★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Settlers or Civilization: Rev.

11-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Settlers or Civilization: Rev.

Hey there, I am interested in this type of game and wanted some feedback from players of both. Which would you recommend? I have played the PC version of Civ but I understand this is not necessarily the same so maybe that experience isn't so valuable. I have never played a Settlers game. Which do you prefer, and why?
11-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Hey, welcome to Touch Arcade!
I would recommend Civilization, simply because it seemed it had more depth to me. Advancing your technology, going through the ages, alot of the standard things about Civilization seemed incredibly deep, and the turn based nature of the game made for much more compelling strategy. Pulling off a large scale invasion on multiple fronts in Civilization was one of the most satisfying things I'd accomplished on an iPod game. However, The Settlers was MUCH easier to start with, and the faster games made for quicker battles, unlike the day long fare that is Civilization. Civilization still saves your battles if you leave the game, but not many people want to spend so much time in a single war. Also, another thing to take into consideration was your playtime with the PC version of Civilization. I played quite alot of some of the older ones, and aside from micromanagement and menu layout, the Portable version fit right in.
In the end, I personally prefer Civilization to The Settlers, but the hard nature and mass amounts of micromanagement may turn off the casual strategist.

Currently Listening To: Wolfmother

11-14-2009, 12:57 PM
I'd go with Civ Rev. It's one of the more polished games in the iTunes Store and certainly one of the best values. I paid $5 for it, and I've played it for dozens upon dozens of hours. It's my official game to play while working out--the time just FLIES by. It's definitely one of those "just one more turn" types of games.

Plus, it's not likely to drop below $5, whereas Settlers (being a Gameloft game) will drop in price sooner or later.
11-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Not sure you can accurately compare the two as one is turn based and the other is real time.

I much prefer The Settlers, as you get the impression you have created a living breathing little town. You get to build an economy from the ground up and its rather entertaining to watch your little town go about its business. Its frame rate stays very smooth even with dozens of little men wandering around doing their work.

Civilization has a free light version, you should check that out.
11-14-2009, 01:43 PM
oh, a lite version.... Doh.!

Thanks for the replies!!
11-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Send a message via AIM to RankoSao
I have a question... if you have the DS version of Civilization, is it really worth picking up the iPhone version?
11-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uSICu View Post
Hey, welcome to Touch Arcade!
In the end, I personally prefer Civilization to The Settlers, but the hard nature and mass amounts of micromanagement may turn off the casual strategist.
I'm sorry, but have you even played Settlers? It has about 5 times the micromanagement level of Civ. In Civ, you have a settler make a city, that city automatically produces food, culture and gold based on the territory surrounding it. In Settlers, you start off with some wood and some stone, with that you need to build a food supply building (fisheries, farms, slaughterhouses, etc.) With that food you can now supply miners to mine the iron, coal, gold and sulfur that you then give to the refineries, which then goes to the weaponsmiths, toolsmiths, and vehicle builders. THEN, with all that accomplished, you can recruit and supply and army to destroy your enemies.

Bottom line: If you want to fight other countries, go with Civ, if you want to build up an economy in order to destroy you enemies, choose Settlers.
11-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person47 View Post
I'm sorry, but have you even played Settlers? It has about 5 times the micromanagement level of Civ. In Civ, you have a settler make a city, that city automatically produces food, culture and gold based on the territory surrounding it. In Settlers, you start off with some wood and some stone, with that you need to build a food supply building (fisheries, farms, slaughterhouses, etc.) With that food you can now supply miners to mine the iron, coal, gold and sulfur that you then give to the refineries, which then goes to the weaponsmiths, toolsmiths, and vehicle builders. THEN, with all that accomplished, you can recruit and supply and army to destroy your enemies.

Bottom line: If you want to fight other countries, go with Civ, if you want to build up an economy in order to destroy you enemies, choose Settlers.
+1, Civ Rev is not just not what it's meant to be on this platform.
Ftw gameloftttt.

Twitter: @back2this
11-14-2009, 05:27 PM
You can't really compare the two, choose civilizaton for turn based, the settlers for RTS. If you want more strategy and thinking, choose civilization. If you want quick, sharp decision making, choose the settlers.

Beta Tester of: Icarus-X, Zenonia 2, IMO, Caligo Chaser, Zenonia, Car Jack Streets, Defender Chronicles and more. Beta testing: NeverEndingDefending, 9 Innings: Pro Baseball 2011, and The Jim & Frank Mysteries!!
All I have tested
11-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Send a message via AIM to RankoSao
Could someone answer my question please? I dont want to make a new topic when theres already a topic here,but i will if i have to..