★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Reign of Swords

09-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Reign of Swords

My initial impressions of this are that it's fantastic. I have not spent as much time with it as i would like too, but i think it's a safe bet for anyone who enjoys strategy games.

It feels like a complete, fully featured release, not like your typical iphone fare. This is something that would be right at home on a DS or PSP. There is lots of variety in the unit types, all kinds of special abilities, upgrades to be won from battle, terrain effects on unit stats, and story sequences with character portraits. It's essentially "Advance Wars" crossed with "Fire Emblem".

Anyone that's concerned about the price being too high, it's worth it. This is one of the deepest offerings on the iphone so far. If you like turn based strategy, check it out.
09-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformatPlanet View Post
My initial impressions of this are that it's fantastic. I have not spent as much time with it as i would like too, but i think it's a safe bet for anyone who enjoys strategy games.

It feels like a complete, fully featured release, not like your typical iphone fare. This is something that would be right at home on a DS or PSP. There is lots of variety in the unit types, all kinds of special abilities, upgrades to be won from battle, terrain effects on unit stats, and story sequences with character portraits. It's essentially "Advance Wars" crossed with "Fire Emblem".

Anyone that's concerned about the price being too high, it's worth it. This is one of the deepest offerings on the iphone so far. If you like turn based strategy, check it out.
Thanks for the info, before I buy it, did you see any significant bugs?? :P

09-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudehuge View Post
Thanks for the info, before I buy it, did you see any significant bugs?? :P

no real bugs, however the menus are somewhat "clumsy" and moving around the maps can be a bit difficult but that's more a design issue than bugs. with the game menus, it's hard to tell if you can scroll down and when you can, scrolling itself can be a bit clunky since you might either scroll or accdentally select something that you didn't mean to.

also, i haven't experienced any crashes with the game so far and the good thing is, the game saves are uploaded to their servers so if anything went wrong you could always download your game progress from their servers back onto your device.

overall, i'm pleased with the purchase. it reminds me a lot of fire emblem for the gba.
09-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel View Post
no real bugs, however the menus are somewhat "clumsy" and moving around the maps can be a bit difficult but that's more a design issue than bugs. with the game menus, it's hard to tell if you can scroll down and when you can, scrolling itself can be a bit clunky since you might either scroll or accdentally select something that you didn't mean to.

also, i haven't experienced any crashes with the game so far and the good thing is, the game saves are uploaded to their servers so if anything went wrong you could always download your game progress from their servers back onto your device.

overall, i'm pleased with the purchase. it reminds me a lot of fire emblem for the gba.
Cool, I'll throw my hard earned cash on it then, thanks. :P
09-23-2008, 12:14 PM
I agree with the menus being less then spectacular in comparison to the rest of the presentation. Probably something to do with it's port to the iphone from other devices. I'm sure we can expect some tweaking with future updates.

I'm curious if anyone has had a chance to get into the online aspect of the game. Sounds like it has great potential.
09-23-2008, 12:17 PM
I was put off by the simple graphics at first, but it sounded like an interesting game. I've been waiting for a multiplayer game like this to come to the iPhone (seriously, it's the perfect device for MMOs).
I'm glad I bought it; it's surprisingly well done. The graphics aren't very polished, but the gameplay is. The first thing it makes you do is set up camp and make war plans. Any game that makes you make plans has a lot of depth. Hopefully this game will catch on fast and we can get some real wars going.

Definitely worth your $8. Actually, it's worth spending a lot more than that, but get while it's $8.
09-23-2008, 12:55 PM
I think the graphics are kind of charming. The characters are small but still seem to show an impressive amount of detail, and i was really surprised to see they all had simple battle animations.

It's probably difficult to find the right balance between good and practical graphics for a game like this. The characters would have to be larger to show more detail, but then not as many would fit on the screen, etc, etc.
09-23-2008, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
I was put off by the simple graphics at first, but it sounded like an interesting game. I've been waiting for a multiplayer game like this to come to the iPhone (seriously, it's the perfect device for MMOs).
I'm glad I bought it; it's surprisingly well done. The graphics aren't very polished, but the gameplay is. The first thing it makes you do is set up camp and make war plans. Any game that makes you make plans has a lot of depth. Hopefully this game will catch on fast and we can get some real wars going.

Definitely worth your $8. Actually, it's worth spending a lot more than that, but get while it's $8.
Right now it's not the perfect device for MMOs because 3rd party Apps can't run on the background. Meaning when you're in the heat of the battle then someone calls you, your game closes. Sure the devs can set a time limit so that you can reconnect but that's unfair to the other player that's waiting for you.

I hope Apple can have like a "Trusted" dev program for indies and big companies alike that have proven that they won't mess up the iPhone OS, and allow their apps to run on the background. Especially with this unlimited data plan, this device is amazing for online play.
01-08-2010, 05:21 PM
1.2.42 update is out

What's new
- All new and improved upgrade army user interface
- Ability to listen to iPod music while playing ROS
- Ability to set sound setting at Punch Logo screen
- Increase maximum number of unit to 250 from 200
- Improved font type, scrolling, and network connectivity
- Several major bug fixes including many user reported issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
01-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishly Good View Post
1.2.42 update is out

What's new
- All new and improved upgrade army user interface
- Ability to listen to iPod music while playing ROS
- Ability to set sound setting at Punch Logo screen
- Increase maximum number of unit to 250 from 200
- Improved font type, scrolling, and network connectivity
- Several major bug fixes including many user reported issues
oO