★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: The 99 cent game you wish you had...

01-01-2009, 08:16 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 336
The 99 cent game you wish you had...

Hi, all,

After releasing our first game with some success, we're at the drawing board for our next one. I thought I'd post a note here to see if any of you have thoughts about what kinds of games are needed in the 99 cent market (sorry, we don't yet have the resources to do a 3D virtual world game in the 10 dollar range!). A few thoughts:

1. Quality remakes of arcade games?
2. Games that mimic real-life games? (e.g. ping pong)
3. Original games in traditional formats? (e.g. mario-like games)
4. Original games that use the new device features? (e.g. monkey ball)
5. Games for your kids?
6. Other?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated; thanks for your time.

fairlady
http://www.fairladymedia.com
http://www.whackemall.com
01-01-2009, 08:19 PM
#2
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlady View Post
Hi, all,

After releasing our first game with some success, we're at the drawing board for our next one. I thought I'd post a note here to see if any of you have thoughts about what kinds of games are needed in the 99 cent market (sorry, we don't yet have the resources to do a 3D virtual world game in the 10 dollar range!). A few thoughts:

1. Quality remakes of arcade games?
2. Games that mimic real-life games? (e.g. ping pong)
3. Original games in traditional formats? (e.g. mario-like games)
4. Original games that use the new device features? (e.g. monkey ball)
5. Games for your kids?
6. Other?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated; thanks for your time.

fairlady
http://www.fairladymedia.com
http://www.whackemall.com

An addictive physics game, sort of like trace, where you have to get to a goal with limited resources (not lines, like crayon physics, more of a puzzle type game?). Almost like a cross between crayon physics, trace, and a puzzle game, would be really cool IMO (Of course that would be more than a 99 cent game)

PS: Thank you for saying "99 cent". I hate when people say ".99 cent". Just like you're, your, their, they're, there, etc, we should know this people!! you can't have 99/100 of a penny!!!

01-01-2009, 08:21 PM
#3
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Wouldn't you like to know ;)
Posts: 2,632
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlady View Post
Hi, all,

After releasing our first game with some success, we're at the drawing board for our next one. I thought I'd post a note here to see if any of you have thoughts about what kinds of games are needed in the 99 cent market (sorry, we don't yet have the resources to do a 3D virtual world game in the 10 dollar range!). A few thoughts:

1. Quality remakes of arcade games?
2. Games that mimic real-life games? (e.g. ping pong)
3. Original games in traditional formats? (e.g. mario-like games)
4. Original games that use the new device features? (e.g. monkey ball)
5. Games for your kids?
6. Other?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated; thanks for your time.

fairlady
http://www.fairladymedia.com
http://www.whackemall.com
Well, in the $.99 range, I would have to say something similar to what is already out there, but add some sort of something different. I'd say take the Tiki Towers idea and build on it. Otherwise, a nice 2D platformer would be nice. But make it utilize the new device features, multitouch, and all that. I'd be happy to beta test whatever you decide upon.
01-01-2009, 08:21 PM
#4
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 301
A platformer (Simple, just an A, B, and dpad) reminiscent of mario would also be awesome. If you have seen the NES emulator for jailbreak, you should use controls like that. If you haven't, go on youtube and find a video of it.

PS: this is a good idea (Asking ppl what THEY want)

Edit/ i would also beta test
01-01-2009, 08:23 PM
#5
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,404
I personally prefer games which you can enjoy for hours. There are too many gimmicky pickup-and-trash games on AppStore right now.

What I'm curious about is how can you make something like Super Monkey Ball or Mario Bros with $0.99 sale price in mind? I thought devs were crying the price standard is too low to create games with good production value?
01-01-2009, 08:24 PM
#6
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 15
Take a look at:
Battleships Forever
Freecol

Generally speaking, the Ipod Touch is missing strategy games that arent trunbased and depend on pure luck(eg Strategery).
The only good RTS is Galcon, although that is rather shallow.

Id betatest and even localize ur game(german) if id come to like it.
01-01-2009, 08:31 PM
#7
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Wouldn't you like to know ;)
Posts: 2,632
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkei View Post
I personally prefer games which you can enjoy for hours. There are too many gimmicky pickup-and-trash games on AppStore right now.

What I'm curious about is how can you make something like Super Monkey Ball or Mario Bros with $0.99 sale price in mind? I thought devs were crying the price standard is too low to create games with good production value?
Those are examples. And the controls that are specific to the platform, like SMB. They don't plan to make something that great, but examples Bounce On, which is very inexpensive, yet is great and Mario like.
01-01-2009, 08:40 PM
#8
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkei View Post
I personally prefer games which you can enjoy for hours. There are too many gimmicky pickup-and-trash games on AppStore right now.

What I'm curious about is how can you make something like Super Monkey Ball or Mario Bros with $0.99 sale price in mind? I thought devs were crying the price standard is too low to create games with good production value?
You're right that it would be hard to make a game that is equivalent to either of those games in the 99 cent price range; the question is more about game format/features. Has the "2D world with levels" concept been over-done? Should new games should use new device features like the built-in accelerometer to give gamers a new gaming experience?

I do think that you can create a high-quality (and addictive) game in the 99 cent market. For awhile I was completely addicted to a silly game called Candy Cruncher on my old Palm...
01-01-2009, 08:47 PM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinXitoW View Post
Take a look at:
Battleships Forever
Freecol

Generally speaking, the Ipod Touch is missing strategy games that arent trunbased and depend on pure luck(eg Strategery).
The only good RTS is Galcon, although that is rather shallow.

Id betatest and even localize ur game(german) if id come to like it.
I've never played Battleships Forever, but after looking what it's about, I'm going to try it.

Another game I would gladly pay $10 or more, it would be Stars!(or a clone). That is my most played PC game ever. It is a turn-based strategy game in which you explore the universe, colonize worlds, build ships for defense or wage war against the AI or another players. Follow the link to know more about it.
01-01-2009, 08:55 PM
#10
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlady View Post
Has the "2D world with levels" concept been over-done? Should new games should use new device features like the built-in accelerometer to give gamers a new gaming experience?
If by '2d world with levels' you mean side-scrolling platformers, then the answer is no. There's no good platformers yet for the iPhone. The closest I can think of are Hamster House, Trace, Ricky Rocketson. I know some guys would scream 'Toy Bot' and 'Bounce On', but for me they're not traditional platformers.

On the contrary, the accelerometer control has been experimented to death now. It's similar to DS games in its first few months. All games want to use its touch screen capability just for the sake of it without really thinking of a good concept.