★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The only neural network trained backgammon AI on iOS! Based on the techniques pioneered by the groundbreaking AI research of Gerald Tesauro, Backgammon Machine leverages the power of Apple's brand new CoreML machine learning technology to create a fast and challenging opponent at two different skill levels.

My dad complained that his backgammon app cheated at higher difficulties, and he was right! Backgammon Machine's dice are 100% fair (though it will feel like cheating sometimes when you're getting hammered)

Can you beat The Machine?

onebigdoor's comments:

It's been mostly me and my dad playing so far. Very curious what the world thinks. I'm active on these forums, so that's the best way to reach me.
04-12-2018, 05:33 AM
Outstanding😁

Have only played 2 games and thoroughly enjoyed both. Really like the mechanics and simpllicity of the design. Reminds me of playing on my Fat Mac... dont change a thing 😁 You might want to consider an option for no undo for the hard core bkgmn fans that want piece played is final altough likely no one would use it 🤪 Looking forward to trying machine 2.1 This looks to be my new go to bckgmn app. Thank you 😎

04-12-2018, 11:31 AM
Thanks so much for the feedback! Machine 2_1 beats 1_0 about 60% / 40%, so it should present a better challenge. Both AIs make their biggest mistakes in the endgame, which is a known flaw with this type of learning architecture. I'm working on Machine 3_0 that addresses the issue, but I need to get an Android version done first.
04-12-2018, 12:54 PM
Would it be possible to enable this to run on iOS 10?
04-12-2018, 01:38 PM
IOS 11 ? please make it playable on IOS 8, 9 and 10. You will be rewarded by a larger audience.
04-12-2018, 01:54 PM
I would LOVE to support older OS's but the CoreML framework that the AI runs on is OS 11+ only.

fwiw, I run 11.3 on my 5s, and we're doing just fine.
04-12-2018, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebigdoor View Post
I would LOVE to support older OS's but the CoreML framework that the AI runs on is OS 11+ only.

Thanks for replying. I understand the point.
04-12-2018, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebigdoor View Post

Thanks. It's about time I let go of some old games and update anyway.
04-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Good but missing doubling cube

I do like the interface, but one thing very important element is missing. The doubling cube. Backgammon is very often played in a match over several games of backgammon keeping score until someone hits the winning point count (a variable choice perhaps set in options). The doubling cube adds an important element of risk vs reward to backgammon and has always been my favorite part of backgammon. It missing from this version unfortunately makes me very unlikely to continue playing.

Riptorch
04-13-2018, 12:34 PM
I like the simplistic design. Please include a little tutorial or a manual for the first run. Not everyone is used to this old game. And maybe add a tip via inapp.