★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Aliens, asteroids, mayhem, and a crabby boss -- Oh boy!

AX-Raven is a 3D side scrolling space shooter that is influenced by classic old school arcade games.

- Classic side scrolling arcade style game play.
- Easy to use interface.
- Stunning 2D and 3D graphics.
- Randomly spawned in real time game play elements.
- Dozens of possible variations that the player can encounter during any game play session.
- Tremendous replay value.

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

11-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Send a message via AIM to tzual
This looks interesting. Do you use the accelerometer?
11-07-2009, 07:40 PM
I actually got this game to TOFTT.
The ship is controlled by touch. You can position the ship anywhere on the screen. As you fly you can pick up powerups in the form of weapons and health replenishment. Weapon powerups have a certain amount of shots before you revert to the original weapon. Your enemies include various asteroids and aliens. The standout feature of this game is backgrounds. They are spectacular and different every time you play. The weapon effects and sounds are good as well. You get 3 lives initially and can pick up extra lives in the form of powerups. The only two criticisms I have relate to ship art and the size of the hit box. The ship itself has jagged lines in it. Compared to the alien ships it looks a bit ugly. Regarding the hit box- I think it should be smaller. Often there is just no way to avoid being hit. Sometimes the hits registered even though (I think) I was clear of the shot or asteroid. I haven't played this game for a long time so these are just initial impressions. Overall, I like the game so far. As I play some more I will add to or alter my initial review.

Edit: I corrected some incorrect details in the initial review. I also had one crash on start up. The game started without a problem after that. If the dev is around I would be happy to send my crash logs.

Last edited by eugekava; 11-07-2009 at 08:05 PM.
11-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Send a message via AIM to tzual
Interesting. I think i'll buy it and see how it is.
11-08-2009, 02:15 AM
Hi eugekava

Thanks for the review! We are currently working on an update to this game...
11-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Looks great and plays great!

Rocketeer Games Studio has put together a solid piece of work for their first iPhone title with excellent production values such as sizzling special effects against a stunning starscape that easily draws you into the core fantasy.

In addition to impressive visuals the GUI elements are slick and well thought out e.g. the ship is positioned in front of the controlling finger rather than over it and the difficultly selector dial is just plain cool. Thankfully they chose not to use the accelerometer which probably wouldnt have worked that well for twice arcade action.

On the downside, there is no background music to further enhance the atmosphere but I suppose you could always improvise with something of your own. Customization or having choices of ships would be nice too.