★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Apple just shot itself- and the devs too!

11-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Send a message via ICQ to cramzy Send a message via Skype™ to cramzy
Apple just shot itself- and the devs too!

Hi!

I just posted on my site:
http://cramzy.com/news.php

So, what do we devs do now? Go to Android?

- Iliya
11-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Good points - the App store is acting nuts.
I just saw that it updated finally.
Seems like in order to make waves you'll have to release an entirely new game.
I've heard sales for Android apps are absolutely terrible though, with the top Devs only making $50 - $100 a day.
I don't think its time to switch yet... Top devs on iPhone are making thousands per day. Still quite a big difference. Maybe in a year things will be different.

11-06-2009, 02:18 PM
But how do you become a big dev on the iPhone? It takes luck or money. How many of us have these two? Not me!
11-06-2009, 02:19 PM
i lol'd @ this thread.

First off, lots of devs claim that being on the release date list doesn't make a noticeable impact on their sales. I'm sure Apple thoroughly investigated that factor before making this move.

Secondly, it is not entirely up to Apple whether or not your app is successful. Here is how to boost your sales from a dev standpoint:

1. Make a good app.
2. Design your keywords perfectly.
3. Make a good app.
4. ???
5. Profit.
11-06-2009, 02:22 PM
You are right - luck. 80% luck 10% marketing 10% talent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravetarget View Post
i lol'd @ this thread.

First off, lots of devs claim that being on the release date list doesn't make a noticeable impact on their sales. I'm sure Apple thoroughly investigated that factor before making this move.

Secondly, it is not entirely up to Apple whether or not your app is successful. Here is how to boost your sales from a dev standpoint:

1. Make a good app.
2. Design your keywords perfectly.
3. Make a good app.
4. ???
5. Profit.
How many apps do you have? How much do you earn?

Make a good app- of course! We have the best jokes app ever made (seriously!). It sells well but if it does not appear on the recently released list once a month it drops in sales. And it's still the best jokes app ever made. It has great rating for the last few updates, so it's sure people love it.

Keywords? 100 000 apps and 100 characters keywords limit? Seriously?
I see this as a good thing, a lot of developers are coming out with tiny updates just to knock themselves to the front of the release list. Now actual NEW things will be featured. If you come out with an update to your app, especially a huge one, there are other ways of people finding out
11-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure Industries View Post
... If you come out with an update to your app, especially a huge one, there are other ways of people finding out
For example?
11-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramzy View Post

Make a good app- of course! We have the best jokes app ever made (seriously!). It sells well but if it does not appear on the recently released list once a month it drops in sales. And it's still the best jokes app ever made. It has great rating for the last few updates, so it's sure people love it.

If your keywords are good and your sales are as decent as you say, you should come up in the first few results when people search for "jokes" regardless of when you released
11-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramzy View Post

The part where I said, "Make a good app" does not mean make the millionth joke app with default interface elements.