★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

App store ranking

11-10-2009, 09:25 PM
App store ranking

Can someone please tell me how the app store rankings work. I have a few apps in the app store but I can't seem to understand the ranking system. I released my latest game hanidoku and it sold 30 the first day and it went to number 54 under puzzles and then fell out by the end of the day.

The next 10 or so days, the sales went to 5 a day. I spent some money on advertising, posting to forums like TA, asking more friends to buy it, and much more. After doing this I got 32 sales in one day and got to number 23 under puzzles.
I did more posting and anything else I can do so I can move up, and the whole day I stayed at number 23 or so.
The next day I sold 139 and I thought I was on my way to moving up. Then I kept checking the rankings every hour or so because it seems that the app store is based on hourly (as far as the rankings).

The whole day I never got higher than 23. The next day, I sold 29. I don't understand how that could have been. When I sold 32, I got to number 23, when I sold 139, I didn't move much, then I sold 29 and started moving down.

Now I am at 81 and I sold 10 yesterday. How could this be, can anyone tell me? or has had experience that can help me.

I read it's good to bunch up your sales and I tried my best to get all my friends to buy around the same time but nothing is working.

T-bone
RevApps
www.twitter.com/revapps
Marco Popo - Join the Network....
11-10-2009, 09:35 PM
No one really knows how the ranking works.
I suspects that even guys at Apple know this

11-10-2009, 09:36 PM
proaby some complex algorithm

ssɐ sıɥ dn ɯǝɥʇ ǝʌoɥs puɐ sƃuıɹ dıɥsuoıdɯɐɥɔ sǝıɹǝs plɹoʍ ㄥᄅ sǝǝʞuɐʎ ǝɥʇ ǝʞɐʇ uɐɔ ıpɹɐɹıƃ ǝoɾ
11-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglover411 View Post
proaby some complex algorithm
probably some very messy piece of code. like this one i wouldn't call it an algorithm
11-10-2009, 10:06 PM
I figured

this was the case, I did so much research and no one seems to know, I hope if any one ever finds out then they post

T-bone
RevApps
www.twitter.com/revapps
Marco Popo - Join the Network....
11-10-2009, 10:49 PM
You should know that sales are not consistent every day of the week in the App Store. X Number of Sales does not guarantee Y Position on any given day.

Also, the new and big hot games of the moment will mess with the store, as everyone is pushed around.

I wouldn't advise buying ads right now (although, you already did). They are a waste of money and do virtually nothing to your daily sales. The only people that make money off those ads are the people that sold the ad.

How many promo codes do you have, how many have you distributed (and to who?) and how many are accounted for? Don't send codes blindly to a website, you may never see a return nor a response.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
11-11-2009, 03:06 PM
7-day weighted average

If you search, you'll find a lot of blog and forum posts about how app store rankings work. Everyone has their own theories. One that we've found useful can be found here:

http://tii.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=522655#

It's someone's analysis, so it may not be completely accurate, but they've used their own sales data to determine that rankings are based on a 7-day weighted average, with the last 3 days contributing the most.

Also, even though rankings are averaged over a certain time period, they update on the app store every couple hours (at least that's what it seems like).

Keep in mind that if you're looking at rankings for a specific store (e.g., the US store), then you have to analyze your ranking based on the sales for just that store, not all sales.

Backgammon NJ | TV Grid Listings - XMLTV Viewer | Spellbound NJ
http://iphone.njsoftware.com
11-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Once we understand that there is not only one app on the store, the rankings make a lot more sense.

One of the reasons you might have been confused by your ranking changes is because of this situation:

Your sales spiked, though, your ranking stayed in the same region.

Reason? Other app sales spiked as well.

just a theory really.
11-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootant View Post
probably some very messy piece of code. like this one i wouldn't call it an algorithm
Are you kidding me? That code makes perfect sense!

OT: Yes, the App Rankings are all messed up, it has always been that way.
11-11-2009, 10:53 PM
How do you check the ranking of your app? My app isn't in the top 100 because I can't see it in the app store but it might be interesting to see how far off it is.

"when he eats three poops and becomes muscle bound, that was worth the .99 right there." -Super Fly!
Tetris and Bubble Wrap had a baby and named it Super Juicy!
TouchGen Best of 2009 Finalist! 5/5 Best of 2009