★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: What have played so far? Comments?

07-11-2008, 03:34 PM
What have played so far? Comments?

So far I've played: Super Monkey Ball, Bomberman, Trism, Enigmo, Crash Bandicoot Racing

Comments:

Super Monkey Ball - Graphically looks great and all the menus and everything looks polished. It does seem to get super hard rather quickly though. I end up falling off the sides when there is no barrier. Controls isn't too bad. I wish you could adjust the starting position so I could play it in bed.

Bomberman - I haven't really had much luck with this. It looks good but the controls just don't seem accurate enough for this game. I end up running into bad guys or my own bombs.

Trism - Great puzzle game. Reminds me very much of Hexic on the Xbox 360. The touch screen controls and use of the accelerometer is perfect. No complaints really. Has crashed on me a couple of times though

Crash Bandicoot Racing - I don't really find tilting the screen around to steer all that much fun. Graphics look kind of poor to me.

Nothing else really grabs me. I'd like to hear what other games people have tried out so far.
07-12-2008, 02:37 AM
I played Cro-Mag rally on a demo unit while waiting for my iphone 3g to activate.

I thought the controls were remarkable easy to use with the accelerometer. which somewhat surprised me. I haven't tried the Bandicoot racing so I can't compare.

Super Monkey Ball was harder to get used to. But I haven't practiced that much with it.

Check out Aurora Feint: http://toucharcade.com/2008/07/12/fi...the-beginning/ (free)

Oh, and iPint is worth a download for novelty sake. Free.

arn

07-13-2008, 12:53 AM
I know this seems redundant since it's on the front page.

But $2.99, and worth it: Dizzy Bee

http://toucharcade.com/2008/07/12/ig...-and-polished/

arn
07-13-2008, 09:26 AM
ipint! That looks hilarious. I don't have my iphone yet, is that legit on the accellerometers or just a well-timed animation like ibeer was?

-d
07-14-2008, 04:22 AM
Crash Bandicoot Nitro Kart 3D $9.99
Pros:
Well first of all, I just have to say that this is probably the most fun game I have played so far. I was a big fan of Crash Team Racing for PSX so it definitely has the nostalgia factor. However, it really is just an enjoyable game, and the controls really are excellent; no complaints there.
Cons:
I should note, the version of this game is 0.7.4, so there is a chance that all of these issues may be resolved, but I wouldn't count on that. Anyways, my first concern is the frame-rate. There are a few occasional slow-downs, but it's really not often enough that it affects gameplay, just something I noticed. My bigger concern is the long-term playability. There's not a whole lot of tracks (12 according to iTunes, I haven't got that far yet ) Also, no multiplayer. I'm just not sure how long the fun will last.
Conclusion:
Even with my concerns about the long-term playability, I would still consider this a recommended buy for the moment. As I said, it really is the most fun game I have played so far, and if you are a fan of crash team racing, you will probably like it. Also, the controls are super-easy. I haven't tried Cro-mag, or moto-racer so I can't compare, but I would say as of writing this, it is worth $10.

4/5 Stars

Bomberman Touch - The Legend of Mystic Bomb $7.99
Pros:
Well, first of all, its a few dollars cheaper than a few of the other games. Also, it is fun, and for anyone who is a big fan of the bomberman games, you will probably not be disappointed.
Cons:
The controls are a little bit finicky, but overall not too bad. Occasionally, they can be a bit frustrating, but it might just be something I have to get used to.
Conclusion:
Well it's hard to give a full review because, to be honest, I haven't played this one that much yet as it just didn't seem to grab my attention like a few other games. However, that said, it's still fun, and actually challenging, (at least for me, but I never was great at other bomberman games). Also, being at $7.99, I'd say its worth considering, and if you like other bomberman games, you will probably like this.

3/5 Stars

Super Monkey Ball $9.99
Pros:
After, playing Super Monkey Ball on gamecube (and loving it), I was super excited to play this on my iPod touch once I saw it demoed. I even bought it before The iPod Touch 2.0 firmware was released. So needless to say, I went in with high expectations. However, for the most part it has met them. It's fun, the graphics are great, and the controls seem decent.
Cons:
However, it is worth noting that at least for me, this game can be very challenging. Once you get past the first stages, they definitely get a lot tougher, and it can take some patience. However, like all the other games, I really haven't had a chance to play it that much, and in the end I think the higher difficulty might actually give it more longevity than most games.
Conclusion:
Overall, I think anyone who has patience will find this to be a worthwhile purchase. It's fun, easy to learn, and should provide a decent amount of game-time for most people.

4/5 Stars

Texas Hold'em $4.99
Pros:
This is more than just a card game. Apple really went above and beyond on this one. Holding the iPod/iPhone vertically gives first person perspective, and horizontally gives a full table view (which also keeps the game moving a lot faster as it doesn't have to show each player). However, its nice to have the first-person view every once in awhile, as it is visually stunning for a mobile game. Also, I haven't tried it yet, but supposedly it has multiplayer.
Cons:
I guess the only con I can think of is the size. It's 128MB which I think is more than all of my other apps combined.
Conclusion:
If you like Texas Hold'em the card game, there is no reason not to get this. I have no complaints with the game itself. Plays great, looks great, multiplayer and record keeping. Also, the controls mimick actual gameplay moves (i.e. double tap to check, flick your cards in to fold), which is fun. Overall, all that for $5, and its made by Apple themselves so you know its good

5/5 Stars

Sudoku Classic $0.99
Pros:
Easy to use. All the basic features (notes with optional autofill, multiple difficulty, etc). Looks fine.
Cons:
It only has a limited number of puzzles (50/difficulty, 250 total). However, I don't consider myself that great at sudoku, and even I found that the first two levels were too easy, so by the third game I was already playing at the third level. That said, that still leaves 150 puzzles which is plenty for someone like me who doesn't play that often.
Conclusion:
For a very basic, very very cheap Sudoku app, I could not be happier. Perfect little time killer. Also, if the amount of puzzles is a concern for you, the Sudoku Unlimited game ($2.99), is almost exactly the same only with a custom puzzle generator so that it never runs out and few extra skins. At least those are the only differences that I noticed from reading the descriptions, but I haven't actually played the Unlimited version. As a side note, I e-mailed the developer to ask whether the game supported resuming a puzzle after leaving the app (which it does), and their reply was very fast and very helpful, so I have to give them credit on that.

5/5 Stars
08-12-2009, 05:25 PM
So old thread...
08-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotlight View Post
So old thread...
so why the bump

You can contact me @ Skyye06@gmail.com