★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Borders or not?

11-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Borders or not?

I have a dumb question. Do you like a border on an app icon?

Just a few icons:
Attached Images

OMG. Double Rainbow!
User ID: Gryphon23 Agon: Gman23
"Birthday Cake, is just Birthday Cake without a little gravy..." Gravy makes EVERYTHING better.
11-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Depends on th eicon, like the old AG icon needed a border, the new one, not so much.

11-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon23 View Post
No, in fact, I think it takes away from the "appiness" of an app. The only one I've seen where it compliments the design, rather than hedges it in and distracts the elegant lines is Zentomino's gorgeous icon (as well as TanZen).

Currently Playing: (iPad2) Angry Birds Space HD | MASS EFFECT™ INFILTRATOR | Hunters 2 | Sky Gamblers: Air Supremacy | Flight Control Rocket | Azkend 2 HD: The World Beneath | rComplex | Zuma's Revenge HD | Rhianna Ford & The DaVinci Letter HD | Zepi:Spring HD | Reiner Knizia's Deck Buster | (iPhone) Doodle God™
11-17-2009, 09:41 AM
generally it's a bad idea but real racing and I dig it seem to have pulled it off quite well.
11-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
No, in fact, I think it takes away from the "appiness" of an app. The only one I've seen where it compliments the design, rather than hedges it in and distracts the elegant lines is Zentomino's gorgeous icon (as well as TanZen).
Wow, thanks! I'm glad you like them!
11-17-2009, 04:28 PM
I prefer the icons to have borders and the "shiny" effect with the shading. It makes them look kind of like buttons. Otherwise, they look too "flat."
11-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Send a message via AIM to dogmeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon23 View Post

Just a few icons:
it all depends on the icon. If you have strong artwork a 1 or 2 px stroke of similar colors wouldn't hurt.

The geodefense ( I think ) icon for example is way too simplistic and looks like the game has low production value.

Artist | Designer
@PixelDogmeat
11-17-2009, 04:53 PM
I really don't like icons where they just leave the outside black so it is oddly shaped on the display - with that in mind I do like borders as it discourages that practice.

A bigger no-no IMO is having the app name in the icon ... as well as a couple of millimetres below ><!