★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Chromixa - new colour-blending puzzle game

11-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Chromixa - Sneak Peek of New Colour Blending Puzzle Game

Hi all, I'm an independent developer about to release his first iPhone game. It's a unique colour-blending puzzle game called Chromixa.

Apologies for the rough nature of the videos. I'll work on a decent looking trailer once the game's been submitted. In the meantime I'd love to hear any feedback or comments whilst there's still time to tweak things!

Have a great weekend,

Simon.

Description

Arrange shapes of light to complete beautifully-designed puzzles. Like a jigsaw of light, the shapes' colours combine, allowing them to fill an outline with a single colour. As you complete puzzles, the points you earn can be used to unlock fun arcade-style mini games. Like all good puzzle games, Chromixa has a simple concept which can create complex challenges.

Features:

* 48 puzzles
* Puzzles progress from being simple to pick up, to challenging enough for the most experienced
* 3 arcade-style mini colour games to unlock and play
* Animated introduction tutorial
* Original music soundtrack by Stian Stark

Last edited by siwatson; 11-14-2009 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Edited to link to images rather than attachments
11-13-2009, 04:57 PM
I like the concept. However the graphics in the menu system looks a bit rough.

11-14-2009, 06:51 AM
Glad you like the concept. I wanted the menu system to have a simple, geometric, slightly retro look that incorporated the red/green/blue mixing concept of the game. The YouTube video quality is pretty poor (my fault I'm sure), so that probably isn't doing the visuals any favours.
11-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by siwatson View Post
Glad you like the concept. I wanted the menu system to have a simple, geometric, slightly retro look that incorporated the red/green/blue mixing concept of the game. The YouTube video quality is pretty poor (my fault I'm sure), so that probably isn't doing the visuals any favours.
Yes but details like the difficulty tabs in the menu not extending all the way look kinda broken to me. But anyway enough nitpicking, are you planning on releasing it before christmas?
11-14-2009, 12:02 PM
You've definitely got a good eye for detail :-) The gap to the right of the tabs is actually a placeholder for a 4th tab that opens the in-built puzzle editor I've been using during development. But you're absolutely right that this gap shouldn't normally be there so I've now fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out and if you've got any similar comments/suggestions, then do please let me know as they're appreciated.
11-14-2009, 12:03 PM
I plan to submit to the AppStore in the next week so, with a bit of luck, it should be available before Christmas.
11-15-2009, 04:40 AM
looks very cool. In the last picture it says red+green=yellow. I thought yellow and blue made green?
11-15-2009, 06:10 AM
This looks really good fun, ive been after a new puzzle game for a while and this looks like it will fit the bill.

the style of the graphics is ace!
11-15-2009, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheredoibegin View Post
looks very cool. In the last picture it says red+green=yellow. I thought yellow and blue made green?
It's a good question. Basically, yellow & blue inks will mix to produce green, because you're seeing reflected light. For emitted light (like an LCD screen), red and green light create yellow. Technically, it's subtractive vs additive color blending. You can read more on Wikipedia: Color Theory

If this all sounds complicated, don't worry! You don't need to know any of it to play Chromixa. Just understanding the basic combination of red, green, and blue will help though.
11-20-2009, 06:59 AM
thanks for the link. you learn something new every day! looking forward to trying your game. when do you think it will be on sale?