★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is it just me, or is this a blatant rip-off?

11-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Is it just me, or is this a blatant rip-off?

Parachute Panic, meet Aerial Wonderland...

• Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth • Parachute Panic • Chicken Raid
• Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox
11-13-2009, 10:11 AM
lol wow seriously?

11-13-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm sure there'll be plent y of people to say it's a genre, and the one on the right has got balloons and a growth chart on the left. Actually it looks like the graphics of Parachute panic and the gameplay of one of those Up style games.

Playing: Solipskier, Edge, Ground Effect, Bobble Surfer, Minigore, 2012 Zombies vs Aliens, iSR, Pocket God, Slotz, Zen Bound 2, Crazy Snowboard, Vector Tank, ...
11-13-2009, 10:38 AM
When your graphics are stick figures, one won't look that much different from the other. It doesn't look like one game has copied images from the other, and the gameplay looks different, so you really don't have a case here due to the art styles being the same.
11-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comassion View Post
When your graphics are stick figures, one won't look that much different from the other. It doesn't look like one game has copied images from the other, and the gameplay looks different, so you really don't have a case here due to the art styles being the same.
I don't know if he has a 'case' but the second game definitely copied a lot of details pretty literally. Wow! Its pretty bad IMHO.

"when he eats three poops and becomes muscle bound, that was worth the .99 right there." -Super Fly!
Tetris and Bubble Wrap had a baby and named it Super Juicy!
TouchGen Best of 2009 Finalist! 5/5 Best of 2009
11-13-2009, 11:00 AM
le sigh (face ficus) actually aerial wonderland looks pretty cool because of their inventive use of color. it doesnt look like the developers of wonderland are intentionally trying to rip off parachute panic it just looks like they cant draw.

genres are not to be seen as forms of textual codifications, but as systems of orientations, expectations and conventions that circulate between industry, text and subject.
11-13-2009, 11:06 AM
To me, it's the same. Positioning of "Score/Best", the choppers, the overall feel. Everything.

Currently Playing: (iPad2) Angry Birds Space HD | MASS EFFECT™ INFILTRATOR | Hunters 2 | Sky Gamblers: Air Supremacy | Flight Control Rocket | Azkend 2 HD: The World Beneath | rComplex | Zuma's Revenge HD | Rhianna Ford & The DaVinci Letter HD | Zepi:Spring HD | Reiner Knizia's Deck Buster | (iPhone) Doodle God™
11-13-2009, 11:20 AM
First off, just to clarify, I was talking about a visual-copying, rather than a gameplay-copying.
Secondly, I have my suspicions that it's more than just "copying" anyway...

Having drawn all the PP assets by hand myself, I am intimately familiar with every pixel of them, and I actually think some of the simpler assets have been taken from the game, distorted, and re-used.

Look at the button outlines on the Main Menu screen... It's a bit of a weird coincidence that the overlapping corners match in the same way, where the upright lines DO cross the horizontal lines at the bottom-corners, but they do NOT cross at the top-corners...

And I don't think Parachute Panic is the only game where assets have been nicked... Those non-anti-aliased / "pixelised" coins are drawn in a very very different style to the rest of the game.
Same goes for the "glossy" balloons. It looks like a poor mish-mash of assorted elements from elsewhere, plus a few of their own drawn graphics thrown in to pad it out...

• Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth • Parachute Panic • Chicken Raid
• Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox

Last edited by BrettArchibald; 11-13-2009 at 11:39 AM.
11-13-2009, 11:22 AM
at first glance it looks close, but the gameplay is different, one has you landing, the other going up, and there are definitely differences in how the fonts are items are drawn including the copters, and the 'best' is in different places, one has score, the other coins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
11-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Maybe. The games industry is pretty "blatant ripoff" friendly, though. One could make the argument that blatant ripoffs are pretty much how most new games are made. They can be tolerated if they bring something new to the original idea; I've seen way more shameless ripoffs on the App Store.