★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Inspired by the classic computer game from our childhood, Minesweeper Genius is a brain teaser that will challenge your logical thinking.

Help Aristotle the genius with a broom sweep the field to escape from the aliens' scientific experiments, discovering where all the bombs are hidden.

HOW TO PLAY:
Read the numbers to know how many mines there are in each column and each line
Flags the tiles which contain a mine
Then move the sweeper genius to the portal!

FEATURES:
Our procedural generator can create an unlimited number of random levels
Absolutely no guessing or luck involved
Game Center Achievements
iCloud Save

Boardumb's comments:

05-16-2018, 08:06 PM
Looks like picross but with mines

05-17-2018, 05:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightsiderus View Post
Looks like picross but with mines
And it is indeed one of our references! (Dev here)

Gameplay started more like a memory sort of game, and at one point when iterating on it we ended up drawing some inspiration from both Minesweeper and Picross to make it more fun. After some other dozen iterations it eventually evolved to the gameplay we have now.

There's also a Pokemon minigame called Voltorb Flip which a player compared ours to, it seems to play similarly as well.
05-18-2018, 01:32 AM
really nice game, as a big picross fan really enjoying it

have to ask though are you always 100% able to logically assess your next move (i.e. not guess) - I understand the principles of picross where this is always the case but couple of times here even on simpler levels been scratching my head (I think I may be missing something in the logic but not sure what !)
05-18-2018, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotters View Post
really nice game, as a big picross fan really enjoying it

have to ask though are you always 100% able to logically assess your next move (i.e. not guess) - I understand the principles of picross where this is always the case but couple of times here even on simpler levels been scratching my head (I think I may be missing something in the logic but not sure what !)
Yep, you can always calculate your next step using logic only.
After a level is generated, there's an algorithm that tries to beat the level; if it comes to an unreadable step, it adds some extra info to the board and tries to beat it again, then keeps doing that until it's ok until the end.

One thing that the algorithm uses and you may want to use yourself are "flags for safe tiles". Of course there isn't such a feature in the game, but you can "mentally use" it (memorizing the tiles which you can safely say that are clean) and it'll help you read the board.

If you want, feel free to post a screenshot of a board you're having trouble with here and I can try to help you understand what kind of read you're missing!
05-18-2018, 04:24 PM
Oh no, this is so bad. I should not have got this; I have stuff to do!
05-19-2018, 08:39 AM
How is the star rating determined for each level? The game's tutorial never explained this.
05-19-2018, 08:47 AM
I played about 30 minutes last night. It's a brilliant take on minesweeper with some nonogram and other logic thrown in, and it really meshes quite well.
05-19-2018, 08:48 AM
They’re lives. ie. 3 stars, didn’t die; 2 stars, died once etc.

Edit: @ v2kmp3
05-19-2018, 10:42 AM
A new re-interpretation of the classic game!? Their attempt is great.

There are more things in heaven and earth.