★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Official Super Breakout $0.99 Sale

09-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Official Super Breakout $0.99 Sale

Recent legal drama aside, i think the game is well put together and fun. It's probably the best in the genre for the iphone, and it should be as the "Official" representation.

I like Breakout in general, but was never really impressed with the other 3rd party apps. This version seems to have a lot of bells and whistles, and it plays well, so i think i'm getting my moneys worth. If games like Tetris and Scrabble had come out at the 4.99 price point, i would be more inclined to get them as well. 4.99 feels like a good price for a port of a simple, popular title.

At least the game feels more like it was made for the iphone then some of the other ports. One of the power-ups blocks off the bottom of the screen and gives you tilt control over the ball for a limited time. This ends up being a really fun addition to the mix and a great way to clear the screen fast.

All in all, now that the other apps are still in the app store, just with new names, it seems like Atari had a right to pressure for the change. If they had them removed outright, that would be a different story.
09-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformatPlanet View Post
Recent legal drama aside, i think the game is well put together and fun. It's probably the best in the genre for the iphone, and it should be as the "Official" representation.

I like Breakout in general, but was never really impressed with the other 3rd party apps. This version seems to have a lot of bells and whistles, and it plays well, so i think i'm getting my moneys worth. If games like Tetris and Scrabble had come out at the 4.99 price point, i would be more inclined to get them as well. 4.99 feels like a good price for a port of a simple, popular title.

At least the game feels more like it was made for the iphone then some of the other ports. One of the power-ups blocks off the bottom of the screen and gives you tilt control over the ball for a limited time. This ends up being a really fun addition to the mix and a great way to clear the screen fast.

All in all, now that the other apps are still in the app store, just with new names, it seems like Atari had a right to pressure for the change. If they had them removed outright, that would be a different story.
I got it and I like it, good for them to charge only 4.99 for it unlike Namco which charges 7.99 - 9.99 for horrible ports.

09-23-2008, 01:07 PM
I have to give them credit for pricing this reasonably, unlike so many of the other commercial games. And, yeah, so far at least, they haven't actually forced the competing games off the AppStore, only forced them to change their names. That seems completely reasonable.
09-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Indeed. They could have been more draconian and requested a removal, so credit where it's due to Atari.
I wish Taito would release an arcade-perfect version of their classic arcade Breakout game Arkanoid II: The Revenge of Doh.
09-23-2008, 03:18 PM
I had the Arkanoid theme tune as my ringtone until recently
09-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Does anyone have this as well as Ikanoid? I have the latter and am wondering if Super Breakout worth the buy when comparing the two.
09-23-2008, 04:21 PM
so, I've played this for a bit now. I find it a bit easy and a bit boring. There are a limited number of power ups. I haven't played ikanoid for a while, but I think it's the more "fun" game.

super breakout is very well done, and certainly feels like a solid game.

I'm going to go back and play some ikanoid later tonight to see how it compares.

arn
09-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Send a message via AIM to XOrlandoPX
I love Ikanoid but the game is very buggy, so be very careful. Every once in a while the ball will get stuck and you will have to restart all over or your progress will get deleted; if your the type of person who gets frustrated easily avoid Ikanoid lol. I wish they would release some sort of update for it.
09-23-2008, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XOrlandoPX View Post
I love Ikanoid but the game is very buggy, so be very careful. Every once in a while the ball will get stuck and you will have to restart all over or your progress will get deleted; if your the type of person who gets frustrated easily avoid Ikanoid lol. I wish they would release some sort of update for it.
Crap, I almost forgot about that. I've only had the ball get totally stuck once. It glitches out and rides the edge of the screen quite a bit though. At least I only paid $0.99 and I can hope for an update.
09-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Stutters?

I played through this a bunch today, still find it very enjoyable. If you get tired of playing the set stages, progressive mode offers more of a ramped up challenge.

Its great they included classic Breakout, but the original hasn't aged well, so i don't expect to be playing it much.

I did start to notice some performance problems with the ball kind of skipping around the stage. This could be a memory problem, and more often then not it resulted in amusing results, like the ball suddenly teleporting into a cluster of blocks and wiping them out. There were a few occasions that it skipped over my paddle though, and thats not cool.