★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Conlan Rios
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 6.0 MB
  • Version: 1.0
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: ====================
YOUR JOURNEY BEGINS
====================

A hidden temple has been discovered! Will the Mayan gods be pleased with your progress or will you bring their wrath upon you like countless others before...

Prepare yourself for this new puzzler designed by award winning game designer, Reiner Knizia!

====================
HOW TO PLAY
====================

- Swipe stones to the left or right to fill rows.

- Rows are scored on 3 matching colors, 3 matching symbols, or 3 matching number of symbols. Rows that contain identical pairs of stones also score.

- Combine matches across rows to score even higher.

- Broken stones can only be scored by color and do not match in any other way.

- Drag dynamite onto unwanted stones to destroy them. You receive new dynamite when the supply truck reaches your base camp.

====================
GAME OVER WHEN
====================

- Challenge mode: when the bottom row displaying skulls is scored.

- Action mode: when you you run of time. You receive a time penalty when the bottom row displaying hourglasses is scored.

====================
FEATURES (v1.0)
====================

- Designed exclusively for iPhone/iPod Touch. From the ground up.

- Multiple game modes. Play Challenge to test your long term planning skills or Action for your mental reflexes.

- Beat the record. Top 50 high scores for world, country and personal for measuring your progress.

- Game saver. Close the app to answer a call, text or email. Your current game will pause and resume next time you play.

- Immersive music and effects. But don't worry, you'll have the option to listen to your own instead.

====================
FOLLOW
====================

For game news and updates:

@ twitter.com/conlan
@ conlanrios.com

=============
CREDITS
=============

Game Design by Reiner Knizia
Game Development by Conlan Rios
Artwork by Vaclav Jakubek
Music composed by Mike Weiser, www.mikeweisermusic.com (ASCAP)

Please be sure you're running firmware version 3.0 or higher on your iPhone or iPod Touch. For best results, please reboot your device before playing Monumental.

For 1 player.

==============================
KNOWN ISSUES (fix in progress)
==============================

- Tweeting scores on Twitter

conlan's comments:

Features (v1.0)

- Designed exclusively for iPhone/iPod Touch. From the ground up.

- Multiple game modes. Play Challenge to test your long term planning skills or Action for your mental reflexes.

- Beat the record. Top 50 high scores for world, country and personal for measuring your progress.

- Game saver. Close the app to answer a call, text or email. Your current game will pause and resume next time you play.

- Immersive music and effects. But don't worry, you'll have the option to listen to your music instead.
11-05-2009, 03:38 AM
This look pretty damn sweet... Anyone care to TOFT this one? Maybe even a vid?

Had hoped for a $0.99 release but...

11-05-2009, 03:40 AM
YIPPEEEE!

The dev promised months ago on the forum that if I was patient, cool things would be coming....

HERE IT IS!!
11-05-2009, 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plast2 View Post
This look pretty damn sweet... Anyone care to TOFT this one? Maybe even a vid?

Had hoped for a $0.99 release but...
I will TOFTT in a second. I don't do vids myself, but I can give you a heads-up on the graphics, play, etc.

This will be my second RK game, after I purchased Roto earlier this week! That was really great too.
11-05-2009, 03:49 AM
Hey guys, hope you like this one, feel free to ask any questions about the game

Latest Game: Reiner Knizia's Samurai with turn-based, online multiplayer!

Follow for game news and updates @ twitter.com/conlan
11-05-2009, 04:15 AM
Here's my TOFTT thoughts: Very interesting little game. I judge games so much on how they play "straight out of the box" with little reading of the instructions. This game helps because it has exactly 2 pages worth of well-written instructions, in great graphics.

First thing it asks, as Conlan said in his intro, is if you want game sounds or not. That's great, because using your own music is key in casual games.

The above-mentioned graphics are very well done. It's got a similar feeling to the HOG "Everest: Hidden Expedition" mixed in with Indiana Jones, glossed over with your traditional Karl May-inspired atmosphere (those of you who know German literature will understand how heavily influenced all "exotic" locales are to them, because of May's adventure novels).

The controls are super simple. You slide the 3 coloured discs into place to score points. You have 3D prompters like "Numbers" and a golden disc when you've connected them correctly.

The only negative I see actually is outside of the game. When you click on Reiner Knizia's Games in the Menu, it takes you to the App Store. All well and fine, but for example, Big Fish Games allows you to close that section, and you're back in the game. With Monumental, you have to select it again to enter it. Just a quibble.

I give it a 7/10 with very good replay value. Worth $1.99.

Some screenies.

Instructions couldn't be easier. It looks like a game you can pick up any time but it stills challenges you.

The Leaderboard. Tony Soprano is SOOO pwned by Donald Duck.

"Number" popping out when you do something right. The colours aren't too garish, like many adventure games.

Last edited by Fe1; 11-07-2009 at 03:43 AM.
11-05-2009, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the toftt, Fe1. It looks very nice indeed.

Gonna get this based on the name alone actually.
11-05-2009, 04:30 AM
You like the name, as in "I like saying Reiner Knizia in my head, it's so cool" or as in "his reputation for great gaming precedes him"?
11-05-2009, 04:59 AM
I meant the latter. Actually, I think his name is kinda cool to say too.
11-05-2009, 06:59 AM
Insta-buy. I have all of Knizia's games, and they're all great...this seems to keep the streak alive.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!