★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Asking piracy sites to remove your app?

11-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Asking piracy sites to remove your app?

Would this be effective or do they have some sort of protection that allows them to post your app on their site to be illegally downloaded?
11-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Its illegal to start with. They are already breaking the law. Its not like anything you say is going to change their minds.

Playstaion Network: zachattacksox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kijib View Post
my guns are so big i cant scratch my nose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skate View Post
Why would you hold firearms while scratching your nose?

11-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattacksox View Post
Its illegal to start with. They are already breaking the law. Its not like anything you say is going to change their minds.
Actually there was a file sharing site that had a friends game on it and we reported it as copywriten material and it was removed. See if the site in question has a contact and give it a try.

"when he eats three poops and becomes muscle bound, that was worth the .99 right there." -Super Fly!
Tetris and Bubble Wrap had a baby and named it Super Juicy!
TouchGen Best of 2009 Finalist! 5/5 Best of 2009
11-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I've asked many file hosting sites in the past to remove my games. A simple email that said "I'm the copyright holder, please remove this file from your site" usually works. Some responded within a day and some never responded. There was one site that said it was hosted in some country and don't even bother sending these emails. I gave up after a while because as soon as 1 went down, 5 more popped up.
11-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Many illegal download sites (same with videos and music) actually try and hide behind a blanket of ignorance. They'll have a disclaimer telling people not to upload copyrighted material, and if they get into any legal trouble they'll point at the disclaimer and blame it on their users. I've had experience with websites like this in the past, and a lot of them will actually take down your copyrighted material if you send a well-written email. Not always, but I say it's worth a try.

At the end of the day though, while it might stop a few people getting a hold of your game easily, those who really want it will still be able to get it from P2P and torrents.

Last edited by EssentialParadox; 11-04-2009 at 09:17 PM.
11-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravetarget View Post
Would this be effective or do they have some sort of protection that allows them to post your app on their site to be illegally downloaded?
good luck. i've found that most of our "removed games" from the app store are available as a cracked version - since we cannot sell the games anyhow; its free marketing for us. its an issue when you have a game currently for sale and it has an impact on sales.. one could argue forever the intensions of pirates; with no end decision.

i've seen a lot of stuff on various sites etc - which are used pretty much exclusively for pirate software. they typically have a DMCA link on them - so you could try contacting them to ask for the applications to be removed. i doubt they'll listen to any form of legal threats...

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series

Last edited by mobile1up; 11-05-2009 at 01:43 AM. Reason: - added info about DMCA links
11-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Invalid File. This error has been forwarded to xxxxxx's development team.

AHHH it works. wont prevent it from being uploaded again, but maybe you can break some of the links on some of the warez sites by requesting the removal of the downloads.

// Aaron Ardiri
11-05-2009, 08:58 AM
To paraphrase a sitcom from the 90's I can't rememberó trying to take something off the internet is like trying to take pee out of a pool.

Once it is out there it is out there.

You're also going to run into this.
11-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlink View Post
To paraphrase a sitcom from the 90's I can't rememberó trying to take something off the internet is like trying to take pee out of a pool. Once it is out there it is out there.You're also going to run into this.
sure; its a cat and mouse game - but at least some of the file hosting sites will remove the files and place md5 checks on the zip files to prevent them from being uploaded again.. if a warez site links to a bad file url - its going to lose it's reputation - but i am sure others will simply re-upload the file to another location (meaning, we'll have to keep contacting the file sharing sites)

// Aaron Ardiri
11-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlink View Post
You're also going to run into this.
Sometimes if you tell them that you are an indie dev making little to nothing, they'll sympathize and remove the files. Not PB, but file hosting sites. Anyway, I've given up on sending emails. I think the next thing I'm going to do is a delayed crack detection trigger to show ads. Maybe 1-2 day delay since no warez group is going to miss out on a 0-day release.