★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Which games are people playing?

09-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Which games are people playing?

Just out of curiosity ... I was wondering which games people are playing on the iPhones/Touches at the moment?

Personally I'm playing Five Dice (Yahtzee clone) and Touch 'Em (touch-based match-3) ... and enjoying both of them immensely.
09-22-2008, 09:57 AM
I enjoy Five Dice and Elevens Balls. The latter is played on a pool table, but it isn't a pool game. You have to combine numbered pool balls so that the total comes to 11. It keeps you thinking, which is why I enjoy it. I can also play these games on the train/subway rides to work without moving my iPhone around, which is a plus!

09-22-2008, 10:21 AM
At the moment i enjoy playing Blue Skies and Touch Ghosts, both are great games.
09-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Lately I've mostly been playing Galcon. What an incredibly great game, in part due to the excellent internet play and online rankings. If they'd add voice chat, I'd upgrade to a 2g iPod Touch. I sent the author that suggestion.

I've also been playing Butterflies a lot, 2nd only to Galcon, in spite of the fact that the sound was horrendously destroyed by the 2.1 update. I have to play with my headphones out of my ears, and volume turned up loud enough that I can still pick up the audio cues. Having the headphones in is pretty much unbearable due to the screeching and static. It's a very simple, but also eally fun game and for only 99 cents - we just need an audio fix. I sent a note to the developer and included the solution that was posted here by (who... RPGGuy I think?). He thanked me for it, so I expect we'll see an update soon. I also told him he should join these forums.

Other stuff too, but those are the main ones I've been playing lately.
09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Mostly 2 Across, Cubes and Solitaire Forever with a little Galcon thrown in.

Lots of other apps on my Touch, but those are the apps I play regularly.

What I've learned from playing Super Monkey Ball, is that monkeys, in a ball, fall at a speed of 263 mph, on average.
09-22-2008, 01:14 PM
I guess I'm not a very representative player. I play Star Smasher, Metal Angel, Blue Skies, Funky Punch and I'm still slowly working on Monkey Ball. I also play a lot of Galcon, mostly because I can keep listening to my own music when I play it. Play Scrabble with my wife almost every night. It's nice to not have to put the board on top of the refrigerator when we don't finish a game. The only real puzzler I play is Aurora Feint. Again, the amount I play it has more to do with my ability to play my own music than anything else.

I guess people like puzzles for the "quick in - quick out" idea. Personally, any game that will save my progress at any point is a "quick in - quick out" game to me. If my music keeps playing, then it's truly a "quick in - quick out" because I don't have to restart my tunes when I'm done.
09-22-2008, 03:09 PM
MotionX Poker... I've been trying to get to 4,000 for the next table for the past few days.
09-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by break5 View Post
MotionX Poker... I've been trying to get to 4,000 for the next table for the past few days.
Really? Maybe I put in more time on the game than other players, but I have only had it for 6 days and my Bankroll is $62k. I have 9h 5m in.
09-22-2008, 03:58 PM
MotionX Poker is fun until you've unlocked all the dice and tables. Then you finally realize that all you've been doing is rolling dice over and over again. ;^) It's fun while it lasts, but it's not really much more than a slot machine with "achievements" and once you've gotten all of them, or most, you'll probably never play it again. It's worth the 99 cent asking price, though (I paid the original price.) Also, I think they should have made the different dice sets be unlocked by achievements rather than just by getting 5 of a kind. Perhaps have some unlocked by 5 of a kind, and some special dice unlocked by achievements. That would be a lot more fun then just getting a "gem".

Also, pick up the free dice rolling app from them. Could come in handy some day.
09-22-2008, 04:08 PM
I've purchased about $150 or more worth of games so I will give my 2:

Asphalt 4: Elite Racing ($9.99)
This is one of the games I like just because it still amazes me that my phone has such power! It has a good soundtrack and the graphics are great. The game does feel a little buggy at times with the way you steer and I am not sure which method I prefer (accelerometer, tap the sides, or wheel). I got a little bored with it after a while, but it's probably the best racer out there. Edit: What do you know, an update was released right after I posted this. Maybe the controls feel better.

Aurora Feint (Free)
At times it feels like you are just a beta tester, but for free this is such an awesome game. Just try it, you have nothing to lose and will not find a more polished title in the free category.

BattleAtSea ($4.99)
With local Wi-Fi battles available, my wife and I play before bed (she puts me to shame). The interface is done well.

Chopper ($4.99)
Out of all the games that try to make use of the accelerometer, this is one of the few that feels just right. You can adjust the tilt angle, which should be a must in any of these games. It's a fairly easy game until you move the difficulty level up to Hard. I have played this quite a bit and do not regret buying it.

Dizzy Bee ($2.99)
This was one of the first I bought. I wasn't too sure about such a girly looking game but it was a great purchase. I find it to be a great compromise between silly-fun and serious-challenges. Try out the free demo first. I like the originality of this game.

MotionX Poker ($0.99)
This was an awesome surprise for me. I've gotta tell you that I play this way more than some of the $10 games I have purchased. The gameplay is fast-paced and easy to pickup at any time. I love the accomplishments feature, it gives you some satisfaction to reach the goals. Overall, it's just got a very, very polished feel for $0.99. Easter Egg: Try moving the paper-roll titles.

Tetris ($7.99)
I don't get it. Everyone wants to complain because their precious free alternative to this game (Tris) was taken down due to EA's legal pressure. While you may agree or disagree with that action, I have no problem recommending this Tetris game. I have been enjoying Tetris since my GameBoy days, and I probably wouldn't have bought another Tetris title anytime soon if it hadn't have had the touch interaction. I was intrigued so I took a chance on it. I must say that I love it. The controls feel awesome and there is a very satisfying thud you get when you swipe your finger down, woo hoo! The Magic mode is pretty cool and a nice touch to keep it fresh. I think it looks a lot better than the screenshots would lead you to believe (or the 2.5 stars, which is ridiculously off).

I have purchased a lot more, but those are the ones I felt inclined to comment on and have been playing lately.

Cheers!

Last edited by Techtistic; 09-23-2008 at 09:19 AM.