★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Anyone else obsessed with Chess with Friends?

01-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Anyone else obsessed with Chess with Friends?

I'm checking that more than my mail. What a great game. I have something like 20 ongoing games, and every day it seems I'm adding more, resigning, or winning. It never gets boring!
01-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Probably the only App I have that gets used multiple times every day.

01-02-2009, 03:45 PM

yup, pretty much the only consistant game i've got going on
01-02-2009, 04:12 PM
the reason i like it so much is i suck a chess and i can take my time and try new things and not have someone making fun of me to my face but im sure they are to them selves
01-02-2009, 04:32 PM
This is the one game that I keep on my front page. The cool thing is that so many people I know own iPhones now, that I usually have 6 or 7 games going on with my friends, then a couple with random people. Playing with your friends raises the stakes, it can be brutal to walk right into a beautifully setup move by one of your best friends and then have to hear him gloat later on that day.

This will be SICK once the new update comes out with chat comes out! Now all we need is apple to make due on its promise for push notifications, and my chess life shall be perfect. Maybe a browser too, I'd really dig that! The more the merrier!

01-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
A chat feature would just be amazing. I'm a little surprised it only has a 2.5 stars rating since it's such a fine product - and one that's free!
01-02-2009, 04:43 PM

I only wished they had a rating system.. I'm not a very good player (ELO 1400 probably, dunno, I only play on the net and with programs) but I still won all games until now.

Vs Chess is also nice, general level is also pretty low, but with some very good players! It's nice to loose once in a while
01-02-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm a big fan of the game and play it often. It's the fastest and almost best suited for a mobile device that you can find. You play your move in seconds and check it again when you're bored or else feel like sitting down to a game.

I would actually love to see their company turn "Chess with Friends" into more of a game network for chess that other developers could either utilize as open source or tap into via lease agreement.

Imagine that framework on other chess games like Deep Green or just the ability to play someone on a mobile with someone on a desktop or though a webapp on Facebook.

That's where I see this app having tons of potential.
01-04-2009, 03:36 AM
Thanks for making this thread and bringing chess with friends to my attention. This is absolutely the best game on the iphone in my opinion. Its chess whenever you want with whoever you want and you can take as much time as you want. Its perfect.

Are there any other game likes chess with friends where you can just keep going on and on. This company needs to make more of these, i would buy them all.

Checkers with friends
Battleship with friends
Chinese checkers with friends

alot of things. Unless there are some already out there like this game. In which case i hope someone enlightens me to it.
01-04-2009, 04:24 AM
Yeah this is amazing. I was skeptical at first, but once I started playing, I have 5 games going and I am having a great time. I wish you could "favorite" people though, and keep playing games with them over and over.

is there a rematch function after a game ends? (I have yet to finish a game.)

I agree, this same company should make "everything with friends" as stated above. Checkers seems super easy, Shogi, Go, XiangQi, Dominos, anything! Charge .99 for them, and make $$$$$