★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Rejections: the weird and frustrating

11-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Rejections: the weird and frustrating

I searched for a thread like this but couldn't find one.

The free version of our game was first submitted in September. Within a week, it came back 'Your App was REJECTED'.

The reason: We used the keyword 'Demo'. Free versions cannot be called a demo nor a trial version. We had build a new binary in order to resubmit, just so that we could change a single keyword.

We haven't had any problems since.

I'd like to hear experiences from other developers- I know there are some crazy rejections out there.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone

Last edited by Flickitty; 11-08-2009 at 07:25 PM.
11-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Sounds logical being rejected on those grounds. And by logical, I mean Apple's definition of logical

11-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Apparently it's a rule somewhere in the guidelines about the word "demo"

Stupid rule. I can see why Apple want to avoid a load of demos mixed in with the real apps. I guess 'lite' or 'free' does appear slightly better to customer perceptions.
11-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Probably because having lite versions looks better. Apple boasts about its 120,000 apps, or whatever, but they really couldn't claim that if half were called demos. "Lite version" sounds like a fully functional app, just with a few less features than the "pro version".

Galaxy Note 5, iPad Air 1
11-08-2009, 11:33 PM
it might be because the words demo and trial are associated with other things like construction(demolition) and litigation a trail could also mean an ordeal or strugglesp some apps might have it in thier title or there might be apps that demonstrate some sort of yoga move karate kick to the groin martial art skill that some people might like to practice and master. apple might have started to disallow these words for trial version apps in an ongoing effort to to improve whatever it is blah blah blah im tired of typing you probably know what i mean

genres are not to be seen as forms of textual codifications, but as systems of orientations, expectations and conventions that circulate between industry, text and subject.
11-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickitty View Post
I searched for a thread like this but couldn't find one.
The free version of our game was first submitted in September. Within a week, it came back 'Your App was REJECTED'.
yep. we've had our share of issues - one of the first

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-rejec...ement-1055771/
http://www.geek.com/articles/apple/a...words-2009098/
http://www.macplus.net/itrafik/depec...ur-un-mot-clef

we used the word "facebook" if you dig into the developer pages; they have a bunch of guidelines around keywords (now).. which you can read and get a good idea of what you should and should not do. it is very frustrating you need to resubmit a binary for this - they should just be removing the bad keywords for you and approving your application.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
11-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagami_Light View Post
"Lite version" sounds like a fully functional app, just with a few less features than the "pro version".
Bingo. The apps have to be fully functional apps. That's why they don't allow you to show locked levels in your "lite" version(read the second half of this blog post for more info: http://gamesfromwithin.com/at-the-mercy-of-apples-whim) Annoying, but at least they're somewhat consistent.
11-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobile1up View Post
we used the word "facebook" if you dig into the developer pages; they have a bunch of guidelines around keywords (now).. which you can read and get a good idea of what you should and should not do. it is very frustrating you need to resubmit a binary for this - they should just be removing the bad keywords for you and approving your application.
For a lot of developers, I think getting rejected over a keyword would suck, just because you have to resubmit a new binary and start the process over.

That rejection actually helped us in the long run.

The original name of our game was simply called 'Flick'. Doing a google search for flick return a mess of irrelevant links. 'Flick' also closely resembles the f-word when capitalized. And then there are the mess of games titled 'Flick Bowling', 'Flick Fishing', which could cause confusion.

That extra week allowed us to rethink the title, and make the change to 'Flickitty' before resubmitting. It also bought us some time to update a few things that would have appeared in the first update. Flickitty never actually had a 1.0 version- we entered at 1.01.

At this point, I'm not sure the keywords actually do anything.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
11-09-2009, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricGrandpa View Post
Bingo. The apps have to be fully functional apps. That's why they don't allow you to show locked levels in your "lite" version(read the second half of this blog post for more info: http://gamesfromwithin.com/at-the-mercy-of-apples-whim) Annoying, but at least they're somewhat consistent.
Unless you're ngmoco, in which case you're even allowed to put a 'locked levels' screenshot as the game's #2 image in the App Store. Check out Star Defense Prelude.
11-09-2009, 02:23 AM
My latest app Insulting Monk was first rejected for using the bundle-display name iMonk.

It was then rejected for using the japanese sign "Kuso" in the background of my title-screen.

I guess, both are understandable(ish). Anyway, friday the app was released and I'm happy to tellyou that the sales are exceeding 2 copies a day!