★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Nitrome
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 32.3 MB
  • Version: 1.0.8
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Explore exciting worlds and solve tricky challenges in this action-packed platforming game!

- Spiky platforming action!
- Just swipe up, down, left, and right to move around!
- Stick into walls with your powerful spike!
- Endless challenges!
- Awesome Level Mode!
- Epic boss battles!
- Collect cool power-ups!
- Customise your character!
- Retro pixel graphics!

-Important information-
This game contains third party advertising and cross promotion for other nitrome games, both which can be removed via a one time In App Purchase.

Anotherkellydown's comments:

Game Trailer:

05-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Location: Somewhere in a town in the middle of the Amazon jungle.
Gameplay kinda reminded me of Tomb of the Mask. Controls work pretty good, although I found myself not moving after swiping in the direction I wanted my character to go a few times. Pretty fun score chaser with plenty of contents to unlock using the coins you collect through playing.

Comes with endless and level-based (unlocks with $20 in-game coins) modes. Might be a little hard at first, but getting higher scores is fun enough as you grow familiar with environment hazards/layouts and enemies. Power-ups are pretty important.

Good quality game, as expected from stuff published by Nitrome.

05-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Yeah, it does kind of feel like Tomb of the Mask - good call. It's like if TotM and Leap Day had a beautiful baby. I'm really enjoying Spike City - probably my favorite new game I've played in 2018!

GC & Google Play: Jerutix -- Grace and Peace
05-04-2018, 08:42 AM
Spikey

Took me a while to figure out that sticking to roof thingy.
05-05-2018, 05:26 PM
Really cool game! Only comment I would add is that it would be cool if the no ads purchase came with some sort of bonus rather than simply removing adds.
05-07-2018, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1574 View Post
Really cool game! Only comment I would add is that it would be cool if the no ads purchase came with some sort of bonus rather than simply removing adds.
No ads gives you one free continue in infinite mode and one free checkpoint per level in the level mode. It wasnt totally clear to me at first either.

Been loving this too. Finished all 4 worlds and collected all the purple coins. Now working on infinite arcade mode & upgrading the power ups. Good choice for Game of the Week by TA. 🙌

Game Center: AnotherkellydwN

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 2481-8785-2021

My Instagram & Twitter
05-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Good game, but needs more levels!!
05-07-2018, 12:18 PM
How is it this only has 2.5 stars? On a separate note Im not sure I like the fact that you can only have 1 power-up active at any one time. As soon as you pick up the 2nd one you deactivate the 1st.
Enjoying the levels including the boss battles - very different to anything I have played before
05-07-2018, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotherkellydown View Post
No ads gives you one free continue in infinite mode and one free checkpoint per level in the level mode. It wasnt totally clear to me at first either.

Been loving this too. Finished all 4 worlds and collected all the purple coins. Now working on infinite arcade mode & upgrading the power ups. Good choice for Game of the Week by TA. 🙌
Thanks! Tbh dont use the continues so didnt notice. Worth supporting the developers as personally I think its a really cool game.
05-08-2018, 09:34 AM
I think it’s primarily due to the controls either sucking or not being evident for various reasons. The controls were frustrating enough that I wound up deleting the game, but I can admit that I might have just not known what I was doing. All of the places where the coins were in hard to reach places were completely impossible to reach due to the controls being unresponsive or at the very least inconsistent with my sideways swipes or because I just didn’t know what the heck I was doing. What confused and frustrated me was whether I was supposed to be swiping sideways while going up and down or doing this only after I landed somewhere. The reason I got the impression that I was supposed to swipe sideways while traveling was how the character occasionally does move in the direction that was swiped, but the sideways movement was so unreliable as to be almost useless for being able to make it to the hard to reach areas.