right now as well. This game is awesome! Between it and Pocket Realms, I am set for a while on my commute games!

Coordinator @ Fat Thunder
www.Fatthunder.com
04-09-2018, 05:53 PM
1.3GB!? I’m wondering what makes this app so large.